July 2012 Weddings

Work Out

Who is working out? What kind of work out are you doing.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Work Out

• edited March 2012
    I have been trying to work out 5 days a week. Mixing my workouts up each day. Monday, Weds and Thurs  I do strength training with weights and then do 40-50 mins total on each or a combo of eliptical/tradmill/stair master. Tuesdays I do spin class. Then Saturday or Sunday I do a 2-3 mi. run outside. I give myself 2 days off a week :-)
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I was running three days a week, trying to train for a 10k run, and curling one day a week. I found with giving myself 3 days off a week and mixing up my workout like that, it just didn't work for me! Needless to say I fell off the wagon and will not be doing a 10k. I know most people need variety in their workouts, but I need structure and a strict schedule or I lose momentum quickly.

So now I am only allowing myself 1 day off a week. On an average day I try to do 20-40 minutes of cardio, and then I mix up whether I focus on working my arms or my legs each day (although I tend to do a little of both each day) - I use the weight machines, free weights, and my own body resistance. I also do abs every workout day. My workouts range from 30 minutes to an hour and a half, although it's usually 45-60 minutes total. 

If I feel like I need a day off, but it's not a day I am supposed to take off, I will just make myself go to the gym to do at least 20 minutes of light cardio. Often once I'm there I end up doing my full workout anyways!

I'm down a few pounds already and feeling great! 
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2012
    I usually hit the gym around 3x a week for cardio (60 - 90 minutes): running and either the ellipitical machine or the stairmaster. Then, I've been doing yoga at home. In February, I bought a beginners DVD that includes regular routines and exercises with weights/resistance bands. I had been doing yoga 1 - 2x per week, but this week I've really been better and have been doing it every day that I don't go to the gym. 

I also just ordered a pilates DVD to use in addition to the yoga. Having the DVDs at home makes it so much harder to skip a workout since I have literally no excuse not to workout! I have also been tracking calories/exercise on the myfitnesspal app. It has been SO helpful and I have seen results. 

Yoga DVD: 

imageAnniversary
  • Since last June I've been meeting with a personal trainer 2x per week for at least 30 minutes each session (we do a lot of TRX, strength circuits, plyometrics, and some Crossfit).  I then do cardio 3-4 additional days per week.  My training sessions are up in 2 months and then I start Crossfit bootcamp for 4 weeks.  After that, I'm hoping to be moved into our new house so I can start doing P90X.... gym memberships are not in my budget anymore.

I'm down about 10% body fat and almost 4 dress sizes but the scale hasn't budged more than 5 lbs.

I'd like to start running but I have terrible form and always end up injuring myself, so I stick to other forms of cardio (elliptical, hiking, power walking, jump rope, etc).  I just bought a hula hoop, too! :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • yoga every day, weight lifting 2x/week, and some other type of cardio once a week to mix things up. 

my suggestion? find something you love. you won't want to do it if you don't love it. you won't be excited about going to the gym if all you do it stand on an elliptical for an hour. I know this is the routine for lots of people - but they aren't passionate about it. 

try some group exercise classes. Find a good enthusiastic instructor who will pump you up and make you love what you are doing. This is typically the easiest way to actually have fun while you get a good workout. 
  • I do I go to the gym about 3x a week and I rotate running for 2 miles then do some weight training.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_work-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:f319d518-4fba-4b7d-9107-d22c5dc01a2aPost:396ec51a-edf1-4562-bc2c-2f0788a40eb6">Re: Work Out</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since last June I've been meeting with a personal trainer 2x per week for at least 30 minutes each session (we do a lot of TRX, strength circuits, plyometrics, and some Crossfit).  I then do cardio 3-4 additional days per week.  My training sessions are up in 2 months and then I start Crossfit bootcamp for 4 weeks.  After that, I'm hoping to be moved into our new house so I can start doing P90X.... gym memberships are not in my budget anymore. I'm down about 10% body fat and almost <strong>4 dress sizes</strong> but the scale hasn't budged more than 5 lbs. I'd like to start running but I have terrible form and always end up injuring myself, so I stick to other forms of cardio (elliptical, hiking, power walking, jump rope, etc).  I just bought a hula hoop, too! :)
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]
    this is INCREDIBLE!!! congrats!! 4 dress sizes is a LOT!
    PS I love that you jump rope as part of your cardio! i was a competitive jump roper for most of my life so it warms my heart :) :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_work-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:f319d518-4fba-4b7d-9107-d22c5dc01a2aPost:16191d18-53ec-48be-a134-fd2efb85a0dc">Re: Work Out</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Work Out : this is INCREDIBLE!!! congrats!! 4 dress sizes is a LOT! PS I love that you jump rope as part of your cardio! i was a competitive jump roper for most of my life so it warms my heart :) :)
    Posted by butterflyjumper1[/QUOTE]

Thank you  :)  It sometimes feels like a small drop in a large bucket to know how much farther I still have to go. 

What entails being a competitive jump roper?  That sounds like a lot of fun... and it is such an intense workout.  I got into it when my boxing/kickboxing buddies at the gym let me borrow their jumpropes.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I don't have set schedule because with my job I just can't commit to anything any day of the week. I do go to yoga on Saturday and/or Sunday, and then once during the week (at minimum) and I do cardio somewhere around 3 times a week (elliptical). I've also been taking Barre Burn classes at my gym once a week when I can - they are fun and I like how it's switching up my workouts. I definitely second the group exercise classes, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't really describe competitive jump rope, but if you have one minute, watch this :) this is me and my partners doing our routine that made us national champs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppXM5Llg-Vg&feature=autoplay&list=UUI87UwGFBMDc4LZwTOTbuFA&lf=plcp&playnext=1

• That video was out of control awesome. I'm so glad I can watch these things on my work computer!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I do thai kickboxing 4-5 days per week.  On off days I do the elliptical (we have one at our house) or I do the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_work-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:f319d518-4fba-4b7d-9107-d22c5dc01a2aPost:4e40e681-579d-46dd-bc1d-cefcfa12b7a6">Re: Work Out</a>:
    [QUOTE]That video was out of control awesome. I'm so glad I can watch these things on my work computer!
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]

thank you so much!!! people are always like what the heck do you mean you were a jump roper?!? the only thing I can do to make them understand is demonstrate :)
  • butterfly - I wasn't picturing that at all hahaha..  but WOW!  Really impressive!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited March 2012
    Sounds like everyone has kicked it into full gear with great workout routines! keep it up! It will pay off girls :-) My goal is to lose 1lb a week between now and the wedding. I think that is totally doable and a healthy pace to lose.

I'm really trying to concentrate on my arms and stomach. Don't need jello arms on my wedding day, lol. Has anyone ever used the shake weight? lol.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Ugh no matter how much I work out, my weight won't budge!!! Well, at least not more than the usual 3-4 lbs it varies by day anyway.

I've been going to Curves, usually 3 days a week but this past week was my worst in a long time due the funeral and going to visit my sister. However, I did play tennis with FI on Tuesday and will continue to do so every warm day he doesn't work lol And I did the elliptical at my sister's...and other times in between the gym I do the 30 day shred video by Jillian Michaels-it kicks my butt even on level 1!!

I mix it up, obviously, but nothing is working. I need to watch what I eat better-I'm positive that would help but I'm terrible at it lol
    imageAnniversary
  • Your weight is 80% diet and 20% working out. Once you get into a routine of eating better, the lbs will drop off.

Fo realz.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_work-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:f319d518-4fba-4b7d-9107-d22c5dc01a2aPost:7eb1b5d8-3af5-4016-9a2e-f99b1ef3abb7">Re: Work Out</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like everyone has kicked it into full gear with great workout routines! keep it up! It will pay off girls :-) My goal is to lose 1lb a week between now and the wedding. I think that is totally doable and a healthy pace to lose. I'm really trying to concentrate on my arms and stomach. Don't need jello arms on my wedding day, lol. Has anyone ever used the <strong>shake weight</strong>? lol.
    Posted by lvissers[/QUOTE]

hahahaha are you for real??? the shake weight is hilarious. the ladies version weighs like 3 pounds or something, all you are gonna do is give yourself some shaking whiplash.

get some real dumbbells that are a weight challenging to you. do bicep curls, tricep extensions, flies, shoulder presses, incline presses, and some straight arm raises out to the front and to the sides. do like 3 sets of 12 of each exercise twice a week. that's about what my arm routine is. i promise it will do way more than a shake weight ever will.
  • holy cow butterfly that video was crazy impressive! My jaw just kept dropping lower and lower watching that lol.
    Photobucket
  • I am a huge fan of mixing it up! Currently I'm curling once a week (yay for curling Rebis!) Turbo Jamming 3 times a week, strength training 1 time a week and throw in yoga during the week when i have time.

And like a pp said what you eat is also so important.

I am super excited b/c i'm generally pretty fit but i've managed to drop 10lbs in just under a year by making eating well and exercise a regular habit ... it seemed much easier than all the other crash diets i've done lol
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards