Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon road trip with short stay in NC... need some input :-)

FI and I started planning our honeymoon last night, finally, after being disappointed that our original honeymoon plan didn't work out due to finances. Our original idea will still happen, as an anniversary trip down the road.

With that said, we decided to take a road trip from PA to NC (Burlington to be exact as that is where my cousin lives and is letting us stay in their place for a few days while they are on vacation). On the road trip we've decided to take small day trips to Washington, DC, Colonial Williamsburg/Jamestown, and also to drive the Blueridge Parkway or Skyline Drive on the way home. While in NC, we will attend 3 minor league baseball games (we are big baseball fans and I also work for our local minor league team so it'll be neat to check out the similarities/differences)- Durham Bulls, Carolina Mudcats, and Burlington Royals. Before the games, we would like to spend the day visiting the cities in which they're located and get a taste and feel for the area.

I'm hoping to get ideas of things to do while in any of the locations I've mentioned. Is there a specific place you'd recommend to go eat, visit, shop? We are very excited about this trip and would like to get the most out of it that we can. If there are locals, we'd like to hear about those little known places that are worth going to. I know where I live, we have those but they don't ever show up on any websites as recommendations.

Thanks in advance! And if you think there's another board I should post this to, please let me know that as well :-) 
Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Honeymoon road trip with short stay in NC... need some input :-)

• Sounds like a fun trip!!  Definately do Colonial Jamestown  - but when you go, make sure you do that one and not the historic site.  Colonial Jamestown has reinactors who stay in charachter, and it's so much fun!  There are also replicas of some of the historic boats.  SO MUCH FUN!!!  If you go into the VA Beach area, check out the Norfolk Zoo.  It's small and cute - and it only costs $7 per person to get in.

If you are going to be in DC - I highly recommend the National Zoo (I've been there twice).  It's so cool!  Just be sure to walk all the way down to the bottom of the zoo in the beginning and work your way back up.  The zoo is on a hill, and it's a steep climb if you don't!  I also loved the American History portion of the Smithsonian.  And the Holocaust Museum (but you need to get ticktes in advance for that - even though they are free).  I love DC!!  It's so nice because you can see all of the attractions for free (well....you already paid for them with your tax dollars!!) so for just the cost of metro tickets and food - you can do it for about $50/day give or take....depending on where you eat.  If you want any other suggestions, please feel free to email me.  joshnmelinda2012@gmail.com
    Anniversary
  • Post this on the general NC local board and I bet the girls over there will be helpful!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • your trip sounds great, I love road trips.  When are you going?   i've found that hotel rates in DC are generally cheaper on the weekends than during the week, so maybe keep that in mind if possible.  many of the attractions in DC are free, which is nice....my personal favorite museum is the portrait gallery, but american history and natural history are also great.  Maybe go over to Georgetown to walk around, do some shopping, gawk at fancy houses, lol.  One thing that's fun is to get a drink at the top of the W hotel....good (but $$) cocktails with a great view of the city and nearby monuments...sometimes you can see the snipers on top of the white house, which is kind of neat.  U Street has fun bars.   Try to get a reservation for brunch at the Tabard Inn--really good!   

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-road-trip-with-short-stay-in-nc-need-some-input?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:5037a34a-c715-4d32-850e-eb7897267058Post:1fb7229b-8556-420b-a1b6-f6d4d69bbfb9">Re: Honeymoon road trip with short stay in NC... need some input :-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]your trip sounds great, I love road trips.  When are you going?   i've found that hotel rates in DC are generally cheaper on the weekends than during the week, so maybe keep that in mind if possible.  many of the attractions in DC are free, which is nice....my personal favorite museum is the portrait gallery, but american history and natural history are also great.  Maybe go over to Georgetown to walk around, do some shopping, gawk at fancy houses, lol.  One thing that's fun is to get a drink at the top of the W hotel....good (but $$) cocktails with a great view of the city and nearby monuments...<strong>sometimes you can see the snipers on top of the white house, which is kind of neat.  </strong>U Street has fun bars.   Try to get a reservation for brunch at the Tabard Inn--really good!   
    Posted by Katred08[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>The last time I was in DC, I saw the snipers from the ground at the gate on the back lawn.  I waved at one of them and they waved back .  TOO FUNNY!!!</div>
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards