Getting in Shape

Cardio machine foot fatigue

Hi!

Does anyone have any solutions for combating the pins and needles that come with the vibration of the cardio machines? I have an elliptical, and while not unbearable, foot fatigue does bother me towards the end of the session.

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cardio machine foot fatigue

• Ugh I hate this! I have a couple of suggestions. One, buy your sneakers a half a size bigger than you normally would. Your feet swell when you exercise so if your shoe is tighter tends to make your foot fall asleep. I'm a 8.5 but I always buy my work out sneakers in a size 9. It definitely helps. The only other thing is to really keep your laces loose. Your foot isn't really moving so you dont need your shoe that tight.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I bought a pair of vibram fivefinger shoes and this helped me with this problem...my feet will still start to fall asleep if I do 35+ minutes on the elliptical, but it used to happen after 20 minutes for me, and now when I start to feel it I'm able to move my feet enough that it never gets as bad as it used to.

Everyone is different, but that is how I mostly solved it.
  • I'm so excited to hear that i'm not the only one this happens to! i never brought it up because I thought it was too weird! I'll have to try getting larger sneakers.
  • Hmm... thanks for the tips.

My current sneakers are a little large, and loose. That gets me to about 20 minutes, so that's an imporvement. I did have a pair of barefoot runners (not the five finger ones, but the Merrils that look like MAry Janes). I loved them for outdoors, but lost them in my last move. I wanted to get another pair, but would have never thought about using them for cardio - now that's my excuse to get a new pair! lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Foot Fatigue is common in higher-support shoes. definitely consider going more minimalist for your machine work outs.. You jsut don't need that much support when you're not lifting your feet constintly! 
  • OH! I also wanted to add that if it's in your arches, I would suggest you start doing more arch/ankle strengthening exercises. 
    (yes! It's important and there is such a thing! haha.. it's really important for me because I'm a backpacker and the arch/ankle are the first things to give out if you don't strengthen them)

If you go to a gym, hop on that bosu ball and do soem one legged balances. that's one of the best, fastest moves for that area. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards