Michigan-Detroit

Borrowing Traditions

How do you feel about people using traditions from other cultures that they are not a part of?Reason I ask: I find the symbolism and history of mehndi fascinating and the artwork itself is beautiful. Would it be offensive for me to include this tradition in my wedding festivities?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Borrowing Traditions

• edited December 2011
    This is a toughie. Speaking from a different cultural experience, I've seen some Mexican stuff borrowed and it didn't offend me because it seemed like the couple knew the meaning behind it (which they've done by including an explanation of the tradition in programs, and why they're doing it).  It seems like you have a true appreciation and respect for the tradition. However, it may be best to get a cultural weigh-in -- maybe visit the Southeast Asia board and ask?
  • tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that as long as you understand what mehndi means and you use it respectfully, it would be okay.  When people ask you about it, you'll be able to explain the artwork.  Of course you already appear to know the meaning and what not.  Some people might think that you shouldn't wear it, but if the symbolism is important to you that's what matters.My friend and her husband (both white) went to a wedding (black couple) where the couple jumped the broom.  My friend's husband asked her what they were doing and why they didn't do that, lol.  This is the USA, we're supposed to be a big melting pot anyway.
  • mink492mink492 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I'd be offended. As a guest I might be confused. I'm Arabic & DH is black, we incorporated traditions from each side & people loved it, but I'm not sure about borrowed traditions. hmmm Maybe if you had some sort of explanation somewhere?
  • tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like what pp said about asking SE Asia board and a note in the programs.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. That's a good idea to ask the SE Asia board. I will do that. And I will add something in the program too.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't be offended. I'd probably wonder if you were somewhat Indian or he was...or had relatives..or something. But if you like it, hey why not?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards