Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

toss garter and keep garter?

This may be a silly question, but what is the point of having 2 garters (toss and keepsake)?  I know we are going to do a garter toss so i'll need one, but what is the point of having the other?  Do you where both at the same time?  If you have a keepsake garter, what do you do with it after the wedding?  It seems its somethng else to go with the 50 million other keepsake things you will have.  I see brides that pay $50 for a nice garter, maybe i'm missing the point....lol, thanks!! 

Re: toss garter and keep garter?

• Options
    LOL I'm with you girl! You wear them both and only toss the smaller less decorated one. You keep the other one as a keepsake. No other point to it. If your fiance has a fetish for such things it can be something cute to wear on the wedding night. There's really no point though.
  • Options
    You can go put it in a scrapbook or something?I only had one, and I think it was like $7 at Michael's.  I never understood spending a lot of money on that.
  • Options
    I made my garter this past weekend and was originally planning on doing two at first. But after getting the first one finished and getting really frustrated with the sewing machine I decided to just have one. Plus after really thinking about it I couldn't really see the point in having one to keep when its probably just going to go in a box anyway.
    Two souls and one thought, two hearts and one pulse imageAnniversary
  • Options
    You're right - it is just something else to go with the 50 million other keepsake things you'll have. If you don't want it as a keepsake, just get one and toss that one. Totally up to you. I spent less than $15 on a keepsake/toss garter set. $50 is crazy! My sister only wore her keepsake garter and just pulled the other one out when it was time to toss. I'll probably do the same though I have heard of girls wearing both.
  • Options
    You wear both garters. The second one is a keepsake for your groom. It's optional, though, since you probably have more keepsakes than you need or want.
  • Options
    I bought two garters. One with a military theme, since my Fi is in the Army, which I am going to wear and have him shocked when he goes to get it off! haha. And the other one is going to get thrown. I only spent $3 on the cheap little one to throw, and $22 on the one that I ordered with a military theme. I guess it's just a matter of "Do you want to keep your garter as a wedding keepsake?".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards