Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

KitchenAid Stand Mixer

Do you have one?  Is it worth the money?  I've always used a hand mixer and it's fine but some people rave about the stand mixer and I just don't know whether I need one.Thoughts?  Trying to decide if I should put one on the registry even though it seems unlikely I'd get one anyway.

Re: KitchenAid Stand Mixer

• hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best money I ever spent. It's especially good if you make things like thick cookie dough or bread. I've even made homemade pasta with it (special attachment), and it worked great! I also love my kitchenaid food processor. I use them both fairly frequently. On a side note, when my aunt got divorsed, she told her ex he could take anything in the kitchen except her kitchenaid stand mixer. That's how much she loves it.
  • jaramlerjaramler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What model do you recommend?  I think there are a couple different levels.  Would the most basic one be sufficient?  Some of them get pretty expensive. 
  • edited December 2011
    Totally worth the $.  And you'd be suprised, you'll probably get it.  I got mine as a shower gift from two of my aunts who are known for being frugal.  But they both love to bake, so it seemed appropriate that it came from them.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • periippaperiippa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WORTH EVERY PENNY!Honestly, that is the ONE THING I MUST have.I seriously love to bake :)
  • wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the Artisian is a good all purpose model.  Not too big, not too small.
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have the artisan in gray. It's a good size (I can make enough dough for 4 loaves of bread at a time or a double batch of chocolate chip cookies).
  • edited December 2011
    I love to cook, but I only bake a couple times a year (banana bread, christmas cookies, and a few other times here and there). I have the 7Cup Cuisnart Food Processor that I use all the time for chopping and blending. I do not have a Kitchen Aid mixer and I am not going to register for one. I lived with my MOH for five years and she had one and I used it then, but now that I live with my FI and I don't have the mixer I really don't miss it. For how little I bake I use a hand mixer and it works fine. I would say if you bake often you will find it to come in very handy and you will get plenty of use. If not, you might do just fine with the handheld mixer. Cheers to registering!
  • jmconnorjmconnor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love mine and use it all of the time. I already had one before I got married, but I received the chopper attachement and the pasta maker attachment as wedding gifts, and they are also fantastic.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I love my stand mixers so much I own 3 LOL...  It's a long story, but we did get one as a wedding gift...The Artisan is a good mixer to go with that's 5qt.  You really won't have a ton of use for a 6qt. and I don't use my 4 1/2 qt. very often anymore because it's slightly smaller than what I'd like for doing batches of things.  Yes, it gets the job done, but I much prefer the 5qt.  As for the third mixer, it's a beast (aka HUGE) and out in the garage because I just haven't had the chance to use it yet...  One recommendation for your registering is to get the mixer in a neutral color for the kitchen (stainless, black, white) because colors for kitchens change and you don't want to be looking at your mixer 40 years from now and thinking about how outdated the color is..  My ma's is going on 45 and it's 60's green which was all the rage in style back then, instead of thinking how long she's had it we think about how she can't change her kitchen color because anything other than that line of green won't match the mixer...  Also, register for the attachments that you'll be likely to use (grater, pasta maker, etc.) and an extra bowl.  The extra bowl isn't that expensive and you'll use it more often than you think you will.
  • edited December 2011
    I love my kitchen aid mixer! We got ours as a wedding gift from my mom. My Grandma gave all of her daughters stand mixers as a wedding gift, so my mom and my aunts did the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards