Michigan-Grand Rapids

Venue help!

I am looking for a venue in West Michigan, on water if possible. I am trying to plan from Nebraska so I will only have limited time to look at places when I am home. I am looking to have the wedding and reception at the same place for about 150 people. We are open for an indoor or outdoor setting. Any suggestions/help would be a BIG help! Thanks!!

Re: Venue help!

• Spartan5Spartan5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How far north or south are you willing to go? The only place I know of for sure is Camp Blodgett (grand haven) but they have a very tough booking policy. This a good place to check if you're interested in Holland at all http://holland.org/sections/69-wedding-resource-guideOtherwise the farther north you go (ie traverse city) the more options you have.I think Gun Lake in the Grand Rapids area has a nice wedding reception place as well. Good Luck!
  • AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have really loved to book Camp Blodgett, but I thought they were charging WAY too much.  It's beautiful though, and if you aren't on a tight budget like we are, it would be fantastic.
  • 1xBitten2xshy1xBitten2xshy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having my reception at Long Lake park in Sparta, about half an hour north of Grand Rapids. It is a small inland lake, but is very pretty. They have an enclosed pavillion that will hold about 150, I think. Many weddings and receptions have taken place there. There is a big lawn you could hold the wedding on, and have the reception right there as well. One of my favorite parts is the big fire place in the pavillion. It is $480 or so to hold for the day (10a - 10p). I'm not good at the "link thing", but the web address for it is http://www.accesskent.com/CultureLeisureAndTransit/Parks/long.htm. There is no picture of it, but I'll try to get one this weekend when I'm up there if you are interested. Best wishes on your long distance planning!
  • marcyjmarcyj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could try the Eberhard Center at GVSU.  It's in Grand Rapids but it does overlook the river.
  • tlynndttlynndt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also planning a West Michigan wedding for next summer from New York. So difficult! I have found a few locations that might be of interest to you though as I'm looking for pretty much the exact same thing. First thing that comes to mind is Bay Pointe on Gun Lake. It has a nice restaurant and hotel and it's right on the water. There's also Fallasburg Park in Lowell. It's a public park but it's right on the river and there's a beautiful covered bridge. There is also an enclosed pavilion you can rent out for the reception. Drawback is that I think it's only available 10am to 10pm so it would have to end early if you are having an evening event. Another great place we saw is Michillinda Lodge in Whitehall. It's right on Lake Michigan and the ambiance is lovely as it's an older place. For a more rustic event Bowen's Mill in Yankee Springs is lovely. It is right by a stream and there's an historic mill that can be open during your reception for people to see. Anyway, hope this helps. If I think of anything else I'll post!
  • edited December 2011
    Bay Point is quite expensive. We were considering there until I saw the price. We choose Bowens Mills, and while it isnt cheap, our budget is just around 8000. if you do it right, it is managable. Not sure what else is on water...
  • edited December 2011
    ok you have to look into baypointe on gun lake... it is perfect and on the water and absolutely stunning....trust me on this one... ive had a ton of brides this summer getting married there....you won't regret it.... its so beautiful
  • kernerikkernerik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all the suggestions! We are still working on figuring out the ones we want to see this weekend. Do any of you know anything about Bridgewater Place in downtown?
  • edited December 2011
    We are planning a vow renewal for West Michigan but stationed in Florida so I feel ya on fitting everything in while home. Not sure what part of West MI your looking into but here’s my list … I second Bay Pointe on Gun Lake - beautiful water front space, little tight for what we wanted - looking for large open space And Bowen Mills - water aspect is river only I think, offers horse & wagon rides for you and guests if you like that We found … Twin Gables in Saugatuck - beach side, up to 250, downside for us - must book all 15 rooms of B&B for 2-nights but may work if you have lots of out of town guests The Veranda at Whitcomb in St Joe - amazing views of Lake MI, to much of an indoor type of setting for us Been to events at … Lake Bluff Inn in South Haven - overlooks Lake Mi, nice wedding South Haven Inn - beach and overlooking sites, non-wedding, fun Have fun this weekend and don't forget to take your camera. It all kinda blended together after about 3 venue for me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards