Washington-Seattle

Dress sizing question - what does a corset back add?

Okay. So I found my dream dress but in order for it to come in under budget, I have to buy it 2/3 sizes down from my current size. I am losing weight (I've lost almost 8 lbs in the last 3 weeks) and have 7 months until my wedding. The dress is normally $1700 and my budget is $800 max. I found it on ebay and it's a size 12. Right now I am a dress size 18ish because of my chest. So what I am wondering is... should I buy it with the plan to let it out on the sides as much as possible and put in a corset back? Right now it's a zipper back. How many sizes can a corset back add?
debi & jason 05.01.2010

My Visions Planning Bio

Photobucket

Re: Dress sizing question - what does a corset back add?

• edited December 2011
    Have you tried on the dress?  I mean the designer and style?
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Too many variables - run away. Depending on the designer, the dress size may actually be 2-3 sizes DOWN from a street size. A size 12 wedding dress can be as small as a size 6 street size. And unless you've tried on the style, it might arrive and be completely unflattering, uncomfortable, and shopping for another dress. So while you think you're saving money, in all actuallity, you may end up in a pinch spending more money than you first budgeted for a last minute dress. You don't need that stress. Also - while you may be able to lose the weight before then, there's no guarantee that you'll lose it in your chest. I lost 130 pounds and went down exactly 1 cup size. That's it. Find another dress, that's my "been there done that" advice. Sorry if it comes across too direct.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, I left out that the dress is only $300 on ebay. LauraLynne- I hear you. I am losing baby/breastfeeding weight and I went up 1 cup & 2 band sizes so I am worried about that. But WOW! Congrats on losing so much weight! How'd you do it?
    debi & jason 05.01.2010

My Visions Planning Bio

Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    TyGirl- Not this particular designer/dress but a nearly identical style with a different designer.
    debi & jason 05.01.2010

My Visions Planning Bio

Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    dbraulik - ditto Tygirl. You may have tried on something extremely similar, so you know you like the style and that's good. However, every designer is different in sizing and fit so you need to go hunt down and try on the exact dress. You never know if that designer wierdly sizes 2 sizes smaller than other desingers or something.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're an 18 in street clothes or in bridal? Also, there's no way to know where you'll lose the weight and without knowing your frame it seems risky. For instance, I'm a size 6ish now, but I have big hips that sort of stick out. Even when I lose weight, I'm never less than a 4 because those bones ain't shrinking, even if there's minimal fat around them. =) Ditto for some people's rib cages...if their rib cage is a bit bigger in frame, there's only so small their waist can go.That was a very long way of saying I wouldn't risk it unless you've tried on the exact dress and know you're only a little bit off from fitting into the sample size.And if it's on ebay...are you sure it's a real dress and not a replica?If you try it on and still love it, look for a used one on preownedweddingdresses.com and other similar sites. GL!
  • seblaggseblagg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't do it. Remember, bridal sizes run small. I had to order a dress that was two sizes up from my street size. If you're a size 18 street size, count on needing a 20 or even a 22 in a bridal dress size, so if the dress is a 12 wedding size, that is way too small. I just wouldn't risk it.

• carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  Wedding dress sizes are actually 2 sizes smaller than real sizes (unless your already in the W - women's sizes, but a 12 probably isn't).  So a wedding dress that's a 12 probably fits a girl who normally wears an 8 or 10.2.  Even if the corset back gets the top to fit, you still need to fit it over your bum and your hips.  I couldn't go more than 2 sizes smaller when trying on samples b/c I couldn't get them over my junk.  :)3.  If you're still considering this, at least take your measurements and compare them to the size chart for that size of that dress, and see where you fall.4.  Get a dress that fits now.  The stress of trying to lose weight to fit into your dress is not something you need.  You *can* find a dress out there for around $800.  Keep looking.
  • edited December 2011
    May I ask what dress you are looking at? Maybe we can help you find something thats in you price range.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • edited December 2011
    yea i wouldn't do it. i am a street 8-10 and my dress was a 12 and it fit me like a glove. nothing needed to be taken in. different brands have different sizing but I only tried on 1 dress that was a 10 that fit and not 1 size 8 fit. like i couldn't even get them over my hips and not even close to zipping up
  • jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no....i'm a street size 4/6 and bought a 12 corset back wedding dress that needed NO alterations....even if it were ONLY two sizes too small, think about how big of a gap that would be in the back......is that attractive to you? personally, i don't think so, but it's up to you, if you think it is....but i still wouldn't do it since the size is SO different.
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • koosh ballkoosh ball member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a little opposite. I am more a 18 and wear a size 16 wedding dress. Since I am bottom heavy and it was aline... I got away with a 16 since it went out at the hips. I wouldn't recommend doing this without the recommendation of a bridal store though. :P
  • edited December 2011
    I'd love some help finding my dress- or any dress similar. The problem is I want a silver dress and they don't really exist any more. I guess they were popular in the 2008/2009 season. But not now.  The one I love is a Pronovias Brasil. Maggie also makes one I really like. I've searched preownedweddingdress and bravo bride and one other used dress site that I can't think of the name right now. I've searched Craigslist. It's been months of searching with nothing/no results. My problem is I am top heavy. I have zero hips/butt. So getting it up over them would not be a problem. I wear a 18 on top right now (just coming off breastfeeding my baby) and a 14 in jeans. Pre-baby I wore a 14 on top and a 10/12 in jeans. And I have been smaller when I work at it. :)I don't want an 8 inch gap in the corset but I just can't find what I want because it doesn't really exist. Anyone have any suggestions? Can you dye a wedding dress?
    debi & jason 05.01.2010

My Visions Planning Bio

Photobucket

5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even if you get down to a 10 or 12, you'll probably be a 14 or 16 in bridal.Have you considered having a dress made for you? You could find a dress you love, then have it made in the color you'd like.Or, if you're not looking for a ballgown-type style, you could look for a bridesmaid's dress or mother of the bride's dress and order it in silver. (And this would probably be really inexpensive, too!) You'd have the luxury of looking at really great designer dresses, because they'd still only be $350-400.
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are a bunch of Maggies that come in silver (not sure if you saw them all and only liked the one you mentioned).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards