Jewish Weddings

veil

We are have a reform ceremony - do I have to wear a veil? Could I do a birdcage veil instead of the traditional style with a blusher? My fiancé's family is a mix or conservative and reform - and I just converted and most of my family is Christian. My family doesn't care - but I don't want to be too non traditional and upset someone. thanks!!

Re: veil

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You'll need to ask your rabbi about this.  Traditionally, there is a badeken, when the groom covers the bride's face with the veil, before the ceremony.  That wouldn't exactly work with a birdcage.  ;-)  However, Reform rabbis differ widely on how many of the traditional customs are necessary.
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ditto previous person - ask your rabbi. traditional jewish brides usually wear a traditional veil with blusher, but some reform rabbis will be pretty lenient about it. you could also wear a traditional veil for the ceremony but wear a birdcage veil for pictures / after ceremony.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto to 2nd Bride and Rachie Moo
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to check with the rabbi, but I'd be shocked if a reform rabbi insisted on a blusher. I don't think I've ever seen a bride at a reform wedding wear a blusher over her face. In fact, I can think of a handful of times where the bride insisted to her mother that there was no way in hell she was wearing the blusher -- and the rabbi was never mentioned one way or the other. So sure, can't hurt to check with him/her, but I'd be very surprised if they have an opinion one way or the other.
  • Danaz1Danaz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you have to for a reform wedding. I have scene people wear them but didn't put them over their faces.  Its really up to.  It is just tradition nothing is mandatory even in more traditional weddings
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    it is probably better to be on the safe side and wear a full veil. there are many modern ones that are so pretty. you can take it off after the ceremony. some more traditional rabbis will prefer this for the bedeken.
  • edited December 2011
    we are having a mostly reform/somewhat interfaith service with an ordained conservative rabbi. we are actually not doing a bedaeken at all. so i echo PP about checking with the rabbi. i think there is some discretion there.
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards