Massachusetts-Boston

NWR: Writing jobs in Boston Area?

As I've mentioned before, my fiance and I live in different states (poo)--he is just starting his surgery residency in Providence; I work as a book editor in NYC. I have a lot of writing experience, and am thinking about moving further into that field. (My other option is to change fields altogether and get my Master's in Social Work.)I know I don't want to do newspaper work--I am really looking for magazine or online editorial work. I also know I don't want anything too medical/technical/business trade-oriented. It seems that everything interesting (to me, ha) is here in Manhattan, though--with the exception of Boston Magazine. Does anyone know of any other lifestyle magazines/websites that are based in Boston? I am sure I'm missing some, though I've been looking.I've also been looking in Providence, but the only lifestyle mag there appears to be Rhode Island Monthly.I may just have to look further into social work--might be for the best!Thanks in advance!

Re: NWR: Writing jobs in Boston Area?

• edited December 2011
    I don't know a lot about the field, but did you check out the Improper Bostonian?
  • edited December 2011
    Oh yes, that is on my list--thanks for the reminder!
  • hapark11hapark11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you looking to get out of the publishing industry altogether?
  • edited December 2011
    My brother (and 99% of my friends) work at Boston Magazine - I could check with him if there are any open positions. It's an... interesting... place to work.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey! I'm thinking maybe/yes--not sure. If I could get a great position in trade editorial, I might stay--but so hard to come by! How is B&N management working out (you're there, right)?
  • hapark11hapark11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want, send me an email at hapark11 at hotmail.  I don't like to get into too much on these boards :)   
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know much about the industry, either, but what about Stuff Magazine?  They cover nightlife and trends in Boston.  I thought of them because my FI's friend is a photographer who sometimes have his picture printed there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion (Stuff)!
  • jamidandedbjamidandedb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work for a B2B publishing company and I think the only thing that might interest you would be Variety/Daily Variety (but the jobs we have posted are in LA though...doesn't help you).  I'll try to keep my eyes open if anything else opens up here, but it might not (majority of our company is up for sale, with the exception of Variety and our construction pubs). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! Didn't realize Variety had a Boston locale--that would definitely be interesting; I'll keep my eyes open, thanks. Do you have editorial offices in Bos?
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know anything about the writing world, but you might consider some of the university publications as well--magazine work, but not really lifestyle, so I don't know if that fits the bill (maybe too technical?). Technology Review (MIT) is pretty widely distributed, and Harvard has some publications as well I'm sure, though I couldn't tell you about them. I don't know if that's up your alley, but I love my Tech Review. :)
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you!
  • edited December 2011
    What about working as a copywriter? You can freelance or work in an agency or marketing department. It pays a LOT better than writing magazine articles. You can check out "The Well-fed Writer" by Peter Bowerman if you want more info.
  • edited December 2011
    there's also a women's lifestyle mag Lola, but I'm not sure how much editorial content it has.
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey! Lola looks perfect--and didn't know about it, thanks so much! Will definitely put on the list.I've done a bit of freelance copywriting--thanks for the idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards