California-Los Angeles

How many of you ladies...

Don't live with Fi just yet? And will do so after the wedding? The reason I am asking is cause Fi & I just started looking for a place. We will be renting, and WOW is rent high!!! Atleast in the areas we've been looking around! It is begining to be quite stressful... How far in advance will you start looking for a place? && start moving your things in?

Re: How many of you ladies...

• edited December 2011
    i feel you on this one. although we already live together, we're looking for a place of our own since we live with my sister and niece. i've been browsing the rental ads and i'm afraid we'll be living in san bernardino county! we can't find anything in a decent area that allows large pets. we have 2 huskies and would NEVER be able to give them up :s
  • edited December 2011
    I actually don't live with my FI, and we plan to live right after our wedding. Our situation is slightly different from your though. FI lives with his mother in a 2 bedroom apt, so when we get married she will be moving out and well I'll be moving in :) That's something we all agreed on (it's not like we are kicking her out). In your case, I would look start looking NOW! I see your just short of 2 months. I don't know how the whole furniture thing will work for you guys, depending on how soon both will return to work if you plan to go on a honeymoon right after the wedding. Maybe some family can help you settle in. I would start looking and maybe start asking for help. I don't know if I was any help!
  • edited December 2011
    Okami: Yup, 2 small dogs here too =/ We are trying to stay as close as possible to our family.. but, it seems like we will have to start looking outside our radiar... quemiras: I know!! We are definitely hoping to get something within the month of October, and start settleing in by the Begining of November. As for the Furniture, that is actaully the least of our worries, My parents Own a Furniture store.. ( We are so happy to atleast have that our of the way =) ) I am trying not to stress over this, but it is =/ Maybe we are just being too picky... cause we know there is places out there.
  • edited December 2011
    We don't live together now. I have been looking around just to get a ballpark of prices and have seen the same thing. Dang it is REALLY expensive for such small places. We are getting married next August and are hoping to move in June/July. So we can take our time moving things in and don't have to rush at the end bc I think we might be stressed with all the little details left to do for the wedding. We are just looking around to get the most for our rent. BTW what area are you looking for?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sure you will find something! I would just look every day, especially since the beginning of the month is in a day you never know some apt buildings may post something or offer openings already for the month of November. Just remain positive and don't stress too much, I'm sure you'll find your perfect nest :) BTW- we have 2 fur babies too. Another reasons why we want to stick to the apt they already have, but that could also be why you are seeing HIGH rents. The apt building where FI lives, when he moved they wanted to know the weight of each dog because if it was over 25lbs they were going to charge a security deposit per dog, which was like $100 but I dont remember really the exact amount. Some places just charge extra because you have animals. GL in your search!
  • edited December 2011
    but YES rent is to darn HIGH!!!!!!!! Around my area, FI's friend said she was looking into a 2 bedrorom not sure if it was a 2 bath for $1100. FI thought it wasn't too bad of a price but I wouldn't say it was the best looking building when he pointed it out to me!
  • Genie03Genie03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also now what you guys mean. the good thing is that our families live about an hour away from L.A.  which is Lancaster(I know what you guys are thinking) the good thing about this Desert town is that rent is soooo much more cheaper. My Dh works for city of L.A. DWP so we where really thinking about renting closer to his work, but it was just to expensive. We are renting a new 2700 sq ft house here in lancaster for $1800.00 and if we would look for a place like this in L.A we would have been looking at $5000 plus. so we decided to stay here and let Dh commute. Good luck girls. Just keep looking you will find a place. Just think of the things that are super important to you and Fi and don't sweat about the small stuff.  
  • ericaberryyericaberryy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have been living together for about 4 years we are in the San Gabriel Valley and pay $1000 for a 1 bedroom. Its high I think, we dont have a large place, but on the plus side we have our own laundry room, many places do not. My fiancees sister lives in the city of San Gabriel and pays $1200 for a 2 bedroom. Good luck in your search.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Ay, Amor, Tu Eres Mi Religion.... -MANA Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh I feel your pain. We've lived together for 2 years, and our little one bedroom in Pasadena is $1295/month. It's a decent apartment, so I think it's a good deal considering other places we looked at, but man!When I lived in North Carolina, I lived in a 2-bedroom with a roommate. We each paid $375/month! And it was a REALLY nice, brand new apartment- huge, fireplace, washer dryer, pool, etc. Needless to say, there was sticker shock when I moved to LA.
  • Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG we are on the same boat Meli! We both live with our parents and are thinking of renting an appt. by the time we save for a house. Originally we were going to move out to Rancho Cucamonga since the rent is a bit cheaper but then we would both travel a little for work. So it doesnt really make any sense! So now we are looking for something not too far from Brea (fi's work) and City of Industry (my work) but yeah rent is like 1,100 for a 2 bedroom and plus like $50 for pets! we have two little ones. So tough!We are thinking of finding something a month ahead so that we can settle in by the wedding day. But who knows, I just really hope we find something cheaper, but like you said I think we are being a bit picky and by saying "we" I mean you and I haha. Because I bet fi's don't care. Hope we find something, we gotta have faith! GL to all of us!
  • edited December 2011
    Right now we both still live with our parents. To complicate matters further we are both living in different states.I we are planning to live together after the wedding and we have already started scouting out places.  The real estate market where I will be moving is a bit more sleepy than in Los Angeles so prices aren't as high.  We have prequalified for a loan, but we would like to wait for more documentation from his work a two year W-2 so we can secure a better rate. There are a couple of houses we have visited and I regularly have our realtor looking into things for me with updates.There is a house we both really liked but since I was taking classes this semester we decided to hold off until I am done in December.  Once he gets his W-2 we will try to get more prequalifications and then make an offer on one of the houses we saw.  I am probably not coming back to LA until the final paper work is signed.Right now I am in the process of getting rid of things.  Books we both have and don't need two copies of.  Stuff that I do have shipped is sent to his parents house, but since I don't have alot of stuff most of it stays in their basement and will be moved out of there once we have secured housing.I am thinking of getting alot of stuff moved this winter out there(moving rates are cut in half in the winter so that is a good time to move).
  • Soon2B Mrs.VSoon2B Mrs.V member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH and I didn't live together before the wedding, and we bought a house a few months before the wedding. He moved in right after the honeymoon.
  • edited December 2011
    Meli,Hope you've had luck finding a place.My fiance and I don't live together.  We will be moving in after the wedding, and from what I'm hearing, we should start looking 3 months or so before the wedding.  Rent is ridiculous.  I sooo wish we could buy a house because at this point where the economy is buying is soo much better and you'd be paying the same amount for your mortgage as you would for rent.Good luck girly!you're only a month or so away from your big day! yay!!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards