Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

When to do registries?

When did you register? We are 8 1/2 months out and wondering if it is too soon to register? Also, I'm wondering if anyone has had family members use your registry to get your Chrismas presents and stuff. Rather than telling my parents and grandparents what I want, couldn't I just tell them to look at my registry? haha, is that tacky? Last Christmas I got a ton of house stuff that I didn't need or wouldn't have picked out myself (first time buying a house, everyone gets you household presents).
Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image

Re: When to do registries?

• wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say too soon.  We did it at the six month mark and even then, I had to go in and remove or change things that the stores discontinued.  If you do it at the six month mark or even now, stick with things that they carry all the time and then closer to your day, add in any seasonal stuff you may want. I think that it would be sort of tacky to ask them to get registry stuff for you before your wedding or showers but that is just my humble opinion.  After the fact, I say anything goes! 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm itching to register because I think it will be fun.  Someone posted awhile back that you should wait til abut 3-4 months before as products switch in the stores so we're going to wait til Feb/March.    I have a list of items to register for though when I'm in the kitchen and think - oh I need this or that.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else. I think 4 to 6 months out is good. You will definitely have to go in and check it/add/delete stuff up until your wedding, but with showers etc... 4 months is definitely good.
  • rkroerrkroer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am right at 8 months away (OMG!) but put stuff on ours already because I knew it'd be fun (and I'm very impatient lately!) I know we'll have to keep adding/adjusting as we go, but figured it doesn't hurt to have some basics on there right now.  For example, we put our fine china on one already because we've been told that won't get discontinued any time soon.  Also, his sister tried looking up registries for us and was like "couldn't find any, where did you register at?"  and we sent out our save the dates with our wedding site on them, and figured this is the one of the only non-tacky ways to get the word out about where we are registered.  I figured if people were looking at the site now they might glance at the stores listed and remember that for when the shower comes along (and then we won't have to include that info in the invites)So long story not so very short --- do it if you want to!  We did and it's really just as much fun as you can imagine!
  • edited December 2011
    rkroer- I'm glad someone else has thought about registring that far out, I also don't mind removing and adding stuff to ours. I think we will mostly just put things on their now that we know won't be discontinued. Also, we have been engaged for 11 months now so I feel like I've been patient enough :)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • jaramlerjaramler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say too early.  Although I think the Christmas thing is a good idea.  Not that you want to advertise it to everybody, but I'm sure family would understand.  I probably wouldn't do it until closer to Christmas though. I'm about 3 1/2 months out and I am just finalizing my registries now.  I started them about a month ago, but I've made a ton of changes since then as I've changed my mind on things.  Also I've already had to update/change several things at Target that have since gotten clearanced out or just are no longer available, so definitely don't do too many things way ahead or they will all be gone. 
  • AJ&BJAJ&BJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered very early, for the exact reason you mentioned. My FMIL wanted to buy us stuff off our registry for Christmas. We were very strategic with where we registered early and didn't pick a place where the assortment changes frequently. We also asked when we went in whether items we were registering for changed often. We had a little rework that needed to be done, but nothing too important was discontinued.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm reading your mail, lady - I'm a year out and did a Williams-Sonoma registry last week. (It might be considered tacky, but both my family and in-laws ask for lists, so my registry streamlines the process.) I'm holding off on Target and Macy's until late spring because I think they have a quicker turnaround when it comes to discontinuing items.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • rkroerrkroer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For what it's worth --- one store we set one up at already was Target and they discontinued a bunch of kitchen gadgets we put on there, HOWEVER they updated our list with the same items from a different line that matched the price point of the discontinued.  That just saved me a whole lot of work!  We may not keep those items once we go instore and do our registry, but at least it's like a "saved suggestion" from them, which I don't mind!
  • edited December 2011
    We registered super early for our wedding.  Like almost 11 months in advance.  Honestly, we've only had one item get discountinued.  Even then BBB emailed us to let us know then we just went in and found a replacement item.  Our guests liked that we registered well before the day and my showers and could watch for sales. If you are ready and know what you want to register for go for it!!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is against the norm but we are already registerd (and have been for a while) and our wedding is over a year away. We choose to regisiter early to get the big part of it done early. I really do not care about having to go update if something gets discontinued. Not all of it will and you can replace as things go out - at least then you have a base to work off of. We like being registered early too because it gave us plenty of time to think about what we put on there before people are going to buy off of it - we have the time to change things around so it is stuff we really want. And it is not like we advertised to people that we are already registered, but if we have family that wants to look they can (some have asked too and we have already gotten some stuff since we recently moved). I say you can register whenever you want - you just may need to be prepared to switch out things that get discontinued.
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to wait until spring but after reading how many people do it earlier and the Christmas thing I might just get out and do that soon!!
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Meh,   We started our registry at C&B a couple of weeks ago cuz FI was in town and they were having a registry even (free bowl!). We stuck with the basics and the lady was helpful in letting us know they stuff they always have in stock and aren't planning to discontinue soon. We will probably wait to finish it up during X-mas break when we both have more time and can start our other ones too.As far as the X-mas list goes...I don't know that I would use the registry for that, but that's just me.
  • edited December 2011
    We registered around 7-8 months out, knowing we would have to go back in Feb (our wedding was in May) to add on bedding, etc stuff that changes with the seasons. I'm glad we did, and regardless of when you register you always end up changing stuff (adding, removing, etc).
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    It's definitely too early.  We registered around the time we sent out our STDs, but no one bought anything until right before my shower.  We also had to go back a few times to delete discontinued stuff and add other stuff.  It was more of a PITA than anything.  I would wait until right before your first shower to register.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards