Pre-wedding Parties

What was a hit at your shower??

So now I'm going to be helping plan my SIL's shower.  I was wondering what you loved (or hated) about your shower?  What was a hit among your guests? TIA!!!!

Re: What was a hit at your shower??

• chleoauddschleoaudds member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll answer my own post...what I loved was (almost everything, but here's details)1. favors that have a function, like the little heart shaped measuring spoon favors- I use them all the time! (and so do a few other people I know)2. it was a sit down catered dinner and the food was delicious!!!3.  MIL used the same baker for the bridal shower cake that I used for the wedding- delish!4. MIL videotaped the shower- just nice to see those who have since passed on at my shower celebrating a big event in my life.5.  It was a surprise!!!  I was honestly thinking I was going to a banquet with my father!  I love surprises!6. DH's cute 5yr old cousin/FG handed me the gifts.I hated...1. The fact that once I was finished opening the gifts, a majority of the guests got up and booked it out of there!!!  I don't even think I got out of my seat yet!!!2. My MOH didn't bring her 2 daughters that were in the bridal party as Jr. BMs. 3. That stupid ribbon hat that brides are forced to endure being put on their heads.... do people still do this??? lolThe centerpieces were pretty, we gave some away before people left the shower, but then there were leftovers/extras that are now just packed away.  Wondering if there's a centerpiece that would not end up in the bride's or BM's closet afterwards?
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll tell you what DD loved about hers, and it just goes to show that everyone's taste is different, because it was almost completely opposite from OPs:#1)  It wasn't a surprise.  My DD hates surprises (she gets that from me, I think).  She wanted to know when it was so she'd be dressed appropriately.  She didn't know specific details though.#2)  It was low-key. We had it in our backyard with a tent.  She didn't want bigger restaurant/seated dinner/centerpieces, etc.#3)  It was small:  total guests numbered, I think 18 or 19 people.#4)  Although she wanted NO games, her FSIL insisted, and to reign her in, we said one game of bridal bingo.#5)  It was in the early afternoon, and the food was desserts.  Each BM plus MOB and MOG brought a favorite dessert.  We had a variety of wines, plus strawberry lemonade and water for those who don't drink wine.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I loved that my closest friends and family attended. I loved that at my request no games!!!!! I loved that there was a lot of mingle less focus on gifts I loves the wine my sister picked out I loved the fact that they did the family tradition of showers have ice cream cake That my bridesman shower up even though a girly event I hated the trying to make it a surprise the fact that my neice ate too much cake and spit up on my mil that sil kept trying to make the things more girly The stupid hearts everywhere ( which was a sil effect)
  • edited December 2011
    I loved the cosmos, and I loved that even my grandmother drank them. I loved hanging out with just the women in my family, no kids. We never get to do that. I loved that after the gifts and girly stuff, the guys came over and the whole thing morphed into a family party. I loved that there wasn't a sit down meal. It was mingle and drink and eat apps. I hated that my weird uncle's weird wife mixed too many drinks with her pain killers and fell down the stairs.
  • edited December 2011
    I loved that it was Disney Princess Themed - they even made a Pumpkin Carriage out of one of those fall lighted pumpkins you can put in the yard AND it will serve as the card basket at the wedding.I loved that the only game was the "How Well Do You Know the Groom" and since I had told them I had been studying they worked hard to stump me.I loved that there was a lot of good food.I loved opening presents - especially the Lingerie.I loved that they gave my guests door prizes - every five minutes they would call "time" and whoever's present I was opening would get a prize.-------------------------------------------------I hated that it went too fast.I hated that I didn't get to talk to everyone for a long time.I hated that I didn't get to eat more Buffalo Chicken Dip.
  • cynasmincynasmin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kids did the ribbons on the plate thing. around here alot of people us it at the practice bouquet for rehersal. my mom's friend is a flower arranger and she makes wreaths and bows and such too so she took all of them and put it into an awesome ribbon bouquet! i really love it and will keep it forever as a keepsake. [IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g214/cynasmin/IMG_0889.jpg[/IMG] pictures really doesn't to it justice. i hope that one day i'll have a kid and they'll play w/ it!
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I loved that mine was very informal. We did an Open House and it was the best. People could come and go as they pleased there weren't any games and it didn't take up someone's whole afternoon! I also don't really like being the center of attention so i just opened my gifts and thanked the people...not all eyes were on me. :) It was perfect!
  • edited December 2011
    Spending time with women who had known me pretty much since I was 3!  It was awesome just to sit with them and talk!
  • edited December 2011
    I had a couples shower at a local farm. I loved it because my fiance got to participate and because it recognized the fact that there are many important men in our lives also. It was basically like a dinner party. There were drinks and appetizers then a buffet dinner. Then we opened presents and then had dessert. People were mingling and drinking during presents. It was so cool to see our friends and wedding party meet our extended families and close family friends. There were probably about 40-45 people there. It was such an amazing time.I didn't like not having a chance to spend as much time with everyone, but I did talk to everyone there at least briefly. I also wish someone had been "designated" to take photos. I brought my camera but was way to busy to use it.
  • NikkiesixNikkiesix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved that my family and friends are awesome and made me feel so special! I love that I had a shower! I was sad that it went so fast and that I could not tell you for anything who got me what until I sat down to write the thank you cards: Thanks to my BM KV for getting everything written down! I hated that my FMIL was not there, but loved that all FI's siblings showed up in her place, even the guys! I loved that one of my best friends got on a plane from Colorado just for me! Oh, and I love that the mock bouquet of all the ribbon and wrapping has now turned into a shield, its that big and I will proudly carry that at my rehersal dinner!
  • Ab42187Ab42187 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved:*The fact I knew about my shower. I hate surprises so I knew the day, time and location.*The food. My bridesmaids and family did a really good job of getting some of my favorite snacky foods there.*That all my immediate family was able to be there along with some family friends I don't normally see.I hated:*Some of the games. One that I really didn't like was where they wrote down things I said and those would be things I said on my wedding night. Bridal bingo was fun and so was them quizzing me about the groom.*That none of my friends from college even bother to show up.*That my mother left early to go on bike ride with her friends. Early as in everyone was still there and she was one of the hosts. I didn't even finish opening gifts before she left.*The set-up of the tables, chairs, etc. I know it's not important to most people but I'm a perfectionist so I just felt it could have been done better so it was more comfortable for people.My guests seem to love the food and games along with the prizes. The prizes were useful things like candles or pictures frames which my guests loved.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • cazzysmithcazzysmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Loved that it was a surprise.  Ffun surprise!Loved the brunch idea although the food wasn't wonderful.  Buffet style was handy though.Loved that ppl I hadn't seen in a long while made it, loved that it was planned around my oot aunt's presence in town.Loved that the organizers distributed gifts to guests at intervals.Loved the venue - very near my house, decor of function room was closed to wedding colors/theme.Also sort of hated that it was a surprise - because although I was thrilled by the surprise, I was planning on an hour-long lunch and made plans to book it to an awesome museum exhibit on its last day - I ended up missing the exhibit (partly my fault, I know, for waiting till the last day!).Hate the shirt I wore - if I'd known, I totally would have worn a nicer top! (usually dress somewhat casually when we eat at the restaurant the shower was at).
  • mizu22mizu22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Favors are a great idea and well liked. I also thing bridal bingo is expected now and people like doing it so they have something else to do besides just watch the bride open gifts. I also played a fun game at a shower for one of my friend's. It was like The Price is Right but with her favorite foods....they had her favorite foods there, people priced them and the person who got closest to the actual cost won. It really helped as an ice breaker as well because people got talking about the products. Those are my suggestions for you :) Good luck!!
  • dojo1dojo1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My aboslute favourite part of ANY shower (or any occasion where I get to watch someone open a gift) is ot guess what the gift is. Shower Gift BINGO is SO fun (for me, for the above reason).  You give people a card that could be 3x3 or 5x5 (depending on how many people are coming and how many people you anticipate will bring a gift (and don't forget that many people give gifts that involve a bunch of smaller things).   You let the guests write down what they think the bride got (ie: Spatula, Hand Towel, Pillowcase) for each square and then you play until someone gets BINGO.   Guessing gifts just gets my heart racing - I know it is petty and silly but I just love to get one or two right!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Things I loved:*It was NOT a surprise*It was casual, at a friends house*My fiance attended with a few of his groomsmen and their wives, who I got to know better and had fun hanging out with*The favors - fans - it was nearly 90 that day*Jumping in the pool when it was all over!There wasn't a single thing I hated, but there were things I loved that I THOUGHT I would hate:*The games - I thought this would be so cheesy but everyone had a really good time playing them.* The Photographer - my sister hired a friend to take pics, and I thought she was taking this whole thing way too seriously and it would only make me nervous.  Well I was wrong - I absolutely LOVE the pictures.  They came out absolutely gorgeous, they're almost all candid, and now I have a bunch of really nice pictures of people who can't make it to the wedding cuz it's in another state. And the photographer was so good, I never really noticed she was there.*Being the center of attention - I usually hate it but I had a total blast! My bridesmaids ROCK
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I loved: The games. There were two that were really a hit, and not so eye-rolly. One was, as everyone arrived, the hostess passed out colorful bracelets to each person. After everyone was there, she explained that the game was, if you hear anyone say the words "wedding" or "bride", then you get to take their bracelet. The person with the most bracelets at the end wins! The funniest thing was that my fiance's family also speaks another language, so the hostess got one of them to translate the words into their language so everyone could listen for them no matter what language they heard them in. It was so funny as the party went on - people would laugh and laugh when someone got caught. The other game that was fun was an introductions game - each person had to introduce themselves, tell how they knew me or the groom, and then the most unusual thing about themselves. We had one girl who'd helped wrestle an alligator, one who did irish dancing, and all sorts of other funny stuff. Then I (the bride) got to choose the craziest for the prize. I also loved: --the prizes they got for the games. Nothing cheesy. Nice candles, a pretty candy dish, a gift card, etc. --the favors were little candles that matched the invites. They were pretty!--that there was no alcohol. I think that mimosas would have been ok, but I was glad no one was drinking like crazy.--that people dressed up a little. I don't know, it made me feel kinda special. --my fiance held a simultaneous cookout for the guys whose wives/GFs etc were at the shower. They had a great time, then when we came back to the house, there were still some people hanging out and even more yummy food sitting around!I really didn't like: --the cake. It was absolutely beautiful but tasted totally blah. I had been saving room for it all day :(--that we didn't have someone take a photo of all the attendees together. I totally wish I had a picture like that.--that my FMIL invited people I had never met before then, so when I opened their cards/presents, I tried to get someone to subtly point out who it was from but no one got the hint and I ended up looking at the wrong people when I said thank you! embarrassing.
  • edited December 2011
    This is one of my favorite posts! I love reading about how much you girls loved your showers. It makes me excited for when I have mine. I went to my cousins shower and we played the game where she answered questions about her fiance. It was my favorite because it was fun when she learned something new about him. I went to a baby shower last year where we played a version of the bracelet game except they used clothespins and instead of not saying a particular word, you couldn't cross you legs or you'd lose your pin. It's crazy just how hard it is not to cross you legs. I did not win, I barely made it 10 minutes, but it was funny.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards