Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Honoring our mothers

My fiance and I would like to honor our mothers at the beginning of our ceremony, but we want to give them something that they can keep (not a rose).  I've suggested a handkerchief to him, but he doesn't like that idea.  Any other suggestions?  We are trying to keep this one as low budget as possible...

Re: Honoring our mothers

• former MOG and MOB speaking here:  I don't think you need to give them anything during the ceremony.  As a mom, what would mean FAR more to me would be this:You and your FI each hand write a lovely letter or card to your respective moms.  Tell them all that they mean to you, and how much you value all that they've done to bring you to this place in your life's journey.Take a private moment before the ceremony, each of you, to give it to your mom.  You can simply say "This note says what I'm too emotional to say to you in words."I'd be so much more "honored" by that moment with my son and/or DD than I would being handed a hanky or other "memento" in front of all the guests.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • 3 time MOB here - double dog ditto trix!  That would be the ultimate gift for me.
  • From a FMOG--me three!
  • I must say, these moms make a very good point. I know that would be the world to my mother. I could see why you wouldn't want to give them roses, and I get your fiance's dislike of the hankerchief idea. Afterall, not many women still use them, and hardly anyone I know would appreciate a classic momento like that. I personally have an old hanky my Aunt gave me before my first prom. I dunno if you would consider something like what we're doing. Rather than giving a gift we're asking our moms to participate in a little after ceremony presentation. Instead of a gift you could maybe ask your moms to do a special reading or something else in your ceremony.
  • I like the note idea as well.  We are also including our mothers in our ceremony - we are having them be our witnesses for our marriage license & the ketubah we will be signing during the ceremony, which we are going to say a lil' bit about why we chose for them to be our witnesses (still working on the wording)
  • We had my flowergirls each give one single rose to each mom during the start of teh ceremoney ( as the Fgs went in) it was uber sweet and cute . Do a flower during teh ceremoney and the keepsake as the parents of teh bride and groom gifts
  • The note I'm sure would mean the world to your mothers, but if you are looking for a bit more public thank-you who about Mother and Child pendent instead of the rose. Another way you can include them would be to add sand for you in a sand cermony. For details... http://www.weddinglighthouse.com/index.php?p=1_11_Bride-Groom-include-parents. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you wil pick just the right thing. :-)
  • Thanks trix1223 that is a great suggestion!  We were trying to think of something very special to do for our mothers also, I will be suggesting that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards