Gay Weddings

We finally told our venue our occasion is a wedding.

We are having a luncheon in the private dining room of a restaurant immediately following our wedding.  (Our main reception will be three days later back in our home town.) Following the advice of other budget brides, we did not tell the restaurant when we reserved the private dining room that our occasion was a wedding, instead referring to it as just a "family gathering." Today, I called up to finalize the menu, and came clean about the fact it was a wedding. The only effect seems to have been to have them push a bit harder on suggesting a champagne toast. However, the prices did not otherwise go up. Now, just wish me luck when I give them the names to put at the top of their menu--at which point, they will realize it is a same-sex wedding.

Re: We finally told our venue our occasion is a wedding.

• edited December 2011
    I hate that we even have to think about that!  We got comfortable really quickly telling vendors this is a same sex wedding and asking them if they are comfortable working with a lesbian couple.  We've had only good experiences, though.  (So far, anyway!)
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We told all our other vendors we were a same-sex couple.  The issue with the restaurant is that many venues have "special" (i.e., much higher) pricing if they know it is a wedding.  We therefore just referred to it as a "family gathering" until we got the prices nailed down.  At that point, she asked me what the occasion was, and I said, "We're getting married."  I wasn't actually trying to hold back on it being a same-sex wedding; it just didn't come up.I'm not really anticipating any problems with our being a same-sex couple.  We certainly haven't had any with any of our other vendors.  It's just slightly stressful that it is now two weeks until the wedding, so if they do have a negative reaction, we have less time to deal with it.
  • mattmikemattmike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a smart idea! I hate that restaurant's automatically increase their prices when they know it is a wedding. Were they upset when you announced to them it would be a wedding? 
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a follow-up:  We sent the restaurant the information for the top of the menu, so they now know it is a same-sex wedding.  There has been no comment about it, although they responded to other parts of the e-mail (those dealing with our wine choices).  All is good!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards