Wedding Etiquette Forum

Groomsmen Without Jackets?

My fiance has been super flexible and amazing with the wedding, but he REALLY wants his groomsmen to just wear dress pants, button-up shirt and ties. Is this even done? He just wants to stand out from the guys, which makes sense. I'm just not sure I've ever been to a wedding where the guys didn't wear jackets! What do you all think?

Re: Groomsmen Without Jackets?

• If it's not a super formal wedding, it's fine.Seriously. It's not like it's against the rules or something.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Personally, I think guys look stupid with dress shirts and ties but no jacket.  It reminds me of junior high boys going to homecoming.  Me thinks if you're going to do the tie, do the jacket.  Or lose them both and just wear a nice dress shirt. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • It depends on the formality of the rest of the wedding. But maybe they could wear jackets without ties, and he could wear a tie to stand out? It's a little more dressy than just shirts and ties, which makes me think of going to work, not to a wedding. FI and I are currently having a similar "discussion" and I think that there are lots of ways for the groom to stand out, without having everyone else dress down. But again, it depends on what kind of wedding you're having.
  • Ditto PP.  I was coming back to suggest sportcoats but no ties if he's looking for something a bit more laid back.  It will be more casual then a full on suit, but will look much more stylish than the alternative of the shirt/tie combo. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • I agree with East. I think you can go casual with jackets and a tie, but just a shirt and tie makes it look like the guys are going to work. It's okay to do just shirt and tie, but I don't think it looks great.
  • So he wants to wear a jacket and have his GM next to him with no jackets?  I just think it would look a little weird.Here's a similar post that might give you more ideas/responses:[url]<a href="http://talk.theknot.com/BOARDS/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=59923743" rel='nofollow'>http://talk.theknot.com/BOARDS/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=59923743</a>[/url]
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also agree with East. That's how my conversation with my husband went when we were trying to decide what the boys should wear. Me: What if we just do shirts and ties? Scott: Well, aren't the girls wearing pretty dresses? Me: yes. Scott: Those boys are going to look dumb next to girls in pretty dresses and they're just standing up there looking like highschoolers in shirts and ties ready for game day. Do you want them to wear braces and acne, too? Me: Geez, good point. But a simple no would have sufficed.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Hahaha.  Fischy - Scott is wise! :)
  • Groomsmen in my sister's wedding wore vests.  It was a little more casual without them looking like they were off to work or the homecoming dance. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards