Virginia-Richmond

Wedding Venues sooo many restrictions HELP!

I already know which cater I want to use because I work as a Program Assistant. So I really really really trust the cater I want to use. I absolutely refuse to have my wedding at any place that tries to force me to use their catering services instead of who I want. Most venues seem to have a 4-5 hour time limit on receptions. I would really like to party way into the night and have the option of it going to 2am. I am going to pay thousands of dollars to get married so I don't want it to be over so fast. I haven't found a single place that is accommodating to this!It would be nice if it had rooms to rent on site. I have about a dozen little children coming to the wedding and I would like to rent a room for them to basically have a sleep over together. I want to hire a sitter and just give the option for the parents to drop this kids off to go to bed when they get tired and come back to the party. The place I talked to today said I had to hire a professional sitter. And that the kids couldn't sleep in one room together without their parents or with a relative because of liability issues. So I need somewhere where they aren't as worried over children sleeping. I want to get married outside but I'd like the place to be big enough to have the reception inside. I'm nervous about tents without a solid ground because one wedding I went to had so much mud (it rained) the tables sank.  We are thinking we are going to have between 150-200 guests. HELP please! Suggestions welcome!

Re: Wedding Venues sooo many restrictions HELP!

• edited December 2011
    I don't know of anywhere that will go til 2am.  Maybe you should consider an afterparty for the smaller number that will party that late.  In my experience, most folks will fade before then.  Professional sitters will run you 15.00 an hour per 3 to 4 children.  I work for a service:  rivercitysitters dot com.  We are background checked so we cost more!  I did a wedding where parents brought portable cribs and sleeping bags, but the parents picked them up by 1am.  The whole night would be impossible in a group or room setting like that because the sitter would not be able to sleep!  You may have to reconsider and have a no kids wedding if you are wanting to party that hard!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    The only place that came to mind for me... was Winterham Plantation.  I am sure that there may be others though.I am not sure where you are located at either bc this out there.  Its outdoors, but it has tents with a floor inside.  Though I would be worried about numbers.  I went to a wedding there where it did rain and not everyone could fit under it.  I hate not having a seat at a wedding, but the seperate tent set up was full of mud.Though it does have the house that you rent too so that people can stay right there.  Just a thought.  Others might have more suggestions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having kids at the wedding. Thats not changing. One of them is my ring bearer. I got the idea for the sitter/sleep over situation because thats basically what Robin's family does for their family reunions. I'm sure its not impossible to arrange. And personally I don't care if its a professional service or not. I have a friend's sister that is willing to sit for us. I really don't see the point in waking up a bunch of sleepy kids at 1am to go to another room just to go to sleep again. Maybe I just need to not tell the venue that the children will be sleeping together :P I'd always have an adult in the room with them and its our family not random children, so I'm not worried about parent's being insane or something. Thanks for the venue suggestion, I'll be sure to check it out. More suggestions welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    Check out some of the galleries around town.  When I was looking at reception venues, they were the most accommodating in terms of length of rental, use, etc.  They are used to late night parties!Try ArtWorks, Gallery5, and Plant Zero for starters.  All would be large enough for your party, and some can probably do both wedding and reception if you're creating.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Get in touch with Mankin Mansion... it is Richmond city limits. Beautiful site, tent with a a patio underneath, outside ceremony and reception, rooms on site, and pretty much unlimited time frame when you rent it for the weekend. no restrictions on catering I am getting married there next october and am so excited!
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to Mankin Mansion. It IS beautiful. However, the party is over by 11pm- the close the house down at 10 for clean up. They are the ones that won't allow the children to have a sleep over.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that you will probably run into the same problem with most venues in the area.  We ended up having an "after party' at Black Finn downtown after the wedding because we ran into the same issue- we wanted to stay out having fun with our guests until 2 am.  It worked out really well and I am so glad I did it.  YOu can rent out the private room for $300 but that is actually a food and beverage minimum.  So we just spent all the money upfront and had $300 worth of beer sitting on the tables in buckets when the guests arrived.  IT worked out really well b/c we had a realyl nice private room which they decorated nicely, that had places where you could sit, but you could also hear the music so people were dancing in the room.  They could order food if they needed a late night snack and you could still mingle in the main area where there was a DJ and dance all night.  I would definitly recomend it as an option if you can't find a place that stays open late.As for the sitter, I think that is a really nice thing to offer your guests.  But it may be tough too because people can be very particular about who they leave their kids with, and if they don't know the sitter they might not use them.  Do you think the parents coming to your wedding would have that problem?
  • edited December 2011
    Winterham Plantation has been willing to work with us on all our requirements. My main concern with choosing that venue is well there is a remarkable view there is very little foreground for pictures. The setup at Mankin Masion allows different options for lighting for photos... and I'd like something like that. I'd say Winterham is in the lead right now. If I could think of things to "dress up" the foreground it may work out fine. I'd still like to see more places though. As I've only visited three so far. As far as children go, they are the children of our family. not friend's children. I've already spoken to the parents and they are really excited about the idea of a sleep over for the kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards