New Hampshire

Dress Fitting :(

So I had my dress fitting tonight and while it doesn't need much work the seamstress told me "don't gain any weight, if anything you can lose weight" I like to think that I'm not a big girl but she said the way Maggie Sottero makes her corsets she makes them thin... so basically just the fabric behind the strings of my corset is the only thing that is not fitting me, otherwise it fits great... UGH!!! I wanted to cry... so now.. I need to lose some weight and I have about a month to do it.

Re: Dress Fitting :(

• MrsWilson0611MrsWilson0611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure that you will be so busy and excited in this next month leading up to your wedding that you will lose weight easily or at least maintain where you are now.  Don't let it stress you out, you will look beautiful! 
  • edited December 2011
    You will look fantastic! Absolutely do not stress. Need a little support?? Check out the Getting in Shape board the ladies are SUPER supportive and fantastic!! They aren't into the 'quick fix' dieting necessarily but do have all sorts of advice.
  • Steffy3217Steffy3217 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok 1st off.... how rude. That is not something ANYONE should be told especially not a bride 1 month away from their wedding. 2nd.. If you feel comfortable with how it fits, screw the little fabric piece or see if your seamstress can be pro-active and do something about it. 3rd.. it's true you will lose a little over the next month no matter what, it's going to happen. You have enough to stress about, don't let this get you down, you're going to look amazing no matter what!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, that means a lot. You made me feel a LOT better!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, that was SO rude of her. I find that comments like that are self serving - in other words, SHE will have less to do if you lose weight but may need to rip out a seam and adjust the dress if you gain. SHE's being lazy. That's why I believe that her comments are self serving. She's overbooked and cant' stand the thought of just one more seam to adjust. Don't take it personally.
  • edited December 2011
    My Maggie DID NOT fit and they are usually very forgiving dresses (I got a size 6 from Craigslist and I usually wear an 8 on top).My seamstress told me not to worry AT ALL.  She simply took the piece of fabric behind the corset off and reattached it a few inches over (so that the ties could streach even further without showing any skin under). Then she moved the button over that attached the corset fabric to the rest of the dress.  These small changes gave me a few inches and it made all the difference.  She even said she would remake a new piece of fabric if it still wasn't enough room.  That's the beauty of a corset back - it changes to fit YOU.See if your seamstress is willing to try this out (losing weight is NOT an option a month out you have no idea where the weight will come off) and you don't need the stress IMO.Drop me an e-mail if you'd like my seamstress info (she's in Hudson)
  • edited December 2011
    Danto, I assume you went to Dolly... thats who Im going to.
  • edited December 2011
    ditto all PPs....a good seamstress can, and should, make anything fit (unless it is something ridiculous like you're trying to wear a size 0 when you need a 6...but that's not the case so i digress). You do not NEED to lose any weight. this month is going to go by so quickly for you and it is most important that you ENJOY it and not be on some crash diet. that being said, i really enjoy doing the jillian michaels 30 day shred workout dvd. i found that it helped me tone up pretty nicely really quickly.
  • edited December 2011
    Yup Dolly - she can be a bit batty some times (but does great work).  Ask her to see if she has fabric in house to redo the back.  She's capable of miracles - lie and say you don't lose weight easily (a few tears helped me) if you get too much room in it you can always tie it tighter, so she should be doing all sorts of things to let it out.GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards