Catholic Weddings

Do I HAVE to wear a veil?

I am trying to keep everything I can about my wedding very, very simple. My dress will hopefully be one of those $99 sale ones from David's Bridal :) I have no desire to wear a veil though, just a headband or tiara. Are you required to have a veil in a Catholic wedding?

Re: Do I HAVE to wear a veil?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope.Veils were originally supposed to ward off evil spirits, and also prevent arranged marriage grooms from having reason to run (in case the bride wasn't, er, to his liking). Neither of which have Catholic origins.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Nope. You aren't required to wear a wedding dress either. (although I assume they require clothing of some sort) ;)
  • edited December 2011
    no not at all
  • edited December 2011
    Not required to have one, no, but when my MOH got married her priest recommended that she wear a veil to cover her shoulders, since her dress was strapless.I had no problems, though, and my dress was strapless. I wore a veil as well, but it was never going to be a problem if I didn't.
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I think that you SHOULD wear a veil, Hobby Lobby has cheap, nice ones. And the reason is this: Corinthians 11:1-16 The veil should not be a decoration, but rather an outward sign of humility, and obeying God's commandments. It is also a sign of reverence to your future husband. Woman was made out of man, for man and commanded him head of the household, it's in our Catholic heritage (and of course, man should love his wife as Christ loved his Church). Anyway, if you are a having a religious ceremony, please consider honoring this lost Catholic tradition (*Sigh* so many issues with Vatican II) P.S. Sorry, I can be passionate about this...
  • edited December 2011
    My interpretation of that reading is that IF you wear one, it shouldn't be simply a decoration. It should have that stated purpose. It doesn't actually say you should wear one, or have to wear one.And I don't think Vatican II went far enough ;)
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    amber... you wear a scarf on your head every week to church?
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about Amber, but I cover my head in church (whether we are celebrating Mass or attending Adoration.)  Lots of Catholic women and girls do.  Incidentally, just this past week, I saw a family that DH and I are acquainted with, and the youngest girl (who is seven) had also started wearing a veil as her sister and mother do.  (The veil was hot pink.  Adorable.)  But regarding your bridal veil, Mapper, no one is going to force you to wear one.  I do think that they are beautiful and really complete the "bridal" look, though - in addition to the fact that the Bible states that headcoverings are an honor to women as well as pleasing to the angels!  There are many inexpensive options available if you change your mind. 
  • PyroWolfePyroWolfe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say that no, it wouldn't be required. However, each church has their own dress codes. My advice is BEFORE you buy a dress, talk to the minister of the church you're getting married out. Specifically ask him what the dress code is so that you know what you need to be aware of when buying your dress and the BM dresses. You wouldn't want to have to return a dress you love because it doesn't fit church rules. For example, some churches won't allow strapless dresses, or dresses that have a v-neckline, or that dips lower in the back and shows the shoulder blades. I've also heard a story from a bride that had bought knee-length dresses for her BM's but was later told they couldn't wear anything that showed their legs! Hopefully your church won't limit your style selection like this, but it's better to know ahead of time.
  • edited December 2011
    According to www.catholicbrides.com's article entitled "WEDDING CUSTOMS, TRADITIONS AND SUPERSTITIONS":The Veil - (Superstition/Custom) Must a Catholic bride wear a veil? This question along with the inquiry of whether the bride and members of the bridal party should cover their shoulders during the wedding ceremony are often asked. The answer by the way is yes, their shoulders should be covered during the wedding ceremony. Let's consider the origins of this 2,000 year old custom. As with the origins of many bridal customs, once again we find its roots in the providing of protection from evil spirits. Once society had progressed past it?s fear of evil spirits, the veil was used for a more practical purpose, that being secrecy. It was used for hiding the face of an unfamiliar bride from an arranged bride groom and only removed by the groom after the ceremony. Later in the eighteenth century the veil evolved into a symbol of modesty and chastity where it remains to this day. Today the modern bride will make her own decision as to whether she would like to promote this custom by the wearing of a veil. It is not a prerequisite of the church but many brides will have some version of it. Any wedding attire selected for you and your attendants should incorporate a respect for the sacredness and dignity of your ceremony. In North American culture, the uncovered shoulder is not considered disrespectful, however plunging necklines and extremely form fitting dresses can be. In any case, such forms are always inappropriate dress at a wedding liturgy. Every bride radiates true inner joy and beauty on her wedding day, and a degree of modesty in her dress will actually enhance her exquisiteness....Basically, dress with discretion.  I don't think that you will be turned away from the church on your wedding day if you show up  sans veil.  I would just double check with your church about modesty rules.That being said, I think that a tiara or headband in lieu of a veil is just fine.  I think that it's fun that brides are throwing superstition to the wind and creating their own customs.  Good luck with everything!
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • edited December 2011
    I wore a veil and it in no way, shape or form covered my shoulders. It was flowing behind me, not wraped around my shoulders.
  • edited December 2011
    I should add though that this is why I love that the Catholic Church is so diverse. I can go to my liberal church and others who want a more conservative Church can find one as well....all within catholicism.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I do and also to adoration. I also go to a super-conservative church and absolutely ADORE it. www.atonementonline.com :D
  • edited December 2011
    Jasmine- Props for being another chapel veil wearer! :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Amber- Are you also having a Latin Mass for your Nuptual Mass? FI and I are and we are so excited. Your church looks amazing. Where we live, the Latin Mass is scattered at various parishes, and so we lack the sense of community that some have. My mom gets to go to a Chapel with a Latin Mass community, and while it isn't a parish, they do a lot of things that are traditional in origin (including adult catechism, and they are trying to get a Knights of Columbus chapter going).
  • edited December 2011
    The parish I linked you to is my home parish (San Antonio), I am getting married at St. Patrick Cathedral (Ft. Worth) where we will have sort of novus ordo mass. I enjoy latin mass, and my home parish also chats/sings all the other masses, it's quite lovely. I have never been to a latin nuptial mass before though, are you recording it?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards