Wisconsin

Hors d' Oeuvre reception?

Hi again! I was hoping to get some of your thoughts on an hors d' oeuvre style reception instead of a dinner. My FI and I are having our reception at Cuvee. It's small (100ppl) and we want it to be intimate and elegant, so the food would be upscale. We are just trying to save some $$ on the wedding as we are also looking for a house. We understand that we would have to make the wedding later in the evening and also alert our guests that there will be no meal. Opinions? Is this tacky?TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hors d' Oeuvre reception?

• BackpackersBackpackers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's tacky at all. As you said you wanted, I think hors d'oeuvre only receptions can be very elegant. Out of curiosity, why should you have the wedding later in the evening?
  • edited December 2011
    We did a heavy hor d'oeuvre reception over dinner time. Everyone had plenty to eat and the raved about it. They said it was more relaxed and they loved being able to mingle and eat more of what they liked versus the traditional plated meal.
  • molisarmolisar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's tacky, although make sure you price out the difference between hors' doevres and a regular dinner -- you might be surprised that the price difference isn't incredibly different.  Having food stations is also fun -- you could have different types of foods at different tables which is fun for your guests.
    My Furbaby Baxter Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I thihnk it sounds very nice. Cuvee is gorgeous and I think the venue lends itself to that kind of reception. A friend at work just attended anm hors d'oeuvre reception at a home and said it was not only lovely, but nice to have flexiblity in the evening. As long as people know not to expect a full meal it will be classy and fun. Go for it!
  • edited December 2011
    We had a upscale hors d' oeuvre wedding and loved it!  The food was way better than any that we had had when attending a traditional wedding.  There was plenty of food and people went back for 3rds!  We also had them serve brie with fruit, cookies and rustic pizzas at about 10pm.  We choose this route because the venue we loved couldn't seat everyone in the same room, it was a french style cottage with goureous spaces.  We expected that people would mingle more with hors d' oeuvres, which they did because we had little areas around the cottage of interest.  The only thing I would change about my night, I would have a "sweetheart" table just for my husband and I.  We didn't really see each other during the dinner because we were mingling with everyone!  Also, we found that the meals was more per person than any other option once all of the set up fees where added, be care of that, but so well worth it!  I hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies! You advice really does help. :) I greatly appreciate it!    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I LOVE that idea.  Go for it.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards