Military Brides

getting leave?

i want to plan a traditional wedding, but I'm marrying a Sailor, am I going to be able to get his leave approaved 6 months in advanced? is it realistic to expect that? or am I just dreaming too big?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: getting leave?

• edited December 2011
    Good luck, leave can be tricky. DH put in his request in Dec for our then July planned wedding. He was approved, but then they said he couldn't have those three days off but offered him two weeks in June which we ended up doing. This was the end of March and half our stuff was booked. Thank God we had a clause in all of our contracts so that wasn't a problem. Moral of the story is that nothing is ever set in stone with the Military! So write those clauses and do the best you can. Every branch is different, every post/base/ship is different. You can try for six months before, but don't hold your breath. Good luck!
  • MrsWilson0611MrsWilson0611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am marrying a sailor too, all of our contracts will include a military clause in case we need to re-schedule.  I have always dreamed of having a traditional wedding and I'm not willing to give that up because of the challenges presented by my FI's career.
  • angelsmileangelsmile member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on the command and what is up with his ship, and what his exact job is.  Example...everyone else might get leave easily but if he's part of a department that has a huge zone inspection coming up it may be difficult.That's what happened with DH, huge inspection and he wasn't given the official nod to go get married until 3 days before.  Now, he didn't tell me that of course and I'm so glad he didn't.They knew when the wedding was and it was almost impossibly doubtful that they'd have told him no, but the possibility is always there.Have him speak candidly with his seniors about the upcoming schedule for the next several months so that y'all can pick the most advantageous time (that you know of now, things change).  Make sure you have military clauses in all your contracts, and try to be as flexible as possible.  This far out, I'd plan things like colors, flowers, dresses, food, photographer...and wait on exact vendors for location and catering until later.
  • edited December 2011
    We've already booked the site, those places book 11 months in advanced, and the only thing we know for sure is that they wont be underway when we get married, because they'll be on a mandatory 3 months, on land, after their first major voyage after an overhaul. (I'm probably using all the wrong wording, but it's ok)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MrsWilson0611MrsWilson0611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since you've picked a date and booked your venue, I would go ahead with all of your planning - just put military clauses in your contracts and avoid using the date on items for your wedding.  At least you know that your FI won't be underway at that time, if he can't get your date approved a few months before the wedding you can re-schedule everything for a different date when he can get approved.  You won't lose any money thanks to the military clauses in your contracts and it should be early enough to let your guests know about the change.
  • edited December 2011
    I am definitely not saying this to scare you because it all depends on each situation but FI (also in the Navy) and I are getting married in 25 days and we just found out the school he's going through is now tacking on another 2 weeks (we had planned our wedding and honeymoon around his break between his schools) which means he's due back the Monday after our Saturday wedding. We had been planning on moving all my stuff in with him during the following week and then going on our honeymoon. He put in a chit to at least get a couple days off so we can move but it was denied yesterday. So, we're postponing our honeymoon, I'm moving by myself and he's going to get home for the wedding one day before and leave one day after.  On the bright side, we're getting married! It may not be the best case scenario for our just-married days, but it puts the most important things to us in perspective. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards