North Carolina-Outer Banks

Beach House Recommendations

My fiance and I would love to have our reception at a beach house in the Outer Banks. Has anyone worked with a realty company that you would recommend? I am also curious how you all handled lodging. Did your parents/families stay in the house with you or at a hotel? We were hoping to get two houses near each other if possible, one for the guys and one for the girls, then holding the reception at one of the houses. Does anyone have experience with this type of situation? Thanks, Brooke

Re: Beach House Recommendations

• edited December 2011
    Hi Brooke,We are renting "The Love Boat" on Hatteras Island for our reception (see bio for more info).  We wer working with Hatteras Realty and they have been great.  They have several "event" homes that they offer plus a lot of others.  As for lodging there are 7 bedrooms in our house and that will be us, plus our bridal party and friends.  We also rented a house for overflow friends and my parents rented a house for them and some other family and they are all within sight distance from our rental.  FI's parents rented a house way far away, through another realty company, but we left that up to them.  If you have any other questions, let me know.Cristina
  • brookemarbrookemar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Cristina! I think we're going to make an appointment and go down there soon to see some of the beach homes. We're trying to keep ourselves from spending too much money - our budget is 12K, but I have a feeling we might end up going over. Did you find that between the house rentals and the event fees it was pretty expensive?
  • edited December 2011
    Our budget is 10K and as of right now, for a 50-70 person wedding we are right on target.  So depending on when and what you go with you should be fine with a 12K budget.  Definately make an appt to go and check out houses, but you can get a good sense of the houses online as well and narrow them down before you go down, which is what we did. We made a list of the things we needed (ie: other rentals available in close proximinity, rental price, check in/out date, available amenities) and narrowed down our list before we checked things out which saved us a lot of time.  I would also check out which particular area you want, Corolla, Duck, Nags Head, Hatteras, and that will really help you.
  • edited December 2011
    OH to answer you rental price question...our house is $2995 (it's considered "off season" and the security is 1000 (refundable) and then there is a non-refundable event fee.  A lot of people get out of paying this by not saying they are having an event or just say they are having a BBQ, but it was still within our budget so we didn't bother.
  • brookemarbrookemar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That makes me feel SO MUCH better! I have been stressing about money and the cost of renting, but if you can do it for 10K, then we can definitely do it within our budget. Thanks so much for your helpful advice!
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We used Hatteras Realty also and the event coordinator there has been great! But they are down on Hatteras Island so it would depend on what area you were looking into. As Cristina said they have several 'event homes' and I went into about 12 of them and checking them out first and they had no problem with us doing that! We rented an 8 bedroom home for our wedding and reception. Family wise we have my mom and my brother, and FI brother most likely staying with us. The rest will be friends. Both brothers are in the bridal party and all the friends we have staying with us are also the bridal party and their significant others. FI family has rented a house in the same neighborhood and my dad will be renting a house somewhere close by also. Everyone else I will be sending some information about rental houses and hotels/motels in the area so they can have a little info about lodging and they can choose from that. Laura
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Everyone, We just got back from looking at places in the Corolla/Duck area.  Up on that end of the island we dealt with Twiddy (who has been great) as well as Village Realty (very friendly, not too many choices), and Brindley (great but can be hard to get a hold of).  We found some great places and have pretty much narrowed it down for us but it depends on what you are looking for.  We really wanted ocean front so we found most of our choices in Pine Island. We are planning to keep the bridal party with us and have family rent close by.  In that area it's hard to get same neighborhood beacuse PI does not really have a mix of priced homes, so we're going to recomend an area close by and prob shuttle from there and the local hotel so guests have an option and we don't have to worry about parking, which can get to be an issue.  What are you imagining for your day?Keri
  • dawnchitdawnchit member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Brooke!We got married at the Love Boat in Frisco like Cristina. We also had our bridal party stay with us at the house. We paid for half and split up the other half with the rest of the 6 bedrooms which ended up being 250 per room for the whole week for the members of our bridal party. Most of the bridal party couldn't come the whole week, but even if they can only come for 3 nights, it's still cheaper than a hotel room. The remainder ended up being right around $2000 after all fees and taxes were paid which is not bad considering it was our rehearsal dinner, ceremony, reception site, AND place to stay. There are always a ton of other rental homes around wherever you decide to rent which I thought would have been great for other family and friends, but I could never get everyone together on it so I ended up reserving a block of rooms at the Breakwater Inn for about $100 a night. We live in Frisco too so were familiar with the area and most of the houses. The Love Boat was the best one suited for our needs. We were sold on the private soundfront beach which is where we got married and it has a fairly large yard (for around here anyway) which is where we held the reception.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Keri,Just curious, which houses did you look at? We are going down next weekend to look at some houses in the Pine Island, and Corova area with Twiddy.  We are also going to look at the Whalehead Club, and possibly the Currituck Club in case the houses don't work out.   We are starting to hear from family members who we thought would go in on the house with us are have scheduling conflicts, kids starting school earlier than anticipated, etc...  I guess it's better to find out before we book a house than after.  I am hoping to have reached some type of decision after looking at places next weekend.  We are planning to get married next August.  When are you getting married? 
  • cavs2001cavs2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I would recommend Twitty, Kitty Hawk (which seems to be a little cheaper) or Brindley Beach. I looked at houses with all three of these companies and all were great to work with. We are actually getting married at the Whalehead Club, but still renting an oceanfront house for a rehersal dinner. My close family (ie: parents, grandma, bros etc..) and I are staying in one house, and he and his family area renting a house close by. Also bridal party are renting a small house close by too. Then after our wedding on Thursday we will stay in a suite somewhere close by for one night, then stay with family and friends afterwards.  One reason for doing it this way is money. We are paying for most of our wedding ourselves, but my parents are paying for our house, and his are paying for theirs. If not done this way then we would have to pay for our own house. Audra:)
  • edited December 2011
    Hello stressmess, we looked in May and a couple weeks ago in Sept, so I feel like I've seen most, LOL.  We are getting married Sept 12 or 19, 2010.  Still finalizing everything.  We looked at The Dream, Blue Lady, Blue Rhapsody, Chateau Exquisite, Starry Starry Night, Rendezvous, Station One, Sea Monster, Seabatical, Carolina Blessing, and Beachy Keen.  I think we have settled on Rendezvous.  It had a great mix of interior and exterior space and ocean front was very important to us although some of these were oceanside with great/easy access.  If you have questions about any of them let me know if I can help.  Best of luck in your upcoming search.Keri
  • marmetjsmarmetjs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cristina - I checked out your bio and found it so helpful!  We are getting married at The Love Boat September 18, 2010 (and staying there for the week with our wedding party).  I was wondering if you could send me any details of your wedding to my email at marmetjs@gmail.com.  We appreciate any suggestions/advice you can provide us, as I'm a bit clueless of where to begin!!  Thanks,Jenna :)
  • edited December 2011
    HiWe have 4 semi-oceanfront eight bedroom beach houses in a row on S. Virginia Dare Trail (Beach Road) in Nags Head.  They each sleep 16.  Many wedding parties and families stay in them.  It is great to be so close to everyone. We don't do the receptions in them, however.   Our website is http://outerbanksweddingbeachhouses.weebly.com. Hope this helps!  Feel free to contact me.  You can do it through the website.Pat
  • edited December 2011
    Keri! We have the same wedding date and we're thinking about rendevous too! Another realty company you can try is Resort Realty. We're thinking about renting the Grand Bahamian- it's GORGEOUS!
  • poytreepoytree member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We've rented through Twiddy up in the Corolla 4x4 area - it's a 13 bedroom beachfront home. We're having an intimate wedding with fewer guests (28 people), so everyone is staying in the house with us beforehand, and then after the wedding my FI and I are going to stay there for our honeymoon. Twiddy has been wonderful to work with. I highly recommend them. Cheers, Erin
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Everyone,

If anyone on here has rented a special events home with Twiddy, and it sounds like some of you have, can you tell me when the "Special Events" fee is due?  Is that usually included when they send the lease, or how does it work?  Thanks.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards