North Carolina-Outer Banks

Ceremony time for May 2013 oceanfront wedding

Any other May brides out there have any suggestions as far as what time a beach wedding ceremony should be at? The sun sets at 8:05pm on my wedding date (May 20, 2013).

The ceremony will be on the beach outside of our oceanfront rental. The reception will be back at the rental home. I was thinking maybe 5-5:30pm for the ceremony and then pictures afterwards maybe from 6-7pm (while a cocktail hour is going on) and then reception will start around 7pm or so. Does this sound about right? I emailed my photographer about this and am just waiting to hear back from him but would like some feedback from other May brides as well who may have had a similar wedding timeline or other brides who are in the process of planning.

Re: Ceremony time for May 2013 oceanfront wedding

• ACJD714ACJD714 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I'm getting married in July on the beach in Duck and someone suggested for me to check out the tide schedules for that day! The tide can make a difference on the size of the beach at different times of the day! I thought it was a good idea to check it out and the time we chose 4pm is during low tide! You can google tide charts and they list the exact tides for each day! 

As a side note I saw a video on your tube of an OBX wedding where the tide came in as the couple were getting married! They went on with the ceremony even with their wet feet!

Hope you have a great wedding!
  • We are getting married in Corolla on the beach May 26. Our ceremony time is 6pm (which both the minister and photographer said would be a perfect time). We will have a short ceremony, and then cocktails starting at 6:30 while we take pictures. And yes, defintely check the tides! http://www.twiddy.com/tide-charts.aspx 

• We had our September wedding at 6:30 pm, cocktail hour from 7-8 and dinner starting at 8. By 8, it was pretty dark. I'd caution against having longer than an hour for cocktail hour/pictures.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We started our May 2012 wedding at 4pm.  We had to have everything shut down by 11pm due to noise ordanice, so we wanted to start as early as possible so we did not feel rushed.  I would look into tide schedule, but also check the local noise ordanice (your rental company should be able to tell you), and go from there.  Our friends and family are ones who hang out as long as possible, so we wanted to have optimal time so spend with everyone.  
  • My photographer suggested a 5pm ceremony for my May 18, 2013 wedding. I aso suggest checking out the tide schedule. My cousin got married in OBX a few years ago in September and the very elderly preacher got wet when the tide came in! We were worried he was going to fall over at one point!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_ceremony-time-for-may-2013-oceanfront-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:5e0870f9-368b-4f80-a113-9c1d44a6f9f7Post:622a9740-4e46-4038-9275-de8eaecf14f5">Re: Ceremony time for May 2013 oceanfront wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My photographer suggested a 5pm ceremony for my May 18, 2013 wedding. I aso suggest checking out the tide schedule. My cousin got married in OBX a few years ago in September and the very elderly preacher got wet when the tide came in! We were worried he was going to fall over at one point!
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

Interesting! I am so worried we aren't going to have enough time because my photographer suggested 6pm for ceremony time and said 7:30 would be the optimal time for pictures and sunset is at 8:05pm. Where is your wedding at, btw? Since our dates are so close!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_ceremony-time-for-may-2013-oceanfront-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:5e0870f9-368b-4f80-a113-9c1d44a6f9f7Post:ca34ba33-062c-4aab-ac80-a4505954cc87">Re: Ceremony time for May 2013 oceanfront wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are getting married in Corolla on the beach May 26. Our ceremony time is 6pm (which both the minister and photographer said would be a perfect time). We will have a short ceremony, and then cocktails starting at 6:30 while we take pictures. And yes, defintely check the tides! <a href="http://www.twiddy.com/tide-charts.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://www.twiddy.com/tide-charts.aspx</a>  
    Posted by Springdaisy5[/QUOTE]
    Okay, this makes me feel a little bit better. My photographer suggested 6pm as well and said that 7:30 is the optimal time for pictures. But our timeline will be the same as yours. Cocktail hour at 6:30 while we take pictures. I checked out the tides and it won't be high tide until after 8pm, during the reception when we will all be back at the house. Where is your wedding at, since our dates are only a few days away? Are you going to the expo next weekend?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_ceremony-time-for-may-2013-oceanfront-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:5e0870f9-368b-4f80-a113-9c1d44a6f9f7Post:b5629d39-6bbc-48e6-87d3-451361d6e320">Re: Ceremony time for May 2013 oceanfront wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]We started our May 2012 wedding at 4pm.  We had to have everything shut down by 11pm due to noise ordanice, so we wanted to start as early as possible so we did not feel rushed.  I would look into tide schedule, but also check the local noise ordanice (your rental company should be able to tell you), and go from there.  Our friends and family are ones who hang out as long as possible, so we wanted to have optimal time so spend with everyone.  
    Posted by mandafite821[/QUOTE]

I checked the noise ordinance, it's 11pm. I'm worried about having enough time too! Do you think 6pm for a ceremony time is too late? I know the music has to go off at 11pm but I highly doubt the partying will end at 11pm. My family and friends are the same way.
  • ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Our wedding was over at 11 pm, and it was fine in terms of timeline. We didn't have a large group that wanted to dance, so it actually was good when it finished. In my years vacationing in the OBX though, there have been many times with groups of people sitting outside being loud, and nothing ever happened. If you have an oceanfront house, I don't think it'll be an issue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_ceremony-time-for-may-2013-oceanfront-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:5e0870f9-368b-4f80-a113-9c1d44a6f9f7Post:544690bd-0adc-4d0c-81c4-87eab8267076">Ceremony time for May 2013 oceanfront wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Any other May brides out there have any suggestions as far as what time a beach wedding ceremony should be at? The sun sets at 8:05pm on my wedding date (May 20, 2013). The ceremony will be on the beach outside of our oceanfront rental. The reception will be back at the rental home. I was thinking maybe 5-5:30pm for the ceremony and then pictures afterwards maybe from 6-7pm (while a cocktail hour is going on) and then reception will start around 7pm or so. Does this sound about right? I emailed my photographer about this and am just waiting to hear back from him but would like some feedback from other May brides as well who may have had a similar wedding timeline or other brides who are in the process of planning.
    Posted by missm810[/QUOTE]

We are getting married May 19 on the beach at the house we're renting in Duck.  Our plan is ceremony from ~5-5:30.  Dinner sometime between 5:30 and 6.  Then we plan to sneak away with the photographer and get some sunset pictures before coming back and doing the dance portion of reception. 

Does this time frame seem reasonable?  I've seen a few sunset pictures and really love that and want to find a way to do it. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_ceremony-time-for-may-2013-oceanfront-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:5e0870f9-368b-4f80-a113-9c1d44a6f9f7Post:05180650-fb64-46c8-880d-99d008fddb61">Re: Ceremony time for May 2013 oceanfront wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ceremony time for May 2013 oceanfront wedding : Interesting! I am so worried we aren't going to have enough time because my photographer suggested 6pm for ceremony time and said 7:30 would be the optimal time for pictures and sunset is at 8:05pm. Where is your wedding at, btw? Since our dates are so close!

<div>We're getting married at an event house (Skipper's Jewel) in Kill Devil Hills :)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_ceremony-time-for-may-2013-oceanfront-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:5e0870f9-368b-4f80-a113-9c1d44a6f9f7Post:4a90fdb5-8dab-46a5-b1c8-05dadcf90fec">Re: Ceremony time for May 2013 oceanfront wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ceremony time for May 2013 oceanfront wedding : Okay, this makes me feel a little bit better. My photographer suggested 6pm as well and said that 7:30 is the optimal time for pictures. But our timeline will be the same as yours. Cocktail hour at 6:30 while we take pictures. I checked out the tides and it won't be high tide until after 8pm, during the reception when we will all be back at the house. Where is your wedding at, since our dates are only a few days away? Are you going to the expo next weekend?

We are getting married at a the beach in front of aprivate home in Pine Island called Turtle Key, with a reception at the private home. I really wish I could make it to the Expo, but since I don't live there, I won't be able to make the trip down. Where are you getting married? 
  • missm810, 

A 6pm wedding would have been too late for our group, but like I said, we love to dance, which is why we went for a 4pm wedding.  We paid the DJ through 10pm, but the party was still going, so I paid him extra to stay through 11pm, which was when everything had to be shut down.  I think if you have a group who likes to party and dance, then I would bump it up to at least 5pm. You can always move the party inside after 11 if you want, it just wasn't an option for us because we had sleeping grandparents, parents, and nephews in the house...lol.  
  • We're getting married on  May 17th and our ceremony is at 5:30. We are taking some picutres beforehand, and then more during the cocktail hour (from 6-7pm). This is what our photographer recommended based on our timeline, and I want to have enough time to dance! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards