Louisiana-Baton Rouge

Help a non-native BR Bride

Hello, everyone! My FI and I have been engaged for about a month, and we're finally ready to start booking appointments and figuring out where and when to get married.The only problem is that I am not native to the area. I've only lived in Baton Rouge for two years, and I don't have any experience with vendors here.We are trying to keep our wedding budget around $5,000 total. I am sure it can be done, but might be a challenge. FMIL is suggesting plantations for the ceremony & reception, but I don't know where to begin looking for one that will fit our budget.Does anyone here have any ideas? Thanks so much for any help you can give me! I really need some direction.
Anniversary

Re: Help a non-native BR Bride

• melissalyn05melissalyn05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure of any plantations that will fit that budget. How many guests are you inviting? I am getting married at a White Oak Plantation which is a mock plantation and it is costing $8000 for the smallest package, so you can only imagine what real plantations are going for. (some are over $10,000 just to rent for the evening). Maybe try The Carriage House or The Gatehouse. Those are very pretty places that accomodate smaller goups (150 and less) and are a little less expensive than others and im pretty sure they are all inclusive (dj, cake, etc..) The Carriage House is in Gonzales (not far from BR) and has the antebellum house look. HTH!
  • ceruiz9ceruiz9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is also Elegant Affairs in Gonzales...about 10 minutes from BR.
  • edited December 2011
    We're planning on about 100 guests, so it won't be a very big party. We are considering White Oak, but I hear they have a minimum amount that you have to spend. We sent an email to them today.I'll look into the other suggestions, thank you very much!
    Anniversary
  • melissalyn05melissalyn05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, White Oak has a $5500 minimum including food and liquor but BEFORE tax and gratuity, I have the minimum package but the $5500 with tax and gratuity comes to right at $8000.
  • edited December 2011
    I second Elegant Affairs, that is where we are having our reception only.  But they do ceremonies as well.  You would have to call to get their pricing, but for 100 it might run you about $30/pp.  It seems this would be well within your because it would probably run you about $4000 total for ceremony, reception and estimated taxes and gratuity.  And everything is all inclusive, that price includes food, the wedding cake, the groom's cake, the decorated facility, a DJ, among other things.  This may prove beneficial for you all since you are planning from afar.  And for attire, we used Jeannine's bridal and I got my dress, jewelry, veil and headpiece all for a REALLY good price and my FI and Dad are getting free tuxes from Al's Formal Wear.  Staying within your budget is quite do-able.  HTH.
    Bio (updated 4/3/10 with invitations) AAW Board Brides
    500 invitedimage 301 acceptedimage 101 declinedimage

RSVP date: April 23rd Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in a similar situation. We both live in Lake Charles, La but my fiance is from there which is why we chose Baton Rouge. So I'm also having a challenging time with vendors. These forums have definitely helped! We are going with Magnolia Mound Plantation off of Nicholson Dr. They have an outdoor barnstyle pavillion that we are using for the reception (I wanted outdoors). And they have several options for ceremonies if you need those. It rents for $950 just for the pavillion with chairs and tables. A ceremony site would be $300 additional. Good Luck! 
  • eponvilleeponville member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard good things about the gatehouse if you are looking at a smaller reception vendue etc. http://www.stage1gatehouse.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone! I have emailed the Gatehouse (and received a very speedy reply!), and I will look at Elegant Affairs as well.I am most pleased to announce that we have our FIRST CONSULTATION! I called the Carriage House today and we're going to see it next Saturday.I love the all-inclusive places. It seems so much easier, especially since I don't know much about vendors in the area.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    all inclusives are nice but you are sort of obligated to use what they suggest instead of bringing in your own decor choices etc. i would suggest perhaps looking in st. francisville (i seem to say this a lot it seems lol) there is also the benachi house in new orleans which is a darling house and it seems fairly reasonable.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello everyone! I am new to the boards and I figured I would put in my info about my wedding next year. We are getting married at Oak Lodge in Baton Rouge next October. It is really beautiful and the coordinators are extremely sweet! We are sending out about 100 invitations, but Oak Lodge holds more than that even though it may seem small. They have different rooms to choose from and the food is really good. They offer taste testing and you can see the room decorated for a wedding if you go on a wedding day. The pricing is moderate. They are cheaper than most plantations. Happy Planning everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards