Christian Weddings

Christmas Traditions Poll

I've been thinking a lot about our family Christmas traditions this year since I haven't been with my family and thought I would do a poll.

1.  What is one family tradition that you wouldn't want to miss?

2.  What is one family tradition of your FI/DH's family that you'd like to miss?

3.  What is one family tradition of either your family or FI/DH's family that you will probably carry on with your own family?

4.  Is there anything that your family does differently than FI/DH's family that bothers you (i.e. you wish they would do it your way)?

Re: Christmas Traditions Poll

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  What is one family tradition that you wouldn't want to miss?  I wouldn't want to miss Christmas eve service with my family although I had to miss it this year.  My favorite other thing is Christmas brunch with my family which was also missed.Frown
    2.  What is one family tradition of your FI/DH's family that you'd like to miss?  I'd like to miss the gift giving portion of the day.  Too much "stuff" and none of it is labeled so we spent half the time trying to figure out what gift was for which person.  I mean, it's not difficult to write a name on a piece of paper.  Also, I felt like DH's mom was having some sort of competition over who had given the better gifts to DH. 
    3.  What is one family tradition of either your family or FI/DH's family that you will probably carry on with your own family?  Going to Christmas eve service even if it is just the two of us.
    4.  Is there anything that your family does differently than FI/DH's family that bothers you (i.e. you wish they would do it your way)?  In our family we pass out all of the gifts and then we open one by one from youngest to oldest.  It creates order and then we aren't saying, "You open one next" - "no, you open one".... (so annoying).
    In some ways, I can't wait for this day to be over.
  • 1. What is one family tradition that you wouldn't want to miss? I miss my mom's Christmas Eve lasagna.

2. What is one family tradition of your FI/DH's family that you'd like to miss?  MIL's food.

3. What is one family tradition of either your family or FI/DH's family that you will probably carry on with your own family? I wanted to continue my family's tradition of Chinese food for Christmas dinner.  Unfortunately, DH is sick, so I was just glad I could get some pie in him for a few (ok a lot of) calories.  MIL and FIL have gone to a Christmas service together for 34 years.  I'd like to do that, but DH was working last night, and being sick today he couldn't go to church.  MIL is sick, so this was this first time they'd missed.

4. Is there anything that your family does differently than FI/DH's family that bothers you (i.e. you wish they would do it your way)? something that I dislike about both is that events must be recorded.  At least my family doesn't make you re-enact anything!  FIL sure loves his camera though! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 1.  What is one family tradition that you wouldn't want to miss?
    Stockings. I always get silly things from my mom that I roll my eyes at or re-gfit. But I really missed having a stocking this year.
    2.  What is one family tradition of your FI/DH's family that you'd like to miss?
    So far, none. They are SO much more fun than my family.

3.  What is one family tradition of either your family or FI/DH's family that you will probably carry on with your own family?
    My family - attending communion service on Christmas Eve. I've done it every year for as  long as I can remember. This was the first year that our current church has ever had a Christmas Eve service.
    DH's family - hiding in the wrapping paper. After all the gifts have been opened, everyone covers themselves so just their face is showing. Then a picture is taken.

4.  Is there anything that your family does differently than FI/DH's family that bothers you (i.e. you wish they would do it your way)?
    Nope. Like I said with #2, they are so much more fun. They're more family oriented, and they play games, and the whole holiday is just so joyful. I wish MY family would adopt their attitude. Granted, a large part of that is because the in-laws are Christian, and not all of my family is.
  • 1.  What is one family tradition that you wouldn't want to miss?
    My own - Christmas morning with my parents.  I've spent every Christmas morning with them for my 30 years on earth.  H's family - pizza and oyster stew on Christmas eve.  At first I thought it was weird, but this year when MIL wanted to change it we all complained, myself included!

Christmas dinner with his extended family.  I don't mind seeing them, but it's always really warm and I don't particularly like the food.

Hmmm....Well, we'll probably always do Christmas eve with ILs and Christmas day with my parents.  I like the way it works.

Not really.  Since both families are within 6 miles of our house, it works out nicely that H's family always opened their gifts on Christmas eve and my family always did it Christmas morning since H and I have been able to continue that since we started dating.
  • MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. What is one family tradition that you wouldn't want to miss? Christmas
    Eve and Christmas Day dinners at my grandma's house. We've gone every year since I was born and I look forward to it all year. There's 14 of us and it's a lot of fun!

2. What is one family tradition of your FI/DH's family that you'd like to miss? Nothing I can really think of...

3. What is one family tradition of either your family or FI/DH's family that you will probably carry on with your own family? My grandma has gotten me an ornament every year and all 24 are on my tree. When we were little, my brother and I would hang all our ornaments from our grandma on the tree together. I would love to get my children an ornament every year that they can hang on the tree too.

4. Is there anything that your family does differently than FI/DH's family that bothers you (i.e. you wish they would do it your way)? I do NOT  like that FI's family opens presents on Christmas Eve night. We always opened them on Christmas morning and I loved waking up at the crack of dawn when I was little and sneaking down to see all the boxes under the tree for the morning. I want our kids to have that excitement for Christmas morning. Luckily, FI agrees with this.
  • 1.  What is one family tradition that you wouldn't want to miss? my moms breakfast casserole and monkey bread on Christmas morning. We always eat this as we are all opening presents.

2.  What is one family tradition of your FI/DH's family that you'd like to miss? nothing as of now. His family is very family and Christian based and it is a perfect fit for both of us.

3.  What is one family tradition of either your family or FI/DH's family that you will probably carry on with your own family? going to Christmas eve cadelight service. It is such a magical and special service.

4.  Is there anything that your family does differently than FI/DH's family that bothers you (i.e. you wish they would do it your way)? not really
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited January 2012
    've been thinking a lot about our family Christmas traditions this year since I haven't been with my family and thought I would do a poll.

1.  What is one family tradition that you wouldn't want to miss?
    Oh, so many! This year we didn't do it, but I LOVE Mom's Christmas morning home made donuts. 

Well, they don't really have them. lol.  But this year they went out for Chinese food for Christmas, and apparently his aunt said to him "You should cater Chinese food for your wedding, it's so delicious".... I hate Chinese food. Loathe it. (It's his favorite).  I asked him "Did you tell her that I hate it?" and he said, sheepishly, "No?"  Sigh.

We are not having Chinese food for our wedding.
    Innocent

I want to sit down and make a list of mine and run them by him and if he doesn't have an objection, do them all. lol. The reason why is because his family doesn't have any, and I admit I love Christmas traditions. Plus I'd like us to make a few of our own.

Just that his family doesn't have any traditions... well, no, actually, they do have one. They go to church on Christmas.  I wish my family did that. I'm a "go to church every chance I get" kind of girl.  But I didn't go on Christmas because my family isn't, and it wasn't a huge deal to miss one Sunday. So when we get married, we'll go to church on Christmas (or maybe Christmas Eve, we'll see?)  So that's not really his family doing it my way, but more I wish my family would do it his way. 
    I just wish his family had any traditions, at all.

My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • 1.  What is one family tradition that you wouldn't want to miss? Gingerbread Village!

2.  What is one family tradition of your FI/DH's family that you'd like to miss? Constant photo-taking of every gift being recieved and opened! I don't think my family took any photos at all this year during the gift-opening!

3.  What is one family tradition of either your family or FI/DH's family that you will probably carry on with your own family? Gingerbread village!

4.  Is there anything that your family does differently than FI/DH's family that bothers you (i.e. you wish they would do it your way)? The gift opening. My family also does it in a very orderly fashion (of course, there are way  more of us!), taking turns, youngest to oldest. We also have a ton of sweet goodies in the house, and FI's family has more...meat. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards