New Jersey

Wedding for under 15K can it be done

Hi my name is Rosa im new to the knot i have answered a few post here and there. I'm planing to get married on 2011. My Fi is 25 am 22 we are college students and full time worker who live in an apt together. No one is really helping us on this and going around to diffrent venues we see how much it is, WOW. Or guest list was 225(fi family is HUGE) we are cutting it down to 100, 150 max but with that being sad i feel like there is no economical places to have something nice and Elegant i went to see the venetian i wanted to cry :(, This tides was okay a lil under in the maitnace department. I'm going to see some place call the grande charlet(has anyone heard of it). Any one have any suggestion on how not to spend the down payment to my home in 6 hours.

Re: Wedding for under 15K can it be done

• melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't bother with the Grand Chalet and the owner is the nastiest little man.If you're willing to do a day wedding, you'll probably have a better shot. The venue/catering is usually about 50-60% of your budget, so you're looking at a max of $60pp AFTER tax and tip for 150 people.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it is very easy to spend under 15k.  Off peak days and times can save you lots of money and I don't think you have to risk quality in order to do so.  As long as you budget correctly you can easily pull of a very nice wedding for 15k.

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~
    imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
    5/9/09: Plans, Pics, F/S 11/10/10: BFP Chart Baby Ds Stuff & Coupons!! WTH has Obama done so far!?
  • edited December 2011
    have a day wedding on a sunday, during the off peak season. also, a brunch may be more budget friendly vs a traditional sitdown/cocktail reception. you can also save a ton on having a dj, diy cp's and invitations. i def think it can be done. gl.
  • Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look at Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren, NJ.  Gina the wedding sales woman there is amazing.  The prices are great and the food is good too.  Max in the room is 180. Tell her that Dana sent you!!
  • edited December 2011
    Friday and Sundays are cheaper. Day weddings are also cheaper.  You can also minimize the amount of food and not have an open bar.  All these things will reduce the cost.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, would you consider a longer engagement? I know you will say you are waiting until 2011, but we are almost at 2010, why not wait a touch longer and save more.  And as others have said, either day weddings, off-peak months or Fri/Sun options should help.  Good luck Rosa!
  • edited December 2011
    Also think about what you want to spend the most on and go from there. To me my dress, photog, and location were priority. So i cut down on flowers, favors, invitations, and all the little extras that can add up.

5/9/09: Plans, Pics, F/S 11/10/10: BFP Chart Baby Ds Stuff & Coupons!! WTH has Obama done so far!?
  • edited December 2011
    and another thing..lol...waiting may not always be a good thing. If you think you could pull a wedding together in 9 months you may be able to get a good deal on a date that the venue thinks they may end up losing anyway.

• edited December 2011
    Agree with pp that it can definitely be done if you're willing to compromise and be flexible. But if you really wanted to have that 225 person wedding at the Venetian I think whoever suggested waiting another year or so to save more money had a good point.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You'll probably get the best deals in December-March. Even moreso for a Friday or a Sunday - and if you could swing a weekday, that's a HUGE money-saver. Look into a brunch or lunch reception instead of dinner, too. Maybe find a restaurant that can accommodate your guest list instead of a reception hall. The reception is probably going to eat up at least 50% of your budget, and you'll want to book a good photographer ... but other than that, you can cut back on most things (invites, flowers, dress) and scrap other things altogether (favors, limos) in order to save some money. It's all about your priorities - pick a couple things to splurge on and then cut back on the rest. Also remember that the guests will most notice the food, booze and entertainment, and the photos will last forever ... but beyond that, nobody will notice what you don't have. Think outside the box, too. You don't have to have a giant fancy party in a big white gown if you don't want that. You could do something in a VFW hall in a knockout cocktail dress if you want. All you "have" to have is the marriage license and an officiant, plus something to feed your guests afterward and chairs for them to sit in ... beyond that, it's entirely up to the two of you!We were quoted under $100pp for March and April weddings from Bridgewater Manor, The Empire Club and Costa Del Sol. We wound up booking The Tides.
  • edited December 2011
    What about that place Chelsea posted about earlier? $49pp on a Friday or Sunday for any date left through August 31, 2010 at the Holiday Inn in Tinton Falls. BUT you have to book on 10/15/09 ONLY.
  • edited December 2011
    Good thinking Spunky...how quick I forgot! Just got this email from the knot:Don't Miss the One-Day Wedding SaleOctober 15, 2009 The Sterling Ballroom at the brand new Holiday Inn of Tinton Falls, NJ is offering their popular Economy Wedding Packages at an unprecedented price for one day only, October 15th. Get ready to pounce! Book ANY Friday or Sunday wedding date through August 31, 2010 for $49 per person.Book ANY Saturday wedding date through August 31, 2010 for $59 per person.Picturesque outdoor ceremony area now available!Our weddings include a 5-hour premium open bar, valet parking, chic centerpieces, a gourmet feast and the breathtaking beauty of our brand new ballrooms. Who could ask for more? October 15th will be the busiest booking day of the year, so call (732) 544-9300 x708 now to book your personal tour! Holiday Inn of Tinton Falls700 Hope RoadTinton Falls, NJ 07724email | www.sterlingballroomevents.com
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    As for can it be done - with that guest list it will be tight, admittedly. Be sure to go through it VERY thoroughly with both your FI and the parental units (if you want to get them involved). I cut about 20 people off of my guestlist by eliminating my coworkers and their spouses/dates, for instance. We had a budget of 20k for 140 people (160 invited). Over 65% of our budget was for the reception venue. We really scrimped on a lot of other things, including my dress which I purchased for just under $500.
  • edited December 2011
    Chelsea, that really is perfect. I didn't click on the link but seriously, you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere (in NJ) that will do a traditional ballroom-style wedding for $50 a head. If that deal had been around when I was getting married, I'd have booked on the spot - provided the food or place wasn't absolutely disgusting!
  • edited December 2011
    I clicked on the link and the pics look pretty good. The ballroom looks pretty nice as far as I'm concerned.  And that price includes open bar I'm pretty sure....pretty unbelievable!
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    Otehr ways to save money:* have a really small bridal party (maybe siblings only) or skip it altogether. Fewer flowers and gifts to buy, smaller rehearsal dinner, smaller limo. * or cut the limo altogether. Drive yourselves, or hire a towncar and have family and bridal party drive themselves. * if you don't have your heart set on a church/temple, have the ceremony and reception in one place. You'll save on decorations and won't need transportation. * there are tons of resources for inexpensive bridal gowns (white bridesmaid's dress or evening/prom gown, buy a used dress from eBay or Craigslist, if you fall in love with an expensive dress get a copycat model from a cheaper designer). Wear silver or gold shoes you already have and borrow jewelry and a veil from loved ones, or buy them on eBay. * use vases, candles, framed photos, etc., instead of floral centerpieces* people just throw invites away so don't go nuts on them. Cut down on the number of inserts to save money on paper and postage. You don't need programs, signs everywhere, menus, etc.* go simple on flowers ... stay with local and in-season flowers. Doing all roses or daisies might be quite inexpensive, rather than getting lots of different varieties. You don't need a ton of decor for an already pretty church. Just do boutonnieres, bouquets and corsages for the bridal party and immediate family. Or have the men wear pocket squares and women can carry a single flower, or skip all of it. * DJs are cheaper than bands, usually. Get a simple package, without lighting and a slideshow and all that. * skip favors, nobody will miss them.
  • edited December 2011
    I think my venue, the freehold Radisson also has an economy special going.  Its owned by the same people as the Tinton Falls one.  I dont think its as inexpensive but I thought I heard of people getting the special for $59.  I cant get on the website from work to check.  I think a 15K wedding can be done.  The best way to do it is get the guest list down as much as possible. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • attybride2attybride2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was actually just at that Holiday Inn a few weeks ago for a deposition. I would definitely look into it.  Those centerpieces in the pictures on the website are actually very pretty fake flowers of the venues, so I'm sure are included.  There were no windows in the ballroom if I recall, but for that price, whatever...
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    [img]http://tinyurl.com/muencq[/img]"Well, it can be DOOOOONNNNEEEEEE!"
  • edited December 2011
    The same owners of the holiday inn are the Radisson freehold, they are offering 59 dollar ecomony package for dates next year check it out. Crystalballroomnj.com
  • edited December 2011
    I think it is definitely possible to having a wedding for under 15k. As people said there are many ways to cut costs in terms of flowers, bridal party, etc.. I would look at the Empire Club in Little Ferry. It is a nice small banquet facility that specializes one wedding at a time and in my opinion the food was pretty good.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! Yes i saw that holiday inn advertisement and i called it one hour and 15 minutes from here! :() But i don't know i might conicder waiting or just having a really formal things at the church and then through like a huge party i don't know i didn't really want to settle but the boy in my life says he would hate to spend on one day what we can use to buy our first home. He would perfer to have an okay wedding and go all out on my ring and the honey moon. I don't know this is pretty stressful girls :(
  • edited December 2011
    I got married last year at spent $12,000 including honeymoon! It CAN be done!!! What part of NJ are you from? Northern NJ has some less-expensive venues - Perona Farms, Waterloo Villiage... I also save a BUNDLE ($800) on my dress by getting in online... I have a bunch of really inexpensive options that might work for you - why dont' you send me an email with any questions you might have! ecgraeber@yahoo.com Don't worry, it's your day and it's going to be great - cause you're marrying your groom! Your day is what you make it, so don't you worry about your vendors! :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely can be done.  I'm a budget bride myself and found my dj offers photo and video so I'm getting all 3 for a little over $3K (Colorblind Productions)  We saved with our venue by going with food stations and heavy hordrves rather then full sit down meals.  it can be done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards