Massachusetts-Boston

Tasting...... Shouldn't I taste everything?

We have almost finalized everything (yeah!) but our caterer says we can only taste the salad and entree at the tasting. Is this normal?

Re: Tasting...... Shouldn't I taste everything?

• edited December 2011
    we tasted the soup, salad, entree, and dessert, but not the passed apps....which are my favorite part, I wish we could have!
  • edited December 2011
    We haven't had our tasting yet but when we do we'll be tasting the soup or salad and entree options. I wish we could taste the passed apps but apparently they don't do that  :( 
  • edited December 2011
    I know exactly what you mean.  And most venues don't let you taste the hors d'oeuvres even though those are the best part (unless you have a big group tasting).However, many venues just use frozen hors d'oeuvres and they tend to be pretty basic.  I know this b/c FI works for a large fancy hotel and they do it even there, so I figure they do it everywhere.
    10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
    image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!
  • edited December 2011
    When we went for our tasting, we were told that most people have the wrong idea of what a tasting is supposed to be like - that you are not supposed to expect to try everything you plan on having on your menu.  It's really just for the clients to get an idea of the quality and standard of their food, and to feel more at ease and trust them that they'll do a good job on the actual day.  BUT, we did get to try the appetizers, salad, entrees and also cake, at the 2 tastings we went to.  We are planning to change some things but we won't be able to actually taste the new things we want to change to. HTH.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I tasted everything. Passed and stationed hor d'eovres and each station item. DH and I went home with 7 large take-out containers for the food.
  • edited December 2011
    We tried everything, from hot passed hors d'oeuvres straight through the entrees (cake tasting was through a separate vendor). Our food is all prepared fresh on-site. Even if it weren't (if the hors d'oeuvres were frozen) I'd have wanted to taste them. I think the argument that you're only having a tasting to ascertain quality doesn't really wash; really, what is your recourse if you're not satisfied with the quality? You've already paid at least a deposit, so your options to move to a caterer that offers a better quality are limited. Chances are, a fish entree and a chicken entree offered at the same venue are going to be of more or less the same quality-- it's going to be the preparation that determines preference. I selected my reception venue based on what I knew of their food quality going in, then used my tasting to determine my preferences among menu items. Ideally, a tasting will be conducted far enough in advance to inform your menu selection. For example, we were underwhelmed by our beef satay skewer appetizer and elected to go with a delicious lobster fritter (tried at our tasting) instead. The satay was of GOOD quality, we just liked the lobster fritter better. We knew we wanted lobster bisque, but also tried the NE clam chowder just to be sure. I'd ask to try more than one option from each course so that you can make an informed menu decision. The worst they can do is say no.
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    We tasted passed apps (best part!), entrees, and desserts
  • desistoldesistol member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also tasted the soup, salad, entree, and dessert, but not the passed apps.Also didn't taste the stations.We did get to try wines and champagne too :-)
  • cazzysmithcazzysmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We tasted each potential entree and each potential salad.  We got to try a soup but only one, and there were 4 to choose from, which totally disappointed me.  Went back on another day that they were serving one of the other soups as a special in the restaurant, though.  We're going with that one - Butternut Apple Bisque!We're not doing hors d'oeurves besides cheese/crackers/fruit/crudites and we're not having a dessert besides the wedding cake (included) which we did a separate tasting for (YUM).
  • edited December 2011
    We tried the salads and entree's, but not the passed apps.  It sounds like its different depending on your venue. I was not happy that we couldn't try the apps.  We also were only able to try two different types of salad and three different entrees (there were many more than two and three to choose from).  So it definitely stinks, but i guess i just have to trust that the food will be good and that we made the right decisions.
  • jamidandedbjamidandedb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly - I tried minimal amount of food at our tasting.  I have celiac and there wasn't much I could eat at the tasting since it wasn't a private tasting.  I went on MH and my parents recommendations.  But if I was able to taste everything...I probably would only have what looked appetizing to me or what I would have wanted at the wedding. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    We tasted everything at my daughter's tasting last year. But it was a group tasting. Everything they offered from their menu was at the tasting from stationary hors d'ouerves, passed, soup, salad, every entree... as well as an ice cream bar, candy station, viennese dessert table and wedding cakes... it was amazing. (also included alcohol) it wasn't free for the bride & groom though.. it was $40 pp. But worth it. having said all that, the tasting for another daughter's wedding in June is a private tasting. It's free for the bride and groom and $40 pp for anyone else. We will each order a different soup/salad/ entree. But there are more then 4 entrees offered. Some we wouldn't consider..... we'll order 1 fish, 1 chicken, 1 beef, then maybe a combo... we pretty much know what we are going offer for meal choices anyway..
  • edited December 2011
    sboston, which venue did your FI work for?  I'd imagine that serving frozen apps at the tasting would be very easy, yet most venues don't do it.  I would've loved to sample the passed HDs, but my venue only allowed an assortment of soups, plated app and entrees.  Turns out that the passed HDs and action stations were a million times tastier than the entrees.
  • edited December 2011
    We tasted everything: salad, bread, two different entrees, 3 of 5 apps, cake. It was awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    We tasted everything too, passed apps and food for the stations. Since we hadn't decided on what pastas to do for the pasta bar yet, the chef cooked up a bunch of options right there on the table for us to try and choose. It was way more than I expected (Aramark is catering, and they are a corporate giant) - but we were really happy with everything! Well, not how long it took to GET the tasting... but that wasn't the caterers fault...
  • edited December 2011
    We had ours at a restaurant so we got to taste everything but the cake since they don't normally make cakes until day of.
  • MDalto421MDalto421 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our tasting was buffet style, so we got to try a little bit of everything
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards