California-Northern

Total budget question

I have about 40k for my wedding, and it's going to be small--probably somewhere around 60-70 people. I know there are a thousand factors that go into this, but can anyone give me some insight as to how much I can afford to spend to rent the ceremony and reception venue? Assume the usual things are included (chairs/tables and such, but not food or drinks). We need to pick the venue soon, but it's so hard to tell budget-wise before you make all the other decisions (flowers, attire, etc.). Thank you!

Re: Total budget question

• jackelbridejackelbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Use the knot "budget calculator" or google for one (there are a hundred of them)... with that budget and that small of a guest list you can do a lot!
  • Lizzie012Lizzie012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! And sorry if that was a simple question I should have just googled. Just hoping to hear about personal experiences! Most of the venues I've found and liked are a little over 10,000 just to rent, but I wasn't sure if that was too high...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What venues have you been looking at that were $10k? There are only a few elite venues that cost that much like the Ritz in HMB or Ralston Hall.Please be more specific if you want personal experiences... specific area? specific view? indoor or outdoor? etc?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I see... you just posted about Holly Farm! The site fee there is going to be expensive (such as 10K) but if your budget is $40k for 60 - 70 people than you should be able to afford that!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, Sorry I wasn't being clear! The three venues I've looked at are Holly Farm in Carmel (15k, but this includes lodging for 20), Nestldown in Los Gatos (11k) and Madrona Manor (10k). I've tried to find some cheaper places in Napa, Sonoma and Carmel (I realize these are silly places to look for "cheap" anything! ha) but it seems like even the "cheaper" places are around 7-9k for a Saturday wedding.I'm hoping to do a small, outdoor ceremony and reception (reception can be inside, if necessary) somewhere with mountain or forest views. I'd also really like to find somewhere the wedding party can stay.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are careful with the catering/drinks and floral.... you'll be better than ok! Well that is unless you buy a $5k dress and pay $15k for the venue... then half your budget is gone.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And the Holly Farm is AMAZING! That gets my vote even though it's the most expensive.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oops! Does that include your rings and honeymoon? I hope not!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, that doesn't include rings/honeymoon, and I'm definitely not planning on getting a 5k dress! I'm hoping to stick to 1-2k, but we'll see how that goes. It'll be a stretch to get Holly Farm, but it's so perfect I'm definitely willing to cut some other corners to make it happen. Just love the wedding-moon idea--don't know why other places don't do that!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sidenote: have you ever actually been to the Holly Farm? I've only seen it in pictures, so I'm just hoping it lives up to my expectations when we visit...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually I have seen the property! I didn't tour it for a wedding but I've seen the outside of the buildings and the view of the hills! GORGEOUS!But I love that entire area of rolling hills and fresh air! My FI calls it "John Steinbeck" country, which it is... but he thinks it's super romantic... I agree.If you like Nestldown... sm23 has the scoop on that! I don't know anything about Madrona Manor at all.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alright, great--thanks so much! You've been a huge help!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooppsss! Back up! I've seen the Holman Ranch, not the Holly Farm!!!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ha! No worries, now at least I have a new venue to check out :)
  • hmschultshmschults member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you think that the Holly Farm would give me a discount since it has my name? haha only joking..it looks gorgeous though! And I have heard amazing things about Nestledown as well..With that small of a guest list you can definetly afford it! Especially if you DIY a couple of things..does the $10000 include any food or tables, and chairs and such? I am getting married at Kennolyn..I think that our venue rental for cereomony and reception was 3,000, but we booked when they were having specials that got us 2,000 off...My guest list is 200 and we are at $36,000..just to give you an idea
  • Roni.CedraRoni.Cedra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is doable. E-mail me if you want a breakdown of my budget... I got some sweet deals and had more people then you etc... ronidittli at gmail dot com!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Holly! I'm so jealous that you're having you're wedding at Kennolyn! I love their 'weekend wedding' deal where all your guests stay at the property. Unfortunately, I don't have enough people to have a Saturday wedding there (I think their minimum was 150?). :(Holly farm's package is actually 17.5k, but that includes lodging for 4 days/3 nights for 22 people, all the chairs/tables/linens, some extras like massages for the bride/groom, and site fees for ceremony, reception and rehearsal dinner. You can also bring in your own alcohol, which saves a lot. I'm going to see it this weekend--so we'll see if it's worth all that or not!
  • hmschultshmschults member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I am excited too! We couldn't afford the wedding weekend...We wont have enough people staying two nights to make it worth it...but we got shuttles that will be taking us and our guests to and from the Seascape beach resort(where we will be staying too) and the Seacliff Best Western. Bringing in your own alcohol with paying a corking fee?? Now that will save you a lot of money! Let us know how it goes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards