Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

MAID of honor MATRON of honor

I do not know what the differnce between these two titles are, so I need a little help... I want to have my BFF as my MOH, but I have two sisters in law, and I only want one to be my matron of honor, but I also feel like I can't pick one over the other because that just isn't right.  So could I have my BFF be my MOH and then my two sisters in law by my Matrons of honor, or however that goes?

Re: MAID of honor MATRON of honor

• Matrons are married women Maids are unmarried 3 MOHS ( maid and matron are equal in status) is excessive and makes it not an honor and makes bm obviously the lower tier of friend
  • 3 MOHs is overkill; it loses its meaning when you give so many people the title.  Why not make none of them MOHs and just have all BMs?  That way you don't have to choose between them.
  • ditto pps.  Maid=never been married friend.  Matron=married friend.  Making EVERYONE an honor attendant sort of ruins the point of it, doesn't it?  Why not just call them all bridesmaids?  If I were at a wedding where everyone was an "honor attendant", I'd be smirking.  I know it's snarky, but I would.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • You definitely could, but I personally wouldn't have more than a maid and matron of honor. If you can't decide between the in-laws, just have them stand after your friend as bridesmaids. And for what it's worth, I think I would be more hurt if I found out I was only asked to be an honor attendant because the bride wanted my sister than if I were just asked to be a bridesmaid. The best advice I can give you is to think about your attendants a little longer. Get a little deeper into your planning and you'll have a better idea of who you really want standing next to you. Relationships change. I don't want to kick anyone out (and wouldn't do so even if I wanted to), but I do wish that I had given it more thought before asking the girls to be in my party.
  • I'm having one of each. my middle sister got married first so she's the matron of honor. my youngest sister isn't married yet, so she's my maid of honor. my future sister-in-law will be in the wedding, but she's a regular bridesmaid.you can have multiples of both or either. the middle sister had both of her sisters as maids of honor. when the youngest gets married, she'll probably have both of us older girls as matrons of honor.however you want to do it, it's your wedding and whatever is appropriate for your situation is appropriate.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • reading the thread more though... I wouldn't make EVERYONE an honor attendant, because then it's no longer an honor. I do have to agree with that.

Glenna Harding Photography
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards