Wedding Reception Forum

I'm having issues...

I rented out a reception hall that is kinda tiny and I am not sure how I am going to fit everything and everyone in there. It is meant to hold about 50-75 people and we will probably have up to 100 if not more attend. We also have to fit in all of our food, plus the cake and the DJ. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make more room in this tiny building? I cant really afford to rent anywhere else and Ive already told all the vendore where the reception will be at. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm having issues...

• You can try to cut down on your tables by getting rectangular table that hold more people.
  • Cut the guest list or go find a bigger hall. If the hall seats 50-75, that's all you can invite. Talk to the hall management to find out what their max capacity is and how they would arrange it. More than likely, fire codes will prevent having more than that.
  • thanks yeah we have rectangular tables.. I was thinking about even putting a bunch of chairs around the perimeter and a few tables for the children to eat on or something like that. I really cant afford to change the reception hall and the town the wedding is in I really have no choice.
  • Better check the fire code then.  If it meant to hold no more than 75 people (that includes vendors, any living body inside the building) then you are going to have to cut your guest list.  The last thing you want is a fire code that dictates 75 or so people, have 100 people there, and have the hall shut you down.  it's happened.
  • It is meant to hold about 50-75 people and we will probably have up to 100 if not more attend. Take probably out of the equation and trim the list.  Ditto about fire codes.   Also, not a fan of the idea of putting chairs around the perimeter.  So some people would get tables and others would have to juggle their plates in their laps?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Don't invite more people than you building can legally hold. I would also trim the guest list a bit more than that to ensure the guests you do invite will be comfortable.Unfortuantely, there isn't really a way to poof more space into existance.  Invite the number the room can hold (including vendors and all their stuff) and leave it at that.Cutting the list will probably be hard but I'm not sure you will have much of a choice.
  • Cut the guest list or find a bigger place. I totally understand that you're on a budget, but take this as a lesson learned to plan ahead next time.
  • Don't invite more than you have room for. Period. If 50-75 is all you can afford, then only invite 50-75. And don't plan on so-and-so not coming because not only will they come, they'll probably also bring their teenage son or their brother who wasn't invited.
  • ditto other posters.  You made a huge mistake in booking a venue that is smaller than your guest list.  So now you have ONLY two options:cut the guest list OR switch venues to one that will accommodate your guests.  (The vendors are not a big deal.  They don't care if they're setting up in Marlee's Casa de Love or Nina's Wedding Palace.  Just give them the address.)There may well be a fire code that prohibits too many people.  If that's the case, a fire marshall would be well within his/her rights to walk into your reception and end it right there, right then.  I'm sure you don't want that to happen.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I'm sorry, I cannot think of a nice or gently way to put this, but IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD ANOTHER VENUE, YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO HOST THAT MANY PEOPLE! If you try to stuff twice as many people as the venue is meant for, it's a recipe for disaster. When people get overcrowded, they will be uncomfortable, cranky, and more likely to leave early with the overwhelming impression of a poorly planned event. You will come across as cheap, plus it might create an usafe condition if it exceeds fire code capacity. The best and only way to fit everyone in there, is to cut your guest list, and/or have less "stuff". That means less room for the DJ, no dancing/dancefloor, less tables for food, cake and gifts, or do finger foods only to keep guest on their feet and mingling. But that means they will leave sooner. If you have already invited that many people, then set up an awning and tables outside if possible, or possibly a tent for the food? Get as many chairs at tables as possible, and serve food on tiered serving trays so food trays don't take up as much table space. And hope that a lot of people can't make it.
  • The problem is.... the wedding is in a one horse kinda town and there is LITERALLY no other way to get another building because there isnt another one to rent out anywhere... its this or outside in an open field out in the woods somewhere. There is no fire code I already asked. She said I could rent a tent and have the food set up outside or something like that which is probably what I will end up doing. As far as cutting the guest list, that is one thing we are determined we arent doing. We want all the people we love there so we arent cutting anyone one off.
  • What if you use the reception area for cocktails and dancing and rent a tent for a seated dinner?  Or you could use the small space and do a cocktail reception.  Then you wouldn't need all the space for big tables.  You could just put some high boy tables and chairs for older people.  That's definitely a tough one, especially since it's hard to not include people on your guest list that you really want to be there.  Good luck!
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • What I will probably end up doing is renting a small tent for outside and have the food set up out there. The only dilemma is I know there is going to be A LOT of food so I cant figure out where to put it. There will be plenty of room as long as all that food isnt in there. Plus even though were inviting about 150 ppl we are thinking about 75-100 should come so it shouldnt be too bad. If more than 100 end up rsvp-ing yes then I will probably end up renting a tent and since the wedding is in Florida hopefully we wont need the heater :)
  • Holy cow you are expecting a LOT of declines!  Why are you so sure they won't attend.  Your recipe for disaster just doubled! My first DD got married in the middle of winter in MI.  We expected a lot of declines but because everyone here hounded me to budget for 100% attendance (even though we were so sure we would get a lot of declines) I did just that.  Thank God - 96% showed up!  We never ever expected that, but thankfully we were prepared. oot has posted many times that they invited 200 people to her DD's wedding and only a couple didn't show up. I just want you to understand that brides come here OFTEN lamenting that too many people have deciding to attend the wedding and get together with the family, and now they don't have enough room. Why are you so certain of such a huge decline rate?  
  • What is the fire code. Remember that fiore code includes you and the vendors.
  • Because almost more than half of the people we are inviting live on the other side of the country and are very distant members of my FI's family (like 6th cousins and people like that) We are just inviting them out of courtesy. They didnt even come to their nephews wedding that was a year ago so I doubt they will be coming to their very distant relative's wedding. That cuts about 50 people off our guests right there. Plus I invited some of my family members that I know for a fact will not come because they (literally) do not travel for anything (mostly because theyre pushing 80) so that cuts out about 75 people total.
  • Ive already asked. They are not strict about a fire code at all. This is pretty much the community center for our little town theres probably been as many as 200 people around this building before, inside and in tents.
  • Not sttrict and having a fire code are different things. Seriously find out what the fire code is there is always one. You can not have more people then that and thus can not invite more peopel then that
  • FYI 6ths cousins can be cut from the list and instead of sending invites teh day of your wedding mail them wedding announcements
  • There is no fire code I already asked.Really?  I find it sort of hard to believe that there is no maximum occupancy in the building.  So if you wanted to you could stuff as many people in the building as can fit?  What about fire hazard, emergency exits, etc?  I mean, everyone hopes that nothing bad happens but what if there is a fire?  Have you thought about what you would do in an overcrowded building if there was an emergency; what your guests would do?You really aren't leaving yourself many options.  If cannot rent something else and you won't cut the guestlist then rent a tent but even with the food somewhere else I don't think you are considering the comfort and safety of your guests.If the room is designed for 50-75 people and you try to squeeze 100 or more in there is it going to be hot, crowded, possibly dangerous, and uncomfortable.I don't think a tent solves this problem. I think you have to be willing to go outside your one horse town or you need to cut your guestlist.
  • They are not strict about a fire code at all. Sorry, I didn't see this before.  That's stupid.  It isn't something to be strict/lax about.  It is a legal issue and a safety issue above all others.Your venue is stupid if they allow you to exceed it.
  • This just sounds like a recipe for disaster. You need to cut your guest list down to 75 and go with it. There is no reason to invite these people that you don't think will go. Otherwise, your wedding is going to be crowded and uncomfortable, people are going to be miserable, and they are going to get out of there ASAP.
  • Since you're obviously not going to listen to us, I would just check with other people who have held weddings there as well as the venue itself to see what they have done in the past to accommodate this many people.  
  • They are not strict about a fire code at all. Oh please...  so you are willing to put your famliy and friends at risk becasue they are not strict on fire codes???  That is the most irresponsible thing I have ever heard.  It's down right criminal. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Geez why is everyone being so harsh?? If you were planning on having a sit-down dinner, you might just have to change that to accomodate all of the people you are expecting. Have heavy hors d'oeuvres, but spread the food out so it's not all packed in one area. Rent some of the tall, small cocktail tables and spread them out around the place so people will have room to mingle, eat and put their drinks. Definitely go ahead and rent a tent for outside and put some food and maybe a little bar out there. If you keep people moving, it won't feel quite as packed. Good luck!
  • I just called and asked. The max is 125 and we are inviting around 155 and I know already off of the top of my head 10 that have already told me that they cant make it so it should be ok because I know at least 20 more wont be able to come.
  • It is never a good idea to assume you know for sure who is/isn't coming.  Invite only as many as your venue can legally and safely hold.  You are asking for trouble by inviting more.  What if guests you think aren't coming decide to travel for the wedding?  What if guests that have told you they can't make it suddenly have a change of plans?What would you do if you invited more than the venue could hold and more than you can accomodate say yes?  What then?Okay. So, time to cut that guestlist.
  • I'm just speaking from experience.  As you can see, I invited 178 people.  While my reception space is no problem, my ceremony space will seat 150 max and that's packing them in like sardines.  I do a happy dance every time I get a no in the mail.  I, too, anticipated for no shows who are not only coming, they want to bring uninvited guests.  Just sayin'.
  • Be careful. You might break fire laws..you might want to confer with the hall owner/manager.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards