Honeymoon Discussions

Outer Banks or Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard?

What would you do?

Right now we're planning a June or July honeymoon after our June 2 wedding...date depends on whether or not I get any med school acceptances that start in July. Since things are so up in the air, we've decided to honeymoon in the U.S. instead of the Caribbean or Mediterranean cruise we were planning. So now I'm back at the beginning! 

Which location would you recommend? Why? We are both active people and enjoy hiking, horseback riding etc, but also want some relaxation. We love seafood and good food in general, as well as history. When we normally vacation, we pick a place and a couple key things we want to do, but we don't make any concrete plans (other than hotel/car and anything that requires lots of notice) until we get there. 

Thanks!

Oh! And we'll be flying out from Phoenix, looking to be gone about a week.

ETA: more details
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Outer Banks or Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard?

• Well it's high season in both places, so I don't think one would necessarily be cheaper than the other. I think the OBX is awesome, but it's also where I'm from. :) There are a TON of outdoor activities to be had around here. Awesome restaurants, and it's super relaxing. 

You would either need to fly into Norfolk, VA (ORF), which is 2 hours from the OBX or Raleigh, NC (RDU) which is about 3.5 hrs. Raleigh is larger with more flights, but Norfolk is easier/faster to get to and navigate inside.
  • That's the beginning of high season for the Cape and Islands as well.

That being said, you can most likely find a nice place on the Cape as long as you don't wait till May to book. Martha's Vineyard (and Nantucket if you wished) probably book a little faster.
    They all have great places to visit, but the water will still be cold, so something to consider.

I grew up spending summers on the Cape, feel free to ask any questions!
  • I'm from the cape.  It's not a place where there's hiking and horseback riding per say.  It's more of a sit on your a$$ on the beach and hope it's not windy that day kind of place.  It's very touristy.  You'll play mini golf and eat seafood.  You'd have to fly into Logan airport in Boston and then drive to the cape or take a bus.  I'd recommend renting a car so you have a car to drive while you're down there.  It's an hour and a half at least depending on where you stay on the cape.  I would recommend staying at a hotel/motel/renting a place that's right on the beach.  Otherwise you'll have to pay $20 a day to go to the beach.  If you do come to the cape, stay a couple nights in Boston.  there's tons to do and lots of history.  Then drive to the cape, stay a couple nights.  Then take the ferry over to the Vineyard or Nantucket and stay a couple days. The summer is super expensive on the cape.  Expect to pay at least $250/night in a hotel, especially on one of the islands.  
  • I LOVE the Outer Banks. We have vacationed there at least 6-7 times. My family is going back in May and sadly, I am staying home to take care of the dogs so my parents can go. Anyway, the Outer Banks has a ton of relaxation, shopping and beaches that aren't crowded. farther north, they do have horse back riding on the beach. They also have a ton on mini-golf and 18 hole golf courses. I highly recommend it there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Avon, NC in OBX is very nice. Small and quieter than Kitty Hawk area. Check out VRBO.com for places to rent, or outerbeaches.com. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Proposal Site: 12/29/10 United States Capitol Building Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you'll probably get more a little more bang for your buck in OBX vs. Cape Cod in the summer.  That said, I love the Cape, and I find it to be a bit more charming than OBX, as long as you stick to the towns further out and stay away from the more touristy areas (West Yarmouth, Hyannis, etc)....Wellfleet, Truro, Provincetown are all really lovely and I think they'd make for a great honeymoon.  The water will probably still be pretty cold, so keep that in mind, but on a bayside beach it might be ok?  The Cape has great seafood restaurants, both little clam shacks and places that are a little more upscale.  You can base yourself in one place and then do daytrips to different areas since nothing is too far apart, and I definitely recommend a day trip out to Martha's Vineyard, or even spending a few nights there (will be pricey).   
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_outer-banks-or-cape-codmarthas-vineyard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:0076b560-a0e8-4b97-8feb-7a48bc322d77Post:a466c1aa-cb32-44e8-a218-8a04836cb5d2">Re: Outer Banks or Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE the Outer Banks. We have vacationed there at least 6-7 times. My family is going back in May and sadly, I am staying home to take care of the dogs so my parents can go. Anyway, the Outer Banks has a ton of relaxation, shopping and beaches that aren't crowded. <strong>farther north, they do have horse back riding on the beach.</strong> They also have a ton on mini-golf and 18 hole golf courses. I highly recommend it there.
    Posted by BrittneyRN[/QUOTE]

<div>The northern beaches have the wild horses, but horse riding on the beach is prohibited due to the herds. The beach riding is actually down south on Hatteras Island, in Buxton. :)</div>
  • I'm going to Cape Cod for my honeymoon also. We're staying at the Inn on the Square only because it will be late April and before the prime summer season, so the rate is literally cut in half. We're going to explore the cape, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and Boston. It's the perfect laid back vacation for us.  
  • We're going to OBX in August.  Couldn't get away from work right after the wedding.  We rented a house and I am SO excited!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards