Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Gaaa!

It has finally happened to me.  My MIL friended me on facebook.  I don't know what to do about this, because ignoring her is not an option.  She'll call me out for sure!  I don't really do much on FB but it still sucks.
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gaaa!

• pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    heheheSorry, just had to laugh!  Did she try to put a relationship status, too?  Is your DH friends with her or isn't he on Facebook?It's weird... DH has a strange aunt who friended me on facebook.  I guess she's also friends with DH's siblings SO's, but DH and his siblings won't add her! Haha
  • edited December 2011
    DH is on FB, but I can guarantee this will cause him to cancel his account.  He only went on because I wanted to link to him as my husband, he's just not into it.  MIL is retired and enjoys the Internet so I should have seen this coming.I've had a lot of long-lost relatives such as my dad's cousins friend me lately.  It seems to be catching on with an older demographic.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sure does.  Pretty soon we'll just have family reunions on Facebook!
  • edited December 2011
    LOL. Just do it! It'll be nice to have if you want to post pics of family stuff (especially once you get KU). It's less trouble to accept than to ignore. On a realted issue-- I just had to go into E's FB (with his permission) to accept most of my family that had requested him months ago. They were just sitting in there. He does nothing on FB, so he never notices the requests. He even had some of his closest friends from childhood sitting there (so I got those too). I bet these people think he's such an @ss.
  • dvanskydvansky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both my FMIL and FFIL are on facebook. Not to mention my own father. Lets just say I went and cleaned up the photos that were on there REAL quick!
  • edited December 2011
    You're right N, it's easier to accept her.  And it's not like I have wild and crazy pictures posted that I wouldn't want her to see! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Just this past weekend, FI showed me that his mama requested him... it's just a matter of time.  Hopefully a long time.
  • edited December 2011
    After I read your first sentence I figured it was either work blocking the knot or something with FB. Sorry it has happened, but I agree that just accepting is easiest, esp. since you don't do much on FB anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    You can friend her and then block her from seeing certain things if you want.  Luckily - my MIL is computer illiterate, so I don't have this fear. :)
  • edited December 2011
    My parents added me on facebook when I was still living at home. Their requests sat there for about 3 months until after I had moved out and moved to another state :p I know they just like keeping up with me and seeing my pictures, so I really don't mind, but while I was living at home that was just too much!I'm also friends with a bunch of my aunts and uncles.  Luckily FIL and MIL are not very computer savvy, so I shouldn't be seeing their requests anytime soon :)
  • edited December 2011
    my FMIL in obsessed with FB! Its so bad! She's constantly creeping on everyone's pages. And she's only friends with like 10 people- so I can only imagine how many of my wall posts she's read... too weird Thank Goodness for Limited Profile.
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh I'm waiting for the day my FMIL gets a facebook account.  I use FB to tear her apart on most days...so that request will get denied REAL FAST.  She lives 10 doors down...I really don't need her stalking my FB too!!! GRR
  • lildiva1977lildiva1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am friends with my cousins on FB and that can be hard sometimes...when I got laid off, I said something about it, my cousin called her mom who called my mom...weird!!!
  • edited December 2011
    If you really don't want her on the friends list, I'd just explain that you'd like to keep some level of privacy or identity for yourself without her (or other relatives) a part of it.  My DH also doesn't care about facebook and doesn't have an account.  If you do add her and still want to limit things she sees you can always do custom privacy settings for only her.My aunts friended me (I'm sure pigs will fly before my mom gets an account) and the number of app requests went from less than 5 to 60 in a week lol.  I think the "older" crowd likes the bling and games on facebook, but I really do like being able to chat with them.
  • New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MIL's friend request has been in "inbox rot" for over a year - I don't want to hit ignore, just so that I can always protest that I never actually hit the button :DI decided it was no big deal for my own mom to "friend" me - we see my fam once or twice a year, and she just wants to see pictures and stuff. And I think that she likes seeing when people write on my wall, jsut so she kinkows I actually have friends here, lol. Anyhow, if you don't like your MIL and don't want her looking at every photo and every status update, I'd create a privacy setting just for her. For my co-workers, I let them see everything, but set it so that they don't get anything about me in the news feed. That way, I'm not actively blocking them, but they don't need to know if I'm having a rough day or hungover :P
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Accept her and set her on individual privacy settings based on how much you want her to see- it can be everything or pretty much nothing, and she'll probably never know the difference :)  I'm friends with my parents and FI's parents as well as most of FI's huuuuuuuge extended family, and I actually really like- I get to see updated pics of their little ones and they can keep up with us since we've living so far away.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • SteelrsGrl92SteelrsGrl92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do the whole block the certain things.....that's one thing I like about fb

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't want to befriend my MIL, but I had too, because my mom finally signed on and asked to be friends. I immediately reset all of their privacy settings. The only thing that they can see is my information (because you can't set that any differently) and my pictures. They can't see anything else (including my status) or post anything on my wall. Phew. Thank goodness for privacy settings because I didn't want to really deal with either of them on there.
  • McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm friends with FIL on FB...DH is not, haha.  You can give her a limited profile too!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone, I didn't realize I could change the settings at the individual person level. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards