African American Weddings

Average Cost of Makeup?

My friend works for M.A.C. cosmetics and offered to do my makeup!  Since I don't want to lose any friends by them not coming through at the last minute etc., I asked her to send me a contract & estimate.  She says she's giving me a friend discount by charging me $100, and the bridesmaids $85.  Is this normal?  It seems kind of high!

Koretta
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Average Cost of Makeup?

• desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm... well i duno. when i get my makeup done at mac, i just go to the store and you have to buy $50 worth of product and you get your makeup applied for you. That's actually a better deal if you can fit it in your time schedule. Just make an appointment before hand. ($85 each bridemaid, right?)
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know if this helps, but I just had my makeup done at the make counter. It was for my engagement pictures. I was charged $50.00 dollars, and that included me getting some makeup.  In actuality, I got my make-up done for free, but I had to pay for the products. So yes, I think your friend is charging to much.
  • edited December 2011
    It seems a little high. Especially if she is only doing makeup, and no lash extension or anything else. Is she traveling a significant distance to do it ? I would check around. So far that is the average that Ive been seeing. Even when I approached a girl at the mac store. She charges $50, but also wanted a travel fee if she had to come to me.  HTH
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • kkidd28kkidd28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
         She's traveling from D.C. to Philly for the wedding, but she's on my guest list anyway.  And she's a good enough friend that she was almost a bridesmaid - so she'll be there anyway.   Yeah - I go to the M.A.C. store already and know that they will do it for me at the store for $50 in products.  They all know me on a first name basis so they do me for free most of the time anyway cause I'm a good customer.  I won't have time to go there before the wedding though so that's out.  Is anyone else paying for a makeup artist to come to the location?

When I announced I was getting married on Facebook 5 minutes after he proposed, my friends response was "Congrats - I can do your makeup!"  Now I'm thinking she may be charging too much....so I might have to fire my friend!  Ugh.....it's getting ugly!  I also have 7 bridesmaid and a M.O.H. so thats really expensive!
  • edited December 2011
    My makeup artist is coming to the hotel to do my makeup. But she is a friend of my fsil, so she is a little more flexible. But I do think that is definitely a lot to charge, espeically if she was already coming to the wedding. So you cant even give yourself peace of mind and even chalk it as a travel fee. I would check around and get some other quotes, maybe even do a trial with someone else. If you find someone cheaper and you like their style, than call your friend and have a talk with her. Nothing mean, just explain that you want to use your friend but, its a little out of the budget. Especially if you were planning to treat all of your bms. See what she says. She might surprise you, if not than book someone else. Often times its not a good idea to do business with friends or family members.
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • edited December 2011

Are you ai'm only able to go to the counter, see the style you like, buy the make-up and do it yourself? i'm only asking because you said you go to  M.A.C a lot and you can save some money if you know ho to apply make-up. Also, with having to buy make up- is anyone close enough in shade that you would be able to share? I do think she is charging too much. Usually, if someone offers to do something for you it is little to free of charge. If you don't want to offend her you can just let her know that you don't want to inconvenience her as a guest; because she would have to be there a lot earlier that the other guests. Or just let her know that you feel that price is too high. It's amazing to me how people offer the same goods and services- but when "wedding" is attached to it they jack up the price.

• edited December 2011
    I only read Desi's post. But hell, that ain't no "friend discount". I live in Detroit, my co-worker is a make up artist. She does airbrush and is charging me $65 and my BM's $35 and is coming to the hotel.And since she is on the guestlist, she will be there all day for touchups. In my opinion that is just not a friend discount at all!
  • edited December 2011
    It seems high but it really isn't. My friend paid $1000 for her, her mom's and her maid of honor's makeup.
    Lovin Kimmie
  • edited December 2011

It is a rip off

• kkidd28kkidd28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to stop at my local M.A.C. store tomorrow to see what it would cost.  I've actually taken a few of their courses so I could probably do it myself, but I think that day I may just be that out of it and nervous I may need the hand holding  - lol!  Plus - I don't want to get it on my dress!
  • edited December 2011
    I paid $100 for my e-pis but it included airbrush, eyelahes, travel, and she wanted to stay the whole time to "refresh" it,
    I was a little uncomfortable (I'm no diva) and told her she didn't need to stay and attend to me the whole day...
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with Pas I paid my MUA $100 for my epics, he came to me! I think for the wedding it will a tad bit more but not much. Also it depends on location too. HTH

BTW $100 is not a friends discount if she will already be a guest @ the wedding. IMHO.. Now if it was just a regular vendor something different, but hell she needs to factor in her plate @ the reception,lol...
  • edited December 2011
    One more thing, she is DEF overcharging on the BM makeup. I think avg cost for bridal party is between $30-40 pp.
  • edited December 2011
    I need to be where ya'll are at for the make-up prices. Almost everyone is NYC is super expensive
    Lovin Kimmie
  • edited December 2011
    The MAC counter is definitely a better option, but I got a quote from a local make-up artist and it was $75 for her to come to me and apply make-up and $55 for my bridesmaids.
  • edited December 2011

I would say that it definitely depends on where she is located and her skill level. As most of the ladies mentioned here, if you go to the MAC counter and purchase $50 worth of make-up, you can have your make-up done there. And a lot of people at MAC do some magnificent work! However, these are typically "MUA" that work primarily at the counter. Does your friend have a private consulting business? Does she have an extensive portfolio, perhaps? Is she biuilding a business?

Most MUA in the department stores here will do your make-up at the store for the $50 purchase. Private MUA here will range anywhere from $75 to close to $500 for highly trained professionals that work on movie, television, or video sets.

IMHO, $100 for a "friend discount" is no "friend discount." I am fortunate to have a soror who is a professional MUA and her wedding day package is $125+ for the bride and $50 for each BM up to a certain number. She has almost 20 years experience and has Hollywood names under her belt and her own company offering a full line of services. However, the 16 year friend discount is free.

• edited December 2011
    I don't know. I have the same person and her team doing hair and make-up on location for me and the BM's and the total cost including the trial is $345.
  • winter443winter443 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do not think that is a "friend" discount at all, especially not $85 for the bridsmaids.  If she is a close enough friend to almost be a bm I would like that she would charge very little if not do it for free.

If I was a MUA and I had a good friend i probably wouldn't even charge but just expect some type of tip for my time.  And then you didn't even ask about her services, she asked if she could do your makeup for your wedding so you think that she would offer a good discount
    I love my baby, yep yep, he loves this chick! imageimageimageMy Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    there's a team here called Make-up on Demand that will come to you. I've seen her work, she's awesome, but wants to charge $200 for me & my 1 bridesmaid. I think that's a bit much. I have no clue on how to "do" make up, so this may be worth it.. I know another make up artist who does the make up with the airbrush thingy. I just talked to her & she charges $40 per face..finally, I have a mary Kay consultant who offered to do a "show" at my wedding & do everyone's make up if all the girls buy something small....

Not sure what to do...
  • tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it really depends on the region you live in.  I can quote you prices on what the going rate appears to be for a MUA in North Carolina, but that would only depress you, because most things here are less expensive than it is up north.  You may want to consider calling around and going from there. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards