Connecticut

Reccomend your... BANK

Fi and I are going to set up a joint checking account, but really don't know where to go! We want something that is completely free- no one likes bank fees! We are in the Manchester area if that helps! Thanks

Re: Reccomend your... BANK

• dpantaleonidpantaleoni member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I use Webster and I even get the ATM fees back on my checking account.
  • edited December 2011
    Try to find a credit union if you can (you fi is a cop right? They might have one) I love my credit union but it's up in Windsor Locks & Enfield so not really convenient for you. Other than that I would just suggest not Bank of America. No one I know has had good experiences with them (myself included).
    Pregnancy Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to say Webster too.  Not sure if they're in Manchester though.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • PrincessLea84PrincessLea84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely Liberty Bank, they have amazing products for checking accounts - check out their website but just not sure if they are in the Manchester area...
  • KeriLynn8680KeriLynn8680 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm from the Manchester area and have been a member at the American Eagle Federal Credit Union since high school. They used to have restrictions on who could open accounts, but now they don't. It's on Broad Street just past the Wendy's. My entire family has checking, savings and credit cards thru them and we love them. www.americaneagle.org is their site.
  • edited December 2011
    I am very glad to see the suggestion of Webster....I work at Webster :)But seriously, if I didn't work there I would still bank there. There are 2 branches in Manchester. 320 Middle Turnpike West 1041 Main StLet me know if you need more info on accts. I dont work in a branch so I am not looking for a "sale" but can give you some info on fees and such.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to say something negative but FI and I absolutely HAAAATE Webster Bank! We were both using it and are so sick of all the ATM fees. Plus he had been laid off for several months so of course the overdraft fees are ridiculous. He had an account set up with Fidelity, and has zero fees for anything.. ATM's or overdraft fees. Plus it's a free checking account and we linked it to our 401k investment portfolio and our savings account. I recently just joined his account and we are saying goodbye with much enthusiasm to Webster. Webster has been nothing but headaches. I love being able to use any ATM now and not worrying about any fees. That's my money! Haha.. My parents use Bank of America and love their program where they round up to the next dollar on each debit card purchase and put that into your savings account. So does my brother and they've all had good things to say about that bank as well. I also have several friends who rave about BOA, so if you're looking for a local bank I would look into them as well. HTH!
  • dpantaleonidpantaleoni member
    edited December 2011
    That's so strange b/c the free checking I have with Webster actually refunds me all the ATM fees I incur from other ATMs.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you only get the ATM fees reversed with Webster if you use their Premier Checking. What I hated about using another ATM with Webster was I would not only get charged the ATM fee of whatever bank I was using but then Webster would charge me one as well. It was ridiculous! They're a small regional bank so they need to make their money any way they can.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes ATM fees are reversed if you have Premier checking(which has minimum balance req) Most banks charge fees for using a different banks ATM, BOA and Wachovia is $2.00, Webster is $1.75, Credit Unions vary. It all comes down to what is better for you....if you are closer to one particular bank, then go with them. Pretty much all banks have similar products and fees, it's all in how you use/will use the acct. peridoticparadox - If you are interested in more info, let me know, I can explain the accts, holds, and fees associated.
  • edited December 2011
    sorry about the bold and underlining....
  • edited December 2011
    I have used various banks over the years and have had the best luck with BOA. Fantastic service, atms on every corner (and on the NY throughway, etc etc). I have NOT had to deal with any fees personally as I never overdraft and rarely if ever use a foreign atm (I did last week in a jam and paid $2. life goes on, I rarely use the atm). FI and I are opening a second joint account at Sovereign bank, not sure how he decided on that but I think it has to do with interest rates.
  • carrie1978carrie1978 member
    edited December 2011
    Erica, I work at Webster too!!!  I am not in a branch either.  
  • edited December 2011
    Carrie - where do you work? I am in Wallingford
  • carrie1978carrie1978 member
    edited December 2011
    Erica, I am in New Britain.
  • jenni2349jenni2349 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Citizens. Very nice for any type of question, but I hardly ever have any. Staff at bank always nice. And I love the fact that I only receive my monthly bank statement. No extra mailings of any type...special offers and garbage like that. I can't stand the extra junk mail.
  • edited December 2011
    I HATE Citizen's tons of non available fees!! aCCOUNT FEES atm FEES! I'm not talking NSF they have there computers rearrange all your debits to they can charge you the most they can, had 177 in fees for five items under $20!! They will not refund them even if you ask or have a good excuse. I can't wait to get a new bank.
  • edited December 2011
    I have sovereign bank and I've had no problems with them but I don't think its a large bank but I like them. One thing though is I hate!!! TD bank fyi so steer clear. Charged me 3 overdraft fees even though the money was there. They did redund it all but were very rude about it, even though it WAS there fault.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards