Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Am I Crazy?

I have one day to decide this...The DRC (Dallas Running Club) is having their 1/2 marathon race on November 1st.  Initially, a few months ago, I decided there's no way in hell I'd be able to run that far by the beginning of November...But after completing my first 10k 2 weeks ago, and then running 7.5 miles this past Saturday, I'm beginning to think I might be able to do it if I really put my mind to it.Am I crazy for thinking it's possible?  I've already signed up for the White Rock 1/2 Marathon in December...so this one would be a really good "training" for me on what to expect.I'm also about to sign up for the Turkey Trot 8 mile run (Thanksgiving).  Anyone interested in running it with me?

Re: Am I Crazy?

• edited December 2011
    I think that's awesome!  I wish I was a decent runner.   I'll run with you in spirit!  :)
    I like dogs, but not to eat
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• edited December 2011
    No you aren't crazy...all you can do is try and give it your all!!  I think it would be great :)
  • edited December 2011
    Oh you can totally do it! If you're already up to 7.5 miles, you should be able to add at least a mile weekly and you're fine! If you can get up to 10 miles by the week before, the adrenaline of the half will take you the rest of the 3.1 miles the day of.
  • edited December 2011
    That's what I was thinking, too! So I just bit the bullet and signed up!  I signed up for the 1/2 and also the 8 mile Turkey Trot!  I'm so excited!
  • DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck Mariah!  There's no motivation like actually signing up for the event :)
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I think it will be fine.  I wouldn't do another long run like that after the DRC though - I'd take the last 4 weeks and let my body gear up for the half - When I trained last year, I did an 11 miler on my birthday (Nov. 15th) and then didn't do anything longer than 6 until the half. 
  • edited December 2011
    I bet you can do it--at last resort you walk a little and still finish...I'm considering doing the 5k Turkey Trot, but I'm worried about Thanksgiving logistics
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • edited December 2011
    Marissa, I'm concerned about logistics, too.  Considering riding the Dart.
  • edited December 2011
    Man...  now you guys have me considering signing up for the Turkey Trot 5K.  A friend of mine just did her first triathlon..  I'd love to try the 5K... and Thanksgiving would give me enough time to prep.Hmmmm... I may do it!
    I like dogs, but not to eat
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are crazy but in a good way! I know you can do it and you know you can do it so get er done! :p
  • edited December 2011
    No, not crazy at all!!! Go for it!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, parking, and the fact that guests should be arriving around noonish...hmmm
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • edited December 2011
    Mariah - you're not crazy... You're a runner! :) Turket Trot - I'm not a fan at all. It is super busy/packed and the regulations about families (i.e. strollers) are terrible. They're every where!!! I did the one in Ft. Worth & in Dallas and I'm not doing them anymore. It is crazy busy.
  • edited December 2011
    Ooh wow... I talked to FI about doing the 5K with me and he was up for it....if it is really busy though maybe we shouldn't.
  • mscheese424mscheese424 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mariah You can easily do the 1/2 I agree I can't remember who said it but if you get to ten before the race you will be fine.  But I am telling you after you do the half you will want to do a full.  That is what happened to me and now I can't stop.  half are more enjoyable and I like to go to different places to run them.  I may either do the half or relay at white rock.  The white rock is where I did my first 1/2 its a good run!  Where is the 8 mile turkey trot I have only seen 5 or 10k's? If you haven't noticed I am very excited for you I love fellow runners!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement!MsCheese, I'm thinking I'll probably be wanting to run a full, too...It scares me to think about running a full marathon right now-but when I ran my first 5k, I was like "hey, if I can do this, I can do a 10k!" and then when I completed my first 10k, I was thought, "If I can do this, I can do a 1/2"!  So I know I'll probably try for the full...I just don't know when.  I'd need someone to help me train though. 
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could do a sprint too but not run that long. Mariah, I definitely think you could do it and I'm sorry your running partner is being such a dork lately. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards