Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Florist-no contract?

I am using a florist south of the Twin Cities. I asked her to mail me the contract and she basically told me there isn't one. She sent me all the info on the flowers I'm getting, but  I haven't signed anything...Should I be worried?

Re: Florist-no contract?

• edited December 2011
    This is the e-mail she sent me:what are looking for, I could send you a copy of the order, but it may be hard to understand from my notes and basic floral shorthand.   your bouquet is clutch of Vogue roses,pink sray roses,white alstro,white and purple stock and stephanotis with pearl centers and greens.   Your 4 bridesmaids have a presentation type bouquet with 3 vogue roses 1 white and 1 purple stem of stock and greens.   Your boutonnieres are made from the same pink roses, the groom has the steph added, groomsmen have a touch of purple, ushers have a touch of white.   Moms corsages are pink roses with the steph, grandma has a pink rose and white alstro, the other helpers have white alstro.   You have a dozen pink and white roses for a memorial arr.   Hope this is what you want.   Michelle
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh...yeah. I would want a contract. Because basically, without one, she can just as easily not show up on your day and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it. If she really wants your business, and if she is professional at all in any way, she should be able to provide a contract.
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe it is just me, and I am used to communicating in a professional way over email, but that email just is really vague.  How are you supposed to know what the flowers are like?  Can she provide some pictures?  I think a contract of some sort is necessary-even if you create it...
  • LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree about getting a contract, just so you aren't left high and dry on your wedding day. This can't be the first time she's been asked this question (unless she's totally new to the business).
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    I am using a florist in southeastern Minnesota.  Every single florist I talked to was greatly confused by the whole contract thing.  None of them had ever heard of a contract much less used one. So, no contract for me.  Maybe it's a smaller town thing, but I have no doubts that my flowers will get there the day of.  I trust my florists judgement so I'm not worried about what the flowers will look like. HTH!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! Maybe I'll write something up. Then I will feel better about the whole thing! ( I was nervous to go with this florist after our initial consultation...I had my potty-training 3-yr-old son with me. We were in the bathroom 3x w/in the first 5 minutes of the appt! And he ended up pooping his pants and then plugging their toilet!!! I was mortified. But, I liked the florist and her flowers, and her prices so we decided to go with her)
  • AimothyAimothy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a contract for my flowers, either...but I'm getting married in a small town. She does flowers out of her house as a side business. She wrote our order down in her notepad, and I trust that she'll follow through. If she doesn't, I'll have my dad arrest her. As you can see, I'm not too worried. If you are still concerned, I would ask her what her policies are for emergencies, deposits, etc. I would just keep the emails that she sends (however professional/vague they may be) so that you have proof of what you've talked about.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty surprised that some of you haven't done contracts. I wouldn't care if I were in like Timbuktu! I would be concerned about covering my own arse and wedding day regardless of how formally or informally these people run their business.mart1268, if you are concerned (which it seems you are) definitely write something up that you would both need to sign and both get copies of. It should include everything you ordered (types of flowers, arrangements, quantity), how they are being delivered/picked up, some language regarding emergencies/refunds, the price you agreed upon (including deposits), when the balance is due, contact info for both parties...and I'm sure I'm missing something!
  • NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would never book a vendor without a contract.  You should probably look for a new florist.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A close friend is doing my flowers, so contract either. However, you can always write your own. Just put down everything that you've talked about and want flower-wise, dates, and prices. Then have both parties sign it. It sounds like she just doesn't have a formal one drafted already, but would probably be okay if you presented her with one.
  • flower_loverflower_lover member
    edited December 2011
    I would never book a vendor without a contract either. If they require a deposit, without a contract they can walk away with your money and you have zero recourse. If they don't require a deposit, they could simply not show up on your wedding day at all, or could show up with a box of rocks and say that's what you asked for.Even if it was a friend I'd sign a contract. Some people are frightened by that language, so you could always ask if you can write up a list of what she agreed to provide and what the price is, and ask her to sign in so that "we're both on the same page and there are no misunderstandings as to what I'm asking for and what the price is". In addition, though, I'd also include what happens if for some reason she cannot fulfill her promise and do your flowers that day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards