Snarky Brides

Spray tanning and exfoliants

I got a thing for a free spray tanning so I'm having it done Saturday. It's the kind where the machine sprays you. What do I need to do to prep? What should I know?
They said to exfoliate which I will. However, my face is insanely dry and peely due to a new round of face medications. What do you think....??

Now, for exfoliants- I need one for tanning but I also have been needing one because I get awful ingrown hairs on my thighs (I think because my hair grows in a weird directions) and I hate it. So gross. So, whats best? That wont make me go broke?

Re: Spray tanning and exfoliants

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_spray-tanning-exfoliants?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5af788d6-6962-4ca1-8b85-5d2dd8257e57Post:fd611734-555a-434f-bd86-5d87ca4e7092">Spray tanning and exfoliants</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got a thing for a free spray tanning so I'm having it done Saturday. It's the kind where the machine sprays you. What do I need to do to prep? What should I know? They said to exfoliate which I will. However, my face is insanely dry and peely due to a new round of face medications. What do you think....?? Now, for exfoliants- I need one for tanning but I also have been needing one because I get awful ingrown hairs on my thighs (I think because my hair grows in a weird directions) and I hate it. So gross. So, whats best? That wont make me go broke?
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

I've never spray tanned before, but the dry face thing would be a good question for them, I would think.

And I exoliate daily, with my gloves and anti-bacterial soap in the shower. That's pretty much it.
  • reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Have you thought about just making your own? You can mix salt (or maybe sugar? I can't remember) with olive oil. A google search should find you lots of recipes. I find that that works better for me than any affordable scrubs. 
  • Reils- I was thinking about that but what I've read says to stay away from oils before tanning as it can make the tan not stick.
  • reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Oh, I never thought about that. I am of no help then because the only other scrub that I really like is oil based. I find that the creamy ones don't really do much. 
  • I'm thinking I may just get one of the gloves for the tanning then going forward make my own...
  • I don't really know much about spray tanning, but I could use one!

The body wash I use is also a scrub, so that's what I use. Plus, it smells really good.
  • if your face is extra peely, I find that the best exfoliants are the chemical kind-- as in alpha hydroxy acids. I used to really love Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion. I have very sensitive skin though, so my dermatologist made me stop using it. but if you don't have sensitive skin, try it, it's great!

as for scrubs: once a week I use the plain ol' st ives apricot face scrub. I've been using it since high school, I love it!

for the body, I think it's too annoying to use the scrub everywhere, so  I put on a pair of exfoliating gloves (gloves mad of a rough cloth), lather up with soap, and go to town. before a spray tan, concentrate on your knees, ankles and elbows the most.

finally: after the tan, if there are any areas that are too dark, you can scrub at them again with the gloves and make that spot fade a little.

good luck!
  • sugar + body wash, and exfoliating gloves, the day before the tan, followed by moisturiser. Day of the tan, just shower and don't apply anything inc moisturiser deodorant perfume. Face cream is fine.
  • I spray tan every couple weeks. Don't worry about having dry skin, it shouldn't make a difference. Just glob the barrier cream on your fingers and toes so they don't turn orange. I usually wash my hands right afterwards and then rub self tanning lotion on the top of my hands so they don't look weird.
  • clignanclignan member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    put vaseline on your knuckles and your toes. if you are dealing with dry spots on your face,  try to keep as moisturized as possible until the morning of. if you are still dealing with dry spots on the day you go, cover your face. it will be easier to tan your face with makeup than to scrub it to make it even afterwards.

ETA good luck! im sure youll do great!
  • Thanks guys! I can't do any chemical type thing on my face as its extremely sensitive from the medications. I think, unless I can get it pretty clear, I will have to not tan my face..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards