Michigan-Grand Rapids

I need some advice, especially from those in or near Michigan

Ok, so I am a born and raised southern california kind of girl who is having her wedding in Michigan! My fiance is from there, and we decided it would be better to have our wedding there instead of California. He's a United States Marine and we orginally wanted to have an outdoor wedding in June of 2012. The only problem is he has found out he might be deploying to Afghan in March. So now we want to push the date sooner. Only problem, if we do it before March in Michigan, IT'S SNOWING! An outdoor wedding seems out of the question. I'm not sure what to do now, or where to begin to look for a venue. I'm not from there and could only go buy advice from his family or my friends from there. But I am so torn, I wanted an outdoor fishing themed wedding, with tons of yellow and green, just very bright! But now it's going to be winter time... and indoors. Should i change my whole scheme? What are some nive venue for a decent price in Michigan? Grand Rapids area... Help?Undecided

Re: I need some advice, especially from those in or near Michigan

• JordanCapriceJordanCaprice member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, so I am a born and raised southern california kind of girl who is having her wedding in Michigan! My fiance is from there, and we decided it would be better to have our wedding there instead of California. He's a United States Marine and we orginally wanted to have an outdoor wedding in June of 2012. The only problem is he has found out he might be deploying to Afghan in March. So now we want to push the date sooner. Only problem, if we do it before March in Michigan, IT'S SNOWING! An outdoor wedding seems out of the question. I'm not sure what to do now, or where to begin to look for a venue. I'm not from there and could only go buy advice from his family or my friends from there. But I am so torn, I wanted an outdoor fishing themed wedding, with tons of yellow and green, just very bright! But now it's going to be winter time... and indoors. Should i change my whole scheme? What are some nive venue for a decent price in Michigan? Grand Rapids area... Help?Undecided
  • edited December 2011
    I would post this on your local MI board. Look to the left in the blue boxes and click local wedding boards. Find the one in MI that is closest to you. Good luck.
  • b0710b0710 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live near Grand Rapids, and if you are moved your wedding to before he is deployed you would definitely need to change to some sort of indoor location.  If you give us more details of what you are looking for, we could probably be of more help.  :)
  • cmcurriscmcurris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Careful! It still snows in March, and it's COLD outside.

My advice: Pick a City
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think a yellow/green themed wedding would be fine for March. Depending on the size of your guest list, I think you could find a rustic type space and have a fishing theme without a problem. Maybe even make a joke about it at some point and have something ice fishing related :).

• jleigh1902jleigh1902 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Michigan weather is VERY unpredictable. March is hit or miss. It will probably be cold and snowy but you never know. It's February now and tomorrow it's supposed to be 55 degrees. You could get a freak day of 70 depending on when in March you're talking. My friend got married in July a couple years ago (when it's supposed to be 80-90 degrees) and it was like 60 and cloudy. I'm getting married in Lowell at Grand Volute Ballrooms. They have an outdoor ceremony space and if you book that you are guaranteed the indoor space as a backup should you need it. Lowell is about 20 minutes from Grand Rapids. It's a fancy place but it's out in the country so I think a fishing theme would be totally fun! Good luck!
  • edited December 2011

If you are going to be planning it for Jan, Feb, or March, plan on an indoor venue. If your heart is set on blue and green then go for it!
    If you could have it in the summer, how were you planning on incorporating fishing into it? Do you want a more rustic style venue or modern?

• SnippylynnSnippylynn member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    You know, this sounds like a theme that would fit perfectly with that camp that's right on Lake Michigan.  Gah.  Anyone remember the name? 

I think if you make things like a spring green and a butter yellow, it would be really pretty. It *can* snow, but it doesn't generally, and everyone will be thinking spring at that point anyway.  It will make your guests happy!  Do lot's of daisies.  Perfect!
  • jjtruejjtrue member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

True Vine Creations would love the opportunity to do your wedding fresh florals and centerpieces and we are located in the Grand Rapids area! We specialize in the details!www.truevinecreations.com A dear friend of mine moved to California and  she had her wedding here in Grand Rapids. Each table was named after a different city that they had visited and the significance of the city. That gave a connection for all the guests and were folded tent style on each table at the reception. Green button mums, white hydrangea and yellow tulips would be a great idea for your bouquets. Plan on an indoor wedding...it will still be chilly. "YOU TIE THE KNOT AND WE'LL TAKE CARE OF THE LOOSE ENDS!" 
  • barbara1312barbara1312 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Snippylynn, are you thinking of Camp Blodgett?  That one came to mind as I was reading this also.  I have never attended an event there, but have read very good reviews.

Another one that comes to mind is the Holland (or is it Zeeland) Fish and Game club.  I haven't ever been to this one, either. 

Good Luck, OP
  • SnippylynnSnippylynn member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    jjtrue-- Seriously?  Did you not read the part where vendors are not allowed?  Reported.

Yes!  It was totally Camp Blodgett! 
  • edited December 2011

I think Frederik Meijer Gardens hosts wedding ceremonies and receptions~its in Grand Rapids...thats a beautiful setting :)

• karenickes26karenickes26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    March in Michigan is definitely not for outdoor weddings...Frederik Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids is a beautiful location....I used to work there and have seen many weddings there.....and they have indoor areas that have an outdoor feel-the conservatory, victorian tea room, seasonal room, etc that are great for ceremonies, but I don't think you are allowed to do any decorating in those areas...they do have reception areas there that you may decorate however you want. It is a little pricey if you do the ceremony and reception there, you could always do your reception somewhere else....give me some time and I can probably come up with some that would work. with a fishing theme...but you will want to pick a general area in Michigan to get the best feedback :)
  • edited December 2011
    I friend of mine had their reception at a fish and game lodge in Holland, MI It's pretty nice, it looks like a really nice log cabin. And I saw pp mentioned Camp Blodgett. I haven't been there, but I know it's beautiful. It's a small venue though.
  • whyask1stwhyask1st member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can also check out www.pointofgracechapel.com

I'm planning to get married there in July. I tonk it's amazing for the price.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards