Massachusetts-Boston

Ketubah

To all my Jewish Brides,Any suggestions on where to purchase a Ketbuah that is reasonably priced and that has a lot of options for wording?  I don't want anything too biblical or religious, but we are including the Ketbuah signing as part of our ceremony (I am superstitious and don't want to see my FI before the ceremony).  Thoughts?

Re: Ketubah

• edited December 2011
    Ketubah.com has a ton of choices.  You have to look at each artist though, because some of them have different wording.  But there are definitely tons of choices for wording on that website, and there are a few other websites as well.  We had a bit of a difficult time matching up the wording we liked with the artist, but we figured it out eventually.  GL!
  • jenvaletjenvalet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We bought ours at Shuki's in Framingham, but it was pricey, as most are.  Each artist will have their own wording, and usually different variations.  You'll just have to find one that is right for you, and one that your rabbi will agree with.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Can I ask how much they cost at Shuki's?
  • edited December 2011
    I second ketubah.com and you can customize the text to make it fit your needs. They also have ketubahs as low as 150, which is a steal IMO.
  • edited December 2011
    Also, the Israel Book Stop in Brookline has a small selection... but I imagine they are like shuki's and costly. I'd assume at least 250 per piece.
  • edited December 2011
    I also forgot to mention Kolbo, which is in Brookline.  If you go to the store, even if they don't have a particular design you're looking for, they can usually still order it.  But yeah, the can be anywhere from $150 to $400.
  • edited December 2011
    I went through mpartworks.com, and love the final result.  They had many different wordings, and you can fully customize your wording as well.  Ours is an interfaith ketubah, so not very religious as all.  They also have a huge selection of designs and artwork.  I think prices are in the $200-$400 range.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jenvaletjenvalet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think mine was $350.  But we really looked at it like a piece of artwork and were willing to spend the $ on it.  We loved the final product.  The woman who owns Shuki's will also help you with choosing the proper frame for it. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • ilovemycaratsilovemycarats member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second mpartworks.com - they have some decent ones for $99
  • edited December 2011
    Got mine at Kolbo- good selection...  I think we spent 350 after having it customized with our names...
  • edited December 2011
    I'll third ketubah.com. The wording options depend on the artist, and there is a wide variety. Ours was a modern Reform wording. PIB of our design. good luck! :)
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The most reasonably priced ones are on eBay.  They always seem to have some from close-outs of religious bookstores and the like, typically around $50.  Obviously, you would have to contact the artist directly if you wanted personalization for one you found on eBay, but that is still probably your least expensive option.We got ours from [url=http://www.20thCenturyIlluminations.com]20th Century Illuminations[/url].  It was about $250, not counting the custom text we got, but it was the design we kept coming back to.[url=http://sites.google.com/site/2dbride/ketubah/KetubahFramed-anon.jpg][img]http://sites.google.com/site/2dbride/ketubah/KetubahFramed-anon.jpg?height=315&width=420[/img][/url]
  • robinmswrobinmsw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also got ours from [url]www.mpartworks.com[/url]  They have a lot of different choices for wording, including some that are not biblical or religious. And, because I love our wording so much, I'm pasting it! (I literally get tears in my eyes every time I read it.) Sorry if it gets weird formatting.On the ___ day of the week, the ___ day of ___, in the year ___, which corresponds to the ___ day of ___, in the year ___, in ___, the groom, ___, son of ___, and the bride, ___, daughter of ___, joined each other before family and friends to enter into the holy covenant of marriage, and with love and compassion each vowed to the other: "Today I love you completely, as I did yesterday and as I will tomorrow. I will be there for you when you need me most. I will hold you in my heart just as I hold you in my arms. I will share in your dreams, delight in your joys, and comfort you in your sorrows. I will be your confidant, your counsel, your friend, and your lover. When you are not within my sight, you will be within my thoughts. You are my life; you are my dreams; you are my joy; you are my love; you are my everything. At this moment you are all that I know and all that I see. As we grow old together and our love matures, may we hold on to the passion and affection for each other we feel today. Our commitment to each other seals this document."
  • edited December 2011
    robin - that is beautiful wording!!  I don't remember seeing that wording when we were looking.  It's really sweet...
  • robinmswrobinmsw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Amy!  I love it so much :o)
  • divagrrldivagrrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most ketubot are sold online these days, though you can also find them at Judaica shops, museum stores and synagogue gift shops. It's a good idea to put some time into searching for what you like, as there are so many artists out there, and not all of them are carried by the big online stores. Plus if you order direct from the artist in most cases you'll get faster and better service, dealing directly with the expert, rather than through a middleman. The ketubah is one of the few things from your wedding that will actually last beyond the day itself, so it's not something you want to scrimp on. It will be hanging on the wall in your home for the rest of your lives together! Find a ketubah you both really love. You won't regret it. As you look for designs you like, here are some things to look for and think about:1) Do you like the texts they offer?2) Can you modify the text, or write your own text?3) If you do write your own text, do they offer translation services?4) Will you be able to speak directly with the artist if you have questions/concerns, or will you have to go through a middleman? (since buying a ketubah usually only happens once a lifetime, most people do have questions!)5) Does your rabbi/cantor approve of your text choice? (Critical! you don't want to get to the wedding and find that your rabbi won't allow you to use your ketubah! It happens...)6) ..and just as important, does your rabbi/cantor approve of the layout of the ketubah? (Many rabbis will not accept a text that is interlinear, or if the text block is unusually shaped. Don't assume! Always check!)7) Do you like the lettering/type on the ketubah? Ketubot all used to be calligraphed by hand, but nowadays more and more ketubah artists are using type. Just as there are more-skilled and less-skilled calligraphers, there are more-skilled and less-skilled typographers. Does the text look like it's been pasted onto the ketubah as an "afterthought"? Or does it look well-integrated, an integral *part* of the artwork? If type, does it look like something you could have made yourself in Microsoft Word? Or does it truly look like a work of art? (For example, my typefaces are digitized from my calligraphy, so for the price of type, my clients get the feeling of calligraphy. Or for those who want it, I can still offer calligraphy.)8) Are you happy with the size of the ketubah? Is the design you like available in different sizes? Remember to allow for the mat and frame, and add several inches to both the height and width when estimating how much space it will take up on your wall. 9) What is the printing method? Is it "lightfast"? Will the ketubah still be bright and vibrant years down the road?10) What kind of paper is the ketubah printed on? I print my ketubot on Arches 140lb. watercolor paper, the same paper I use to make my original artworks, but some ketubot are printed on lighter weight, flimsy stock, or coated stock. If the ketubah is being filled in by hand, this is *critical*, because calligraphy ink can bleed or blob on coated or cheap papers. 11) Are there additional customization options available? (Many of my designs have the option of incorporating your names, wedding date, or even photos into the artwork, and there are other artists offering the same.)12) Will you get to see a proof before the ketubah is personalized and shipped? This is your opportunity to make sure that everything is the way you expect - names spelled correctly, all t's crossed and i's dotted. 13) When will the ketubah arrive? Ideally you want it to arrive in plenty of time, so that if anything goes wrong you'll have time to get another one! (It happens...)14) How will the ketubah arrive? Most ketubot are shipped rolled in a tube, and you'll have to flatten it out when you get it, which can take several days. Some artists offer the option of flat shipping, or even matting. (I offer what I can a "Wedding Ready Upgrade": with the basic upgrade the ketubah comes backed with acid-free fome core, encased in a crystal clear archival sleeve, and includes a signing pen; with the deluxe upgrade the ketubah is also matted, so all you need after the wedding is moulding and glazing.)15) Are there other custom options? For example, can you change colors, shapes, sizes?16) What kind of guarantee does the store/artist offer if something goes wrong?17) What other options are available? The ketubah is such a central part of the ceremony, many of my clients use the design as a visual theme for the wedding, and order coordinating invitations, stationery (place cards, program covers, table tent cards, etc.) and chuppah.18) After asking all these questions, do you really love the ketubah you found? If so, mazel tov! Check it off your list!I hope this is helpful!Melissahttp://www.ketubahworks.comtwitter.com/mdartdesign
  • edited December 2011
    I got mine at Kolbo. I looked on the internet but was a bit nervous not seeing it first hand. Kolbo offerred a lot in terms of pricing and text.. evn for an interfaith couple..which is what me and FI are
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards