Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Grroms Cake

Hi Everyone,I am really thinking about getting a groom's cake.  Is anyone else doing this, and if so, what are you doing as your cake?

Re: Grroms Cake

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting one for my FI. . . we are both huge Red Sox fans and our cake lady makes a Fenway Cake, so that's what I picked!! I'm so excited to see his face when he sees his cake.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He doesn't like cake, so I had a cheesecake made for him with a Broncos logo.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wanted to do a 'playstation 3 with a blackberry pearl' cake but it was $1,200 for 25 slices.  It's way out of budget. I decided instead to do a cheesecake with some kind of Superman decor, probably logo with strawberries and blueberries and serve it at the rehearsal dinner only.  I have a lot of time to change my mind though. 
  • Options
    618mom22boys618mom22boys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We love to fish so I got FI a bass grooms cake.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI is a firegighter so I am having a fire truck cake made for him. He's not a big cake person, but everyone else is, so we'll enjoy it!
  • Options
    tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI is a cop so I'm going to surprise him with an action/spy cake at the rehearsal dinner.  He didn't want two cakes at the wedding, but loved that cake.  It won't be exactly like the cake in the pic.
  • Options
    skolagbodiskolagbodi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am undecided as to which I will use right now but either a JUST FOR DUMMIES: MARRYING SYMONE or a chocolate version of the wedding cake with the topper of the man stepping on the wedding gown as she runs away. Here's a good site.. http://cakepicturegallery.com/v/grooms-cakes/?g2_page=1
  • Options
    chelbell326chelbell326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing a groom's cake in the shape/style of a cup of coffee from Starbucks b/c FI is an ADDICT! LOL
    no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a German Chocolate Cake. I asked my groom to taste a few cakes and he said he liked this one best so that is what we are doing for his cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having a red velvet cake (FI's favorite) in the shape of his 1947 Plymouth Coupe. It's a suprise, so I can't wait to see his reaction!
  • Options
    jwnj1221jwnj1221 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am making the cake for my daughter's wedding.  Her main cake will be a family favorite of Red Velvet cake.  Her fiancee was thinking about having the men wear kilts, but changed his mind.  I am making him a groom's cake incorporating the kilt and his family colors.
  • Options
    SCS5909SCS5909 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having two cakes at our reception. My fiance loves playing softball, and we frequently play together, so I found a second cake topper of a groom pitching the ball to a bride. Our cake baker is going to create a "field" on top of a sheet cake and place the characters on in. It is going to take the place of any back up cakes that we might have needed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my groom hates cake so we are having a grooms cheesecake
  • Options
    jenniferjo42jenniferjo42 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is a huge Purdue fan, so I going to do something with that. Either a football field or just a big "P" or "Purdue" spelt out. Not really sure yet on the whole design thing!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i'm making a cake for my groom in the shape of a pawprint for our alma mater, penn state.   he proposed to me at the football game & a friend had made us pawprint cookies that said "just engaged" -- so we're copying that for the grooms cake.  and it will be fun-fetti flavored.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    wildangel2189wildangel2189 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing one in the shape of a clock or watch because the first thing my FI said to me was "what time is it" 
  • Options
    shawna77inilshawna77inil member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is a huge sports fan.  His two favorites are the Green Bay Packers and the St Louis Cardinals.  I am having a half sheet cake with the GB logo and the STL logo with alternating football and baseball strawberries all the way around it.  I also had my garter made with these two teams.  He has seen my garters and absolutely LOVES them, so I can't wait to see his reaction to the cake.  :-)  I also thought the strawberries being dipped to look like footballs and baseballs was too cute and would give some people the option of strawberries instead of a piece of cake if they preferred.
  • Options
    reddy123reddy123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are both addicted to a gelato place down the street from our house and I think we're gonna get a grooms cake there with yummy sorbets, it's a nice dairy-free option for my hippy vegan friends too.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    melmabellemelmabelle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance's two fave things are his college football team and disney world so I'm getting him a cake shaped like a football helmet with the team logo on it and then i'm gonna have them add mickey mouse "ears" on it! and i'm going with chocolate cake and a rasberry filling with vanilla icing. i think it's gonna be a fun surprise that he's really gonna like!
  • Options
    catbarnes09catbarnes09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Groom's cake is a surprise for FI. Though he likes cake, his preferred dessert is a "giant chocolate malt extra thick with a little bit of peanut butter" from the local dairy store. He joked that he wished we could serve chocolate malts at the reception. SOOOO...groom's cake is designed like the malt cup, chocolate cake with peanut butter filling. Seeing a few posts, I am wondering if I should serve at rehearsal dinner instead of reception. Tough call.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're totally having a groom's cake! It's going to be a 3D (which just means it's standing up) gravestone. The cake will be colored to look like dark concrete and have "etched" in it "Jerrad's Freedom" Then his birthdate - wedding date. It's so super cute. I stole the idea off of offbeatbride.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Flower Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Planning Bio 6.15.10
  • Options
    brandinblakebrandinblake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    okay, my FI is completely against the idea of a grooms cake...he says he has never been to a wedding that has had one and he doesnt see the point...even my mom keeps saying over and over that she cant belive we arent having a grooms cake done...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So, being from up north, my Mother and I naturally looked at the catering manager of a venue (that we didn't end up going with, but beside the point) like she had two heads when she asked if we were having a groom's cake.  We had never heard of it and could not see the need for it when she explained it.  Seemed like a total waste of money.  However, fast forward one month.  FH is a total Southern Boy and has seen all of these groom's cakes at weddings to which he has attended.  Now, it has turned into fun. We'll do it and probably do his hobby, an old model car from the 60s or something like that.  The idea that he needs his own cake is still pretty stupid to me as the wedding cake is *our* cake, not my cake.  At this point, I just see it as a way for him to integrate something that he really likes (his model cars) into the wedding.  If that makes him happy, then great.  It's still a waste of money b/c the wedding cake is not my cake, it's our cake.  So now he has two cakes I guess. Whatever. :)
  • Options
    emuliz17emuliz17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI's cake is a Monopoly board. It was our first date so we thought it would be a cute idea. It even has the die, game tokens, and cards. I took him to pick out the flavor too. He's getting a white cake with strawberry and Bavarian cream filling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards