Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Busy Day! Rings and Presents!

Today has been a busy wedding day for me! First FI gets a phone call from jewelers saying my wedding ring has come in! I head that way after work, and take a look at it, because I hadn't seen it yet. I have to be honest and say I am not 100% happy with it. My engagement ring is made to be a stand alone ring, and the designer was going to charge about 1600 to make me a wedding band to match, which is unfortunately way more than we were wanting to spend on it. So we found a different designer that had a band very similar to my engagement ring. It is just an awkward match I think. They look VERY similar but the wedding band is wider, and the diamonds are bigger than in my engagement ring. It just looks very bulky in comparison. :( So now I don't know what to do about that. Any advice would be appreciated. Should I try and get over it, and see if I can end up happy with it? Or should I see if they will be able to fix it? But on a happy note, our first presents arrived today! My grandma bought our luggage for us! Yay! Totally unexpected! I wasn't planning on actually getting it! Now we are going to be able to pack for Hawaii!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Busy Day! Rings and Presents!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat as you with not being able to find the right wedding band on my budget. : ( Everything just seems too thick next to my engagement ring, which has a very thin band. I finally found a wedding band that seemed to be thin enough and had the diamonds the way I wanted and I put down a deposit for layaway while I thought about it. Two days ago I got my deposit back. I just wasn't happy with the craftsmanship of the ring. It just seemed a little crooked, a little sloppy. It's not noticeable from a distance but I know it's not perfect and I'm anal so I think I might not be able to get over it. Sorry about hijacking your post. I wish I had some actual advice to offer. And I wish I knew more about jewelry so I could figure out what's normal and what's just wrong. I also wish there was a jeweler who I could trust, who would give me an honest opinion of what band goes with my ring instead of just trying to make a sale.
  • Options
    HSchallHSchall member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Assuming that you are not being super super overly picky and noticing things that no other person in the next hundred yours would notice, I think you need to find a fix or a ring that you are happy with.  You will be wearing the ring for the rest of your life and you don't want to be annoyed for the rest of your life everytime you look at the ring.  If your fiance really loves you for you he will understand your need to find the perfect ring.  Another option is to deal with the ring for now and just talk with your fiance about getting something that works better in the future--if you don't mind not getting "THE" final ring on your wedding day this would give you the option to see if it really does bug you that much and if you really do need a different ring. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thats what I'm having a hard time with, I'm afraid I am being picky, but its hard to tell because I am the only person who has seen the ring. AND I know what I want, and I'm afraid to settle. I have to live with this ring the rest of my life! I guess I need other people's opinion, such as FI, because he will be honest with me. He has good taste in stuff like this. I am kind of known to do this though. The whole second guessing and choosing over. I did it with registry, tuxes, invites, and now the ring. :( Oh well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dude, don't even get me started on the registry. I think I know the entirety of Macy's home product inventory at this point yet we have one item on our list (which I can't quite commit to) and the registry is set to the invisible mode. I hope you get your ring situation figured out. Your FI hasn't seen it?
  • Options
    hccpsuhccpsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know you don't want to spend that much on your ring, but I'd go ahead and do it, because you aren't going to be happy with anything else.  $1600 over the course of your marriage isn't really that much, when you think about it.I had a friend once tell me if you can get exactly what you want, you'll never regret it, and he was right!  I'm compromised a few times and always wished I hadn't, so now that I'm older and wiser, I go with what I want.  Find a way to skimp on a couple other things for the wedding and get the ring you really want!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, fiance was working yesterday when I stopped by to see the ring. I think I am going back again today to look at it, and take my camera so I can get a picture and show people and get opinions. Fiance says if I want a different ring, to get a different ring, but I am still hesitant, because I don't like to inconvenience people. :/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I stopped by the store again today to make sure I wasn't making up the problems with the ring in My head. Nope, definitely not, and they all still bother me today. So I took My camera and took some pictures of the wedding band next to My ERing so I could show FI. I stopped by his work and he agreed with me, and didn't like it. Whish makes me feel so much better. I'm not the crazy bride being overly picky! Now we just need to talk to the guy we've been working with and figure out where to go from here. Ill post some pictures tomorrow of the rings together so I can get some of your opinions.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad your FI agreed with you. I always feel so bad telling someone I'm not happy with their work but this is so important and you're paying money to get what you want made. I hope your Jeweler can redo the ring. Maybe now that there's a physical ring to look at it'll be easier to explain exactly what you want done differently. Or you could just skip the hassle and go back to buy the original band designed for your e-ring. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards