Moms and Maids
Options

Follow up to If you were...[long!]

aka I'm almost to my breaking point with FMIL.  We didn't have the talk I was asking about though so it's a little off that topic.We had a recent interaction with FMIL and while it could have been worse it wasn't that great.  She didn't acknowledge me nor look at me until the very end (and even then it wasn't anything spectacular: "Lemonade?") (I was expecting the cold shoulder- she's been that way to all her kids SO's lately); kept interrupting conversations we were having with other family members (nothing new there either); all the conversations were all about her (again, nothing new).  One of the tasks that we visited for was to pick out the grooms tux to rent.  She didn't want to go because "Well you don't want me in your life.  My opinion doesn't matter either."  FI was very disappointed; he won't admit that he was but everyone saw it on his face.  And I'm pissed for him.  The next interaction...was a joke.  Quiet an act actually.  We had an audience to play nice for (she brought along a friend) and we were one big happy family *puke*.  Suddenly she was excited about the wedding (we've been engaged a year and this is the first time she hasn't been in the dump about it): wedding this-wedding that; she suddenly had something to do with her granddaughter: she'd been ignoring her for the good part of the last year, wouldn't have anything to do with her because FMIL was mad at neices dad; she suddenly said more than one word to me and FBIL's GF.  I just don't see how a time lapse of less than 12 hours changes the way she's been to all of us the last year so that's why I feel it was fake and not sincere.  I know it's not me...it's her.  It just hurts so much that I'm marrying her son and she knows NOTHING about me, nothing!  In all the years I've known her, she has never once asked me a question about myself.  I could just start talking about myself but she interrupts or her eyes glaze over whenever it's not about her, or she'll just walk out of the room.  I get it; it's on her but it's sad that she is this way.  On top of this visit, it is just blaring in my face that she treats her kids like crap.  Harsh I know but it's always what they can do for her, always talking trash to everyone about them, she's making them choose between her and their dad and proving that they love her more and a bunch of other BS like "If you don't do what I want then you don't love me" and then she cries.  She always gets their hopes up only to smash them to bits and pieces.  I don't want her in our home at this point (staying the night); sure she's being mean to me in a nice way but she's still mean to me and I'm not going to be treated like sh!t under my own roof.  After the first visit I was pretty much done with her but after the second visit, I think I pulled the wool over my eyes and I feel bad for not wanting anything to do with her.Any advice or feedback would be appreciated :)

Re: Follow up to If you were...[long!]

• Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    W o w. You have done an incredible amount of thinking and analysis on FMIL... who is not your mother. FMIL is FI's mother, and FI should deal with them. She knows nothing about you.  So what?  Move on to the next issue on your own agenda. She treats her kids like crap.  So what?  They have evidently found a way to process this emotionally, and you can't change her/the way she treats her kids/the way her kids process their emotional reactions for her.You want to limit the time she's in your home.  That's a good idea.  Example:My ILs are only in our home for two days/one night in April, two days/two nights in October, and Christmas Eve at 11:00 p.m. to Christmas Day at 11:00 a.m.  I'm only in their home on DH's birthday weekend in January from 11:00 Saturday to 10:00 a.m. Sunday, and on Tgiving every other year from 11:00 a.m. Thursday to 10:00 a.m. Friday.Now, you can't really limit FI/DH's interaction with his parents, no matter how mean or dysfunctional they are to him.  My DH actually LIKES his parents and RESPECTS them, and he goes to visit them once a month from September through May.  I shrug and say "Whatever" and go spend that time with my own mother.
  • Options
    mob2006mob2006 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like your FMIL could be a narcissist.  I suggest reading "Why is it always about you: the seven deadly sins of narcissism" by Sandy Hotchkiss.  It is very helpful to understand what's behind narcissism and how best to deal with it.My MIL is a narcissist and you can't have a normal relationship with one.  You just have to accept that she is who she is and you won't have the relationship you hoped you would have with your MIL.
  • Options
    TruchanaTruchana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess I have to ask, are you looking to just vent or do you actually want advice?  If it's just to vent, then vent away.  sounds like she's worth venting about. If you want advice, I don't think you will like it.  You simply need to drop it. You can make the decision to let something bother you or you can move on and not worry about it.  She will always be in your life, she's your fmil.  You personally can't change the situation or her, so be the nice person that you are, support your fiance through the mess of the divorce or whatever, don't be rude to her, and just live your life.  you don't need to include her in lots of stuff in your lives.  She's making her bed.  If she makes comments like, oh you don't want me involved in your life, I would call her out and ask, "where did you ever get that or what are you talking about?"   Find someone close you, other than your fiance, that you can vent to her if needed. Again, it sounds like she's the problem, I'm sure your husband knows this, so you make the decision if you want to let it bother you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards