Catholic Weddings
Options

XP: Invitation to Unborn Baby

How do you address an invitation to a baby (and her parents) who's expected to be born between sending the invitations and the wedding?

Also, is there a way besides word-of-mouth, website, and others' invitations to tell people infants are invited? It's entirely possible I'll be sending an invitation to a mother who is due with her first child right around the time I'm sending invitations, and I won't even know about the pregnancy. [Lots of far-off family to invite.] I hope if it's the second or later baby, the family can assume if the older sibling is invited, the newborn is, too.

Original post:
http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invitation-unborn-baby

I posted this on I&P and honestly (like usual on that board) didn't like the answers. I feel pro-lifers will address the issue differently. That unborn baby is a baby. Anyone can die between sending the invitations and the wedding. We still send invitations. Thoughts? Surely someone must have actually dealt with the issue.

Re: XP: Invitation to Unborn Baby

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did exactly what they suggested - I addressed the invitation to mom and dad, and then sent an email to the to-be parents that baby would also be welcome.

It didn't really have anything to do with being pro-life or not. It was just that I didn't know the name or even the sex of the unborn child, so I couldn't figure out any good way to address them. For me, I only had 2 guests in this situation anyway so it was NBD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    while i appreciate the sentiment that you want to acknolwedge this baby, the fact of the matter is, the baby isnt here yet.  certainly you can send a note later or make a call telling them the infant is welcome.  in all honesty, tho, the mom might not even come if she is giving birth that soon.  i personally would nto bring a weeks old infant to  a wedding.
  • Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had one couple like that. They knew the baby was a girl, so I addressed the invitation to "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and daughter." The baby was due a month and a half before the wedding. I think its right to include the baby on the invitation.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • Options
    HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it is appropriate to include the baby on the invitation.  I also come from a family of superstitions about showers prior to the birth of the baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had two people who I knew would be having a baby after my invitations were sent.  I put it on the inner envelope as Mr. & Mrs. John Doe, other small childrens names, and baby.
  • Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Or instead of inviting Mr and Mrs John Doe, you could address it "The Doe Family" or "Mr and Mrs John Doe Family".
  • Options
    katetwkatetw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would keep in mind a fair number of people are REALLY superstitious about addressing things / buying things / whatever for unborn babies.... so maybe watch out for that.
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_xp-invitation-unborn-baby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:e712e54a-3a57-4385-9eef-7c95460c3cd7Post:ba1d58fe-16da-4cac-99e8-c9c5a67cac7a">Re: XP: Invitation to Unborn Baby</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or instead of inviting Mr and Mrs John Doe, you could address it "The Doe Family" or "Mr and Mrs John Doe Family".
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

We did this!  Although we broke many formality/etiquette rules (limited space on address labels) and shortened it to "The Doe Family" on the invitation.  I looked at it as though technically they're a family whether just the couple or with children.
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sent the invitation to my aunt and uncle, and had my dad tell his brother in person that the baby was allowed to come if she happened to deliver (Her EDD was like 2 days before the wedding).

She didn't end up delivering by then, but still.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My cousin is due in april and wedding is in june. She has already announced the baby's name on facebook. it is unlikey she or her family wil be able to come, but i'm sending an invite because they're family. should i include the baby's name since she's given it out? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards