Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Cake Alternatives

Neither my fiance or I is particularity enamored with the idea of having a wedding cake and since our reception dinner includes a dessert buffet we don't see the need to have an official wedding cake at all. Does anyone have any suggestions for a neat substitution for the ceremony of cutting the cake?

Re: Cake Alternatives

• I went to a wedding recently and they completly skipped over it. so if you dont want it just dont do it.. skip ahead to the other things like first dance etc.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • Just skip the cake cutting. Nobody will care if it goes missing
  • I agree with pp that you can skip the cake cuting. At every wedding I've been to, most people miss the cake cutting because they are busy dancing or socializing.
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • My cousin had this problem when she got married in April. Her Vienniese table was huge so there was really no need for a cake. But she didnt want to skip the cake cutting. So a local bakery made her a miniature wedding cake, only two small layers, decorated nicely for only $56. And her and her hubby got to take it home and enjoy it.
  • I'm not doing cake either! its fine :)
    Photobucket Visit The Nest!
  • Skip it, no one will notice since you're already having dessert.
  • My fiance and I were talking about having a chocolate fountain too, so I really like that idea. If you really want to substitute instead of skip the cake cutting, though, you could focus on some other food-cutting (i.e. first bite of dinner?) instead. I think previous posters are right, though- if you don't have a cake, people aren't going to fret about having a cake-cutting or its equivalent.
  • FI and I are having litterally hundreds of homemade cookies made for our reception, so we thought that that would be a wonderful dessert, with the variety being made, there is something for everyone... until we told parents of intention of skipping the cake are were instructed that "there is to be a cake."  So we are not doing the ceremony of the cutting together, wasn't important on our list... and having a bakery make a sheet cake to be cut in the kitchen by our venue. Saving hundreds of dollars, and for the 12 people or so that will actually have room after the dinner and the cookies... they'll have a darn cake.....
  • We had a small, round, beautiful cake on our table, which we cut and saved most of for our 1st anniversary.  Cost us about $50, plus we bought a $30 cake topper.  Pics turned out beautifully and we didn't have to worry about rushing to cut the cake so that the waitstaff could cut up the cake for the guests!One thought about the chocolate fountain idea:  as a guest, I hate that I often get little drips of chocolate on my wedding finery.....other than the "messy' factor, I think they're great!Best of luck!!  Whatever you choose, you'll love!
  • I was just at a wedding last night, and they had a dessert before the cake. We were so full from the food and dessert we couldn't even think of cake. If you are already having a dessert bar, I wouldn't worry about it. If it isn't there, people won't even think about it.
  • We had a huuuge dessert buffet too, but we cut a cake. However, on our dessert buffet we had a chocolate fountain, and got a really cute picture of DH and I feeding each other a piece of fruit dipped in chocolate. The fountain was a HUGE hit- you should definitely consider one!!!
  • You could always pick one small cake, pie, cheesecake, etc, and feed it to each other from the dessert buffet instead of having an additional cake made.
    ~CaraMia~ Married to my HS sweetheart since 7/2/10 Celebrating 10 years together 6/3/12! Anniversary
  • One couple I know of who weren't into cake chose a cheese that accompanied the wine. They got a cheese wheel and cut into that in lieu of cutting the cake.
  • We are having cupcakes and skipping the cake cutting. The dessert buffet will be great!
  • We didn't want a cake or favors, so to appease my mom we are having cupcakes in cute little single cupcake boxes with a ribbon and tag that says thank you.  (Kind of a two-in-one deal.)  My aunt is making us a very small layered cake to cut just for the pictures. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Skip it all together. We're having a cake, but skipping the cake cutting ceremony. I don't think anyone cares, and certainly no one will miss it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards