Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Poll: What went wrong and what didn't?

With the wedding rapidly approaching, I have all these scenarios in my mind as to what could go wrong (because I've heard at least one thing always does)...What I'm curious about is:What was the one thing you expected to go wrong that didn't?What did you not expect to go wrong but did?

Re: Poll: What went wrong and what didn't?

• Options
    we were very fortunate that nothing went wrong, nor was i really expecting anything to, although i was a bit nervous that the cake wouldnt get delivered - that was the only item i didnt have control over.  but, it did, and even if it didnt, it wouldnt have been that big a deal.
  • Options
    I fully expected to fall on my face while walking down the aisle. I am no good in heels. Nothing big went wrong. Our ceremony musician couldn't get the recessional song to play, but it didn't matter much.
  • Options
    I can honestly say that if anything went wrong, I don't remember it, nor did I care.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    First, I would suggest not to obsess over this b/c you will just get yourself worked up over something that may not happen.  but its always good to try to prevent things from going wrong ahead of time if you can... and to answer your questions: What was the one thing you expected to go wrong that didn't?  i figured something would go wrong, but didnt know what to expect.  i was most concerned about getting through all the pictures before the wedding without my MIL getting on my nerves.    What did you not expect to go wrong but did?  my bouquet was not was i was expecting.  i had one that i liked at my bridal portraits, and the one for the wedding didnt look anything like that.  also, for the music at the reception we used an Ipod, but it was dead when we first got there, so our entrance got delayed slightly while we were waiting for the stupid thing to charge.  that frustrated me, but in the grand scheme of things it wasnt too bad. 
  • Options
    You ladies are really putting everything in perspective.  I really appreciate it.  I have been to three weddings of close friends this year, and all three brides were absolutely furious about the things that went wrong: 1. DJ lost the playlist. 2. Flowers not at all what were agreed upon in advance. 3. Hair stylist did something completely different than he did in the trial.It's nice to know that when things go wrong, it doesn't have to be that big of a deal!  I'm mostly just trying to avoid something that's avoidable. 
  • Options
    We were at a city run golf course at the end of July.  I never thought about a/c - I just figured the building would turn it on if it was hot.  Well our wedding was before the set date to turn on a/c in city buildings.  It was 85 my wedding day and we were dancing in a HOT room with no a/c - just fans.  That was frustrating, everyone was sweating like crazy - but we still had an awesome time. 
  • Options
    What was the one thing you expected to go wrong that didn't?  I really didn't expect anything to go wrong... I figured that if anything did, it would be small enough that nobody but me would noticeWhat did you not expect to go wrong but did?  The only thing was my cousin who stole a bunch of stuff from us, including 1 toasting glass, a card off of the gift table (the guest put it on the table instead of in the secure card box...), bags of unopened candy from under the candy buffet, majority of the items from the bathroom baskets, and a few other things.
  • Options
    1. DJ lost the playlist. 2. Flowers not at all what were agreed upon in advance. 3. Hair stylist did something completely different than he did in the trial.kimbini.  ask yourself the following, when you find yoruself stressing about either the stuff above or antying else.  were you still able to say your vows?  did you still end up married at day's end?  if the answer to those is both "yes", the the day was a success, not a failure.
  • Options
    Er, I expected to fall on my face walking down the grass aisle in 4-inch stilettos. I didn't because I death-gripped my dad's arm and then the whole time we were saying our vows, I was holding Jay's hand and kind of using him to prop me up :) Nothing really went wrong, per se, but it turned out to be the hottest day of the year (by far) and we were melting so we really sped through the ceremony and photos.
  • Options
    There are things you can prepare for and things you can't. Don't stress about the stuff you can't fix because there's no point.Otherwise, just try to be as prepared as possible. If you have something like a playlist or must take photo list, give it to your vendor a week out, confirm that they will bring it the day of, and then be prepared with a copy the day of. (Give it to a trusted friend or someone in the WP, just in case.)Make lists of how you expect things to go, from the time you get up that day until you leave the reception. Who will play the music at the ceremony? What time do you want pictures done? Have you arranged for transportation? My list is 7 pages long of exactly how I see it, but it's calmed me down a lot because I know if we follow that list, I've done my best to prepare. (And if something goes wrong - then at least I tried!)
  • Options
    I was expecting things to go wrong, but my expectations weren't specific.  I just knew not to expect perfection.Things did go wrong, but I honestly don't remember what.  That's how much you should stress oevr this.  in a year and a half it won't matter, so don't worry about it now.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    The only thing I feared was the weather because I was having an outdoor wedding.  Tropical Storm Hannah came through on my wedding day.  It was beautifull the day before and after, but down right sucky the day of.But it in no way effected our attitude.  DH and I had an amazing day.  Our guests ate well, drank well and the dance floor was packed all night.  Even during our sit-down dinner people were dancing.  It was the best day of our lives.On a side note.   Our 1st anniversary is on Sunday and we are going through a tropical depression right now.  How weird is that?  If it happens next year I'm going to be a little pissed that we have to always celebrate in the rain.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Part of why things were so easy for me was that the altar guild lady at the church was a total nazi (and I mean this in the nicest possible way). When B's grandma didn't show up (they were lost and didn't make it 'til the end of the ceremony) she knew the exact appropriate time to start the ceremony without her. And the DJ, caterer, and venue manager were all on the same page at the reception. They all had the same calendar of events, so I knew if one screwed up, I could trust the other ones to fill in the blanks. Redundancy is good (we learned that in engineering class).
  • Options
    1.  I was paranoid that no one would enjoy the reception (except us), but they did.2. My cake fell over.  It was a full sheet with a triangular stack in one corner that was way taller than I expected.  He didn't put any vertical supports in the stacked part, and the room was a little warm.  The stack slid off, but it was right before we were going to cut it, and the photographer could shoot around the bad side, so it was all fine in the end.  Still delicious.Most of the things that go wrong are not noticed by the guests - just you.  Don't worry about it!
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I honestly didn't expect or fear anything would go wrong. Part of the reason was that I knew we'd hired professionals who did this all the time and we coordinated enough with them that I knew they all knew the expectations. I would have been sad if it had rained (our ceremony was outdoors), but we had a back up plan in place just in case so it wouldn't have made a big difference. The only thing that I know of that went wrong was some feedback in the mic during our ceremony. We just kind of laughed and went on with it. Nothing we could do at that point.
  • Options
    Our getaway taxi didn't show up so we bummed a lift from some guests.
  • Options
    I was 18 weeks pregnant at my wedding, so I thought I'd be an emotional basketcase throughout the ceremony. I wasn't as bad as I thought, but I did cry a little through my vows..What went wrong:* my bouquet was wrong so I didn't get any pictures with it at our house* our officiant fucked up the ceremony and missed one of our readings* the DJ didn't have DH's mother/son song and had to go back to his house for it, so we started dancing like an hour late* DH didn't have enough cash to tip the waitstaff and everything and actually left with the best man in the middle of the reception to go to an ATM. He didn't tell me, and the groomsmen told me he was in the bathroom. I had no idea wtf was going on lol.* I forgot my flip-flops for the reception and my feet hurt so badly by the endWhat was awesome:* our guests were so understanding about the delay of dancing* our photographer was the most amazing person EVER* my bouquet did end up getting fixed so I walked down the isle with the one I wanted* I didn't trip
  • Options
    * AISLEOops.
  • Options
    My dress went wrong. So far wrong that I now have lawyers threatening to sue me. Nothing else has gone wrong so far, touch wood.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards