Wedding Woes

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

This is just completely over-the-top parenting. What's the point of this? Seriously? Starting when his daughter Trixie was born in 2003, MacNeill began recording every diaper and bottle and, later, each nap and hour of nighttime sleep. He started with a simple spreadsheet but soon put his background as a web developer and designer to use, building a web application to allow him to not only enter all the baby's vital statistics but also share them — with his wife, who had to return to work after a very brief maternity leave, and with the grandparents and other friends and relatives — via a widget on his blog. By 2006 the tool had grown into a site offering subscription and free accounts (about 8000 have been created so far) for parents looking to record, analyze and share the details of their children's daily care, everything from feeding to diapers to sleep to pumping and breastmilk inventory to prescription dosing. Trixie Tracker produces reports and charts and very cool visual representations of your baby's patterns, and those who spring for a paid account can use the iPhone interface. The rest of the article: http://www.babble.com/data-parent-too-much-information/Apparently, that guy isn't alone, either. And I thought it was crazytarded that the nurses at the hospital expected me to write down every diaper change. WDYT? Do you care about your nieces'/nephews'/friends' kids' stats? Would you want to read a widget about diaper changes and feedings? Is this really a good idea, and I'm just too neglectful and lazy to see it?

Re: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

• jojobrnjojobrn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Well, as a nurse who has to track the diapers and feedings at work, we do it because the pediatricians want to know. Not pooping/peeing enough in the first few days can lead us to wonder if there are issues we can't see.But honestly, I don't spreadsheet my dogs info out, I don't foresee my self doing this down the road with kids. never had this issue with my niece, when she was sropped off with me, I just asked when and what she last had to eat and went from there.
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    We're turning into China and creating little emperors out of our children, is what this makes me think of.
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I can see why some parents might want to do this, but no way in hell am I THAT interested in someone else's kid.  And someone really named their baby Trixie? 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't be interested in all that, because every baby is totally different. There's no reason for it, even for comparison purposes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can see this for maybe a special needs kid, where these things are of critical importance.And yes, we wrote all of this down for the first month or so. We were too exhausted to remember left from right, never mind how much the baby ate how many hours ago. It was very helpful in those first few weeks when he wasn't gaining weight and the pediatrician was asking us for details about how much he ate, how often he peed/pooped, etc.My mom still asks me just about every day how Dex slept the night before. But I admit to being surprised that there's this much demand for this much detail.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    This had Pmeg's name all over it- it makes charts and stuff!  I can see where it could be helpful: in the very beginning, with special needs, with preemies, etc.  We didn't write anything down though.I've always wondered about the website that timed contractions for you though.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    something like this:http://www.thinkgeek.com/geek-kids/newborn-infant/b45e/IMO makes sense--make it easier to keep track of which boob you gave the kid and when you changed the diaper.It's not significantly worse than my FF charts already are and it IS significantly less complicated than my headache logs.But...yeah, I think I"m indifferent to everyone else's stats
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards