Texas-Houston

RE: Harwin

First of all Verona...I dont mean to offend you, and I certainly hope that what you posted is untrue about the bag i bought from harwin. I dont want to cause drama on this board. But for those of you that asked... There are tons of stores w/ back rooms that carry tons of brands, only a few stores have LV. I got my LV from a store in the main building, I dont know the name. When you enter the building- turn right, and then instead of going straight down the hall,  you turn at the first hallway on your left. The store is small and has mostly luggage in the front. They have a back room and thats where I got my bag. All of their purses are $35.
BFP 3.28.12
missed m/c @ 9w5d, baby measured 8w1d, no h/b
D&C 5.23.12
heartbroken

Re: RE: Harwin

• edited December 2011
    You aren't offending me, personally. How do you think they make those bags for so cheap? using child labor in third world countries...they mass produce them.If you want to carry one and feel good about it, then absolutely do so. I am just trying to enlighten people about thinking twice about the choices they make.Do I love designer bags? YES! absolutely!  will I carry a fake- no. As I mentioned, I have carried one in the past and after reading a lot of stories about how they are made, I just can't (morally) bring myself to do it.  No one should suffer for fashion, especially kids. I believe Harpar's Bazaar did a story on it. For those that want to EDUCATE themselves about this- here is the link: [url]http://www.harpersbazaar.com/magazine/feature-articles/the-fight-against-fakes-0109_[/url]here is an excerpt (warning, graphic)Then I read the following passage from my book, Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster. "'I remember walking into an assembly plant in Thailand a couple of years ago and seeing six or seven little children, all under 10 years old, sitting on the floor assembling counterfeit leather handbags,' an investigator told me... 'The owners had broken the children's legs and tied the lower leg to the thigh so the bones wouldn't mend. [They] did it because the children said they wanted to go outside and play.'"
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
  • shelly0921shelly0921 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think anyone is trying to start any drama, but I am happy Verona did post about it. I have one or two knock offs and the article has opened my eyes.
  • jmo2187jmo2187 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Gap, owner of Banana and Old Navy,  has had issues with this as well. I feel that any company whose products are made outside the US, has had unspeakable working conditions for at one point or another. This can be with or without their knowledge.When I purchase my $20 t-shirt (on sale) from Banana, and I see that it is 100% cotton and made in Vietman, I turn my head. Am I saying this was made in a sweatshop. No, but their is a good chance it might have. Is this right, no? But its like when I eat a delicious stake at Ruth's Chris....do I think about how the poor cow was killed, no. I think of the delicious flavor and the pleasure it brings to me. The big issue, besides the designers not making any money off of it,  with purchasing "knock offs" is that it is "untraceable". If we purchase a legit item we can return it to the company for x or y reason. When you purchase a "knock off" you take it as is. You don't think about going back to the seller and saying "hey, this zipper doesn't look the same as the "real" purse I have at home." Those are just my two cents. Sorry for highjacking your post Taylor.
  • edited December 2011
    the difference with knock offs, IMO is that it is not simply a "nice purse" that is "affordable" it is a blatant ripoff of someone's design. Many fakes these days are almost indistinguishable from the real ones and that is where the problem lies.It is the child labor- and the fact that it is illegal to steal designs.If someone stole my college paper, and submitted it as their own, I'd be pissed. The same way I'm pissed if I'm Karl Lagerfeld and I see someone carrying a "Chanel" bag that is clearly ripped off...but meant to look like my design.anywho...I am not here to flame anyone...just wanted to educate and show the other side.
  • jmo2187jmo2187 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never purchased a fake, but since we've got this conversation going....Do the fakes truly look like the real deal?
  • edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, society these days have made girls buy fakes. They feel they need to fit in with the fashion and not everybody can afford them. I am not saying that is your case Taylor but in general. I can't afford a Coach or Chanel so I buy fake. I love Harwin and me and my girls make semi annual trips go to buy purses. Slam me all you want but it doesn't bother me. I know my purses well enough to know when it's a good fake and I am very happy with my purses.
  • edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, society these days have made girls buy fakes. They feel they need to fit in with the fashion and not everybody can afford them. I am not saying that is your case Taylor but in general. I can't afford a Coach or Chanel so I buy fake. I love Harwin and me and my girls make semi annual trips go to buy purses. Slam me all you want but it doesn't bother me. I know my purses well enough to know when it's a good fake and I am very happy with my purses. No one can make you FEEL like you need a certain handbag- those are your own insecurities, not imposed by others or the fashion industry. Luxury high-end handbags are made for people who can afford high end luxury items.  How can you say, at 20 something years of age that you feel pressured to buy a bag that costs more money than you make in a month (or even 2 or 3 moths for some people).Sometimes people want items that cost a lot by a certain designer because they want to be perceived a certain way- but you have to realize that carrying a fake designer handbag doesn't make you look rich or high class.Bags are oftentimes considered status symbols. Do you really think you can fool someone walking about with you fake LV bag that is known to retail for over 5k when your car, clothes and other aspects of your attire don't reflect that same level or luxury? sure, maybe some people save and save to get the real thing and drive a Honda, but those are women who truly care about fashion and design.
  • edited December 2011
    Luckily for me, I have a nice car and I wear nice clothes to where it matches. It doesn't look odd for me to carry a Chanel or a Coach. If I was insecure enough, I would save up for a real bag. I'm not insecure which is why I have no problem carrying around a fake. The other day I had a girl come up to me saying she loved my Chanel purse. I could have said "Thanks" and walked away but I told her "Thanks, it's fake" with a smile. She was shocked that it was fake. I'm not trying to be something I'm not, I just like a good deal.
  • edited December 2011
    Luckily for me, I have a nice car and I wear nice clothes to where it matches. It doesn't look odd for me to carry a Chanel or a Coach. If I was insecure enough, I would save up for a real bag. I'm not insecure which is why I have no problem carrying around a fake. The other day I had a girl come up to me saying she loved my Chanel purse. I could have said "Thanks" and walked away but I told her "Thanks, it's fake" with a smile. She was shocked that it was fake. I'm not trying to be something I'm not, I just like a good deal.I don't know how you dress, so I can't comment on that. If you knew kids in factories legs were broken so they could make your purse, would that change your mind?Buying a real designer bag is not a sign of insecurity- it is about being able to afford it.I can't afford a designer bag right now (well, technically I could, but I choose not to buy one and focus on other things) so I buy handbags at aldo or other inexpensive stores where there is no brand defined on the bag.I think it is better to just invest in a nice good quality bag if you can't afford real Chanel or LV or another brand. Why not buy something by Coach where the price points are a bit lower?
  • edited December 2011
    you also said this quote:"I can't afford a Coach or Chanel so I buy fake."but clearly, you can afford designer bags you just choose to spend the money on other things.  You said you have nice clothes and a nice car (I am assuming luxury clothes and car, since you said they match the level of a chanel bag that would cost 5-7K just for the bag)Listen, I am not singling you out here, a lot of people buy fake bags and DONT KNOW about the true cost and the suffering children can endure because of them...but when you DO know...that is when it is a bit touchy for me.
  • edited December 2011
    I just buy my bags at Target and I'm happy.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • edited December 2011
    I would rather spend money on my home that is worth something in the end, than a purse that will just get dirty and I wont use it in a few years. But that is just me.
  • edited December 2011
    Me not buying a purse isn't going to stop the child labor from continuing.
  • edited December 2011
    I would rather spend money on my home that is worth something in the end, than a purse that will just get dirty and I wont use it in a few years. But that is just me. so would I...but you are saying you are not pretending to be something you are not...I argue the opposite. I don't carry designer bags because I can't afford them. I also agree I'd rather spend the money in my house and other luxuries like vacations.  But you are choosing to buy something counterfit to make it appear as though your purse is the real deal (like you said you typically buy the "best quality" fakes)...so in essence, you are buying it for the look (because it LOOKS like a Chanel bag)Listen, I get it, you are going to keep buying fakes. That's fine. I am just wanting you to admit the facts. You buy fakes because you want it to appear as a real designer bag. Otherwise, there would be no point.and BTW, a lot of designer bags are made well and will last many years...they are considered an investment (this is coming from someone who doesn't own any, but has done research)
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think I was ever denying the fact that my fakes don't appear like the real deal. And I am not hiding the fact that it is fake either, so I really dont need to admit to anything. I do appreciate the heads up though and you being so passionate for something is great.
  • edited December 2011
    primo- I am a very passionate person (obviously) and this is nothing personally against you, it is just hard pill to swallow when people seem proud of their fake bags. But to each their own, everyone has something they are passionate about, and something they can turn a blind eye to (I do eat meat after all, even after reading about the mistreatment some animals get).
  • shelly0921shelly0921 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Butting in... But I totally disagree with the comment about one person not being able to make an impact on child labor laws. It has to start somewhere!
  • edited December 2011
    shelly- i was going to say that, but it seems pointless to try and educate people who don't want to change their ways. The same way someone could not convince me to stop eating meat, I won't convince anyone here to stop buying bags made by children who are very mistreated.How do you think recycling or action against global warming started? every person's contributions make a difference...that is the point. If YOU stop buying the bags and educate your friends, maybe they will stop too...and then that's 5 people who don't buy anymore which has the potential to turn into 100's.  Basic math.and PS: THE REASON GAP DOESN'T USE CHILD LABOR ANYMORE HAVE HAVE DEPLORABLE CONDITIONS IN THEIR FACTORIES IS BECAUSE PEOPLE TOGETHER HAVE A VOICE, AND PEOPLE WERE OUTRAGED ENOUGH TO COME TOGETHER AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT UNTIL THE RETAILER CHANGED ITS WAYS.So yes, one person, with a domino effect, can make a difference.  After all if YOU didn't think YOU could make a difference, then why did you ride your bike ACROSS THE FINISH LINE for a good cause?  After all, you can't make a difference, right?
  • edited December 2011
    Coach outlet baby!! All of mine are from the store and not meant for the outlet. All my purses are coach but I stock the store for sells and wait for the purse I want to move around the room to the discount side. I have a system! I have one fake coach I bought in New York that I use occasionally. It does not compare to my real ones. It is illegal to buy these purses and if you get caught buying them you can face charges. My step-father has actually seen this happen because he helped bust a place awhile. I do agree it is a status symbol. Though these days having Coach really doesn't mean much because everyone I see has one. Though I'm okay with that because I love their purses and I have a lot of stock in them. LV has an outlet too so you can always check their for good sales in the future Taylor. I don't know if the Houston outlet has one but the San Marcos outlet does. If your ever in that area you should check it out.
  • edited December 2011
    We are all passionate about different things. Just like Verona said she will never stop eating red meat even know she has knowledge of what goes on for her to eat that meat. Same with my purses. And I am very passionate about the research for breast cancer. If me stopping buying purses could find the cure for breast cancer, I would do it. We all have different passions for what we believe in and what we think is important to us. Now if it were a dog or a cat making these purses, then I would have a different view on this topic (I know that's taking it too far because a dog or cat cannot literally make a purse, but I am very passionate about animals and that would tug on my heart strings if an animal like that were in danger.)
  • edited December 2011
    I see what you are saying, but it is a bit disturbing to me that children chained to a floor making purses won't make you stop but a dog would- IF it could theoretically make purses (and I feel the EXACT same way about animals as you do-very passionate)Anyways...I guess we all have to agree to disagree on this. I can only provide the information to make a choice, i can't force someone to make it.
  • bgoingsbgoings member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Katie san marv has a lv outlet? I knew they had gucci but i didn't know they had LV... I love my coaches from the coach outlet as well. There is a lot of stuff that goes on about child labor... didn't nike get busted for it in China several years ago. I do think that once the consumer knows about it they are more compassionate for the most part. I don't buy fake that is just me. It is illegal though to buy fake bags. I don't know what happens but I have been to the flea market before when the cops busted people. And when I was coming back from Europe customs checked bags and this girl had one and they took it away bc it is illegal to bring them back.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm...so does it make a difference that it is illegal to you? What if you could get arrested for it? is it worth the risk?How about the fact that it is a stolen design? Like if you invented something or wrote something and then someone took your life's work (a book, let's say), plagiarized most of it, and then sold it for 1/10th of the cost...is that ok?
  • edited December 2011
    Bobbie the LV outlet is like a couple stores down from coach to the left. It's on the end. Its always been there but has moved a couple times.
  • TaylorCristenTaylorCristen member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really didnt intend on THIS to happen and Im not going to share my opinion on either side b/c its not worth the drama. I was just sharing where I got my purse b/c there are ppl that had asked- thats all.Sorry to cause problems.
    BFP 3.28.12
    missed m/c @ 9w5d, baby measured 8w1d, no h/b
    D&C 5.23.12
    heartbroken
  • janie2002janie2002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im just going to say I wouldn' wear a fake. If you can not afford or don't want to pay for it then you are not the intended market for that item. Jmo- No knock offs do not look good. ALot of time the stiching is sloppy, the leather texture is too hard, the yellow tread is a bright yellow, the leather trim wont turn into the caramel color, the interior is wrong or the positioning of the LV are off, or there is stiching over the LV which dos not happen to real ones.  To put it easy Edgar can tell a fake. =-)
  • bgoingsbgoings member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Really Katie? Wow. I can't believe I have never seen it... Is is by Jimmyz or closer to coach? I have never seen it before. Taylor it isn't your fault. Don't feel bad. I didn't know that purses were made by children but I did know it was illegal. I think Verona was just passing on info.
  • janie2002janie2002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard of LV outlet thats interesting! What I do know is LV NEVER goes on sale. I have a bucket from 2005 that I bought for x amount and now it sells for that plus around 20% more. So really the upside is that you know if you buy a classic bag it will not be on sale at the end of he season.
  • edited December 2011
    Are all handbags at Aldo made without any child labor? My thing is, how many bags regardless of brand (not just designer) are created in strugging countries? Being conscious of purchases because of the way it's produced is awesome, but look at all of the other products you purchase if that's the case.
    DX PCOS 11/10 - Failed Adoption 9/11 - LEEP 12/11 - Starting Clomid 4/1/12

Photobucket

I did it. I started a blog.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome

• edited December 2011
    So, Verona, I suppose all of those cute little items you purchase at Forever 21 are only made by the Indonesian and Vienamese children that are paid full wages with benefits? According to Wiki "Most of the retailer's apparel is private label and made in the United States in Southern California, with the exception of their "Fabulous Finds", which are very cheap items imported from Vietnam", however when you look at items on their website, almost every single one of them says "Imported" in the item description.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards