Catholic Weddings

Hymns

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I only found a thread about recessionals during a search.At our first meeting with the priest, he said we should contact the parish's music director for guidance. Everything has to go through her, though we may be allowed to bring in outside people (a friend who's a church musician has offered to help, and the priest said it probably wouldn't be a problem).The church only allows "religious music," and I'm sure I'll find out whether that means hymns-only or whether religious classical music is allowed when I call the music director (we only met with the priest yesterday). What music are you using/have you used? Do you have suggestions for selections from commonly used hymnals like Glory and Praise or the Catholic Book of Worship? I already have some ideas but I'm wondering what other people have done.

Re: Hymns

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Full music list in my bio under Ceremony. Our church uses the Gather hymnal, so anything not "classical" is from Gather.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Ours were:Processional/entrance hymn -- "O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus" (not in most hymnals, but it's in the public domain now so we could reprint it in the program)Preparation of the Gifts -- "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling"Communion -- "Christ, Be Our Light"Presentation to Mary -- "Salve Regina" Latin plainchantRecessional -- "O God, Beyond All Praising"
  • libertaslibertas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!ring_pop, I wanted Ruth 1:16-17 so badly but it's not in the package of readings they gave us to choose from. :(
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It wasn't in the book they gave us either, but we were allowed to use any reading we wanted. The package they gave us were just suggestions. Maybe you should double check on that!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • libertaslibertas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll ask, but the priest gave us this book and told us that if they give us another book during our marriage prep courses, we should ignore it and use the book he gave us instead. Thanks for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards