Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Veggie recipes?

So, my husband goes back and forth every few years between being a vegetarian and not (he's Hindu, whole family is veg). Well, someone handed him a PETA packet last week and he decided to be a vegetarian again. I don't care, but he's the cook in the family and has always cooked with meat so now we are going the whole "what are we eating bit" at night that usually ends with beans and some sort of cheese. Anyone have any good vegetarian recipes? I'm also searching online, but figured you gals may have some good ones.

Re: NWR: Veggie recipes?

• Options
    Just vegetarian or vegan?
  • Options
    We love veggie stir fry and different types of Asian-inspired noodles.I have an excellent baked ziti recipe, but then, I think everyone does.Also, we LOVE this sandwich from the Pioneer Woman - totally filling and WAY addictive: [url]http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/10/pioneer_womans_favorite_sandwich/[/url]Also also, this red pepper pasta, also from PW, was the first thing I ever actually cooked correctly: [url]http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/03/pasta-with-roasted-red-pepper-sauce-groan/[/url]Actually, just check out her whole site, there's a lot of good veg stuff hiding in there.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    Vegetarian lasagna-there are a whole bunch of good recipes on foodnetwork for this.  Also, there are all sorts of meatless pastas that are delish. Quesadillas-beans and cheese plus peppers and onions and maybe some rice on the side.  
  • Options
    Thanks! Just vegetarian, not vegan. I should also say that we can do veggie lasagna and some other noodle dishes, but am trying to move beyond pasta.
  • Options
    There are so many good blogs out there.  Just google vegetarian blogs and browse through them.  One of my favorites is http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/Vegetarian Times is also a great recipe source. 
  • Options
    carrot sticks, ranch dip. there ya go.
  • Options
    Veggie Chili 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 cup chopped onions 3/4 cup chopped carrots 3 cloves garlic, minced 1 cup chopped green bell pepper 1 cup chopped red bell pepper 3/4 cup chopped celery 1 tablespoon chili powder 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions, carrots, and garlic until tender. Stir in green pepper, red pepper, celery, and chili powder. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, and cook 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, and corn. Season with cumin, oregano, and basil. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Veggie Paella 2 cups water 1 cup long grain rice, rinsed and drained vegetable oil 1 cup frozen corn and peas 1 cup frozen broccoli 1 cup sliced mushrooms 1 (12 ounce) package texturized vegetable protein (TVP) 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt 1/4 teaspoon paprika 1 pinch black pepper Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside. Heat oil in wok or deep frying pan over medium high heat. Cook frozen corn, peas, and broccoli until thawed. Stir in sliced mushrooms and veggie ground beef, and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once vegetables are tender and vegetable protein is browned, stir in garlic salt and paprika. Reduce heat to low, and cook another 3 minutes. Serve warm over rice. Tasty Pizza (no red ssauce) 2 tablespoons butter, melted 1 tablespoon olive oil 3 tablespoons minced garlic 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese 1 unbaked pizza crust 1 tomato, sliced 1 bunch fresh spinach, torn 1 sweet onion, sliced 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped 1 (6 ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled Preheat oven according to pizza crust package directions. In a small bowl combine butter, olive oil, garlic, pesto, basil, oregano and Parmesan cheese. Spread mixture evenly on pizza crust. Arrange tomato, spinach, onion and jalapeno on pizza. Top with crumbled feta cheese. Bake according to pizza crust package directions. Sweet Potato Burritos 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 onion, chopped 4 cloves garlic, minced 6 cups canned kidney beans, drained 2 cups water 3 tablespoons chili powder 2 teaspoons ground cumin 4 teaspoons prepared mustard 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste 3 tablespoons soy sauce 4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.
  • Options
    OOOO, Anna! Those sounds great. Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    Aside from pasta, I do a lot of veggie Mexican. Burritos, quesedillas.  Mostly cheese and whole black beans, some peppers.  Also love the soy crumbles from Morningstar Farms. I use them for enchiladas, tacos, burritos, chili.  One of my favorites: stuffed poblano peppers. It's a mild pepper. Cut them in half, remove seeds. Preheat oven to 400. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Lay pepper halves open side down, spray the tops of the peppers with spray. Bake for 15 mins. In the meantime make some brown rice (stovetop cook or I love the BirdsEye steam rice bags--4 mins in the microwave). Empty rice into a bowl, mix in a can of black beans (rinsed and drained), and some shredded cheese. (I like the Kraft Mexican blend...though there are 2 they market as "Mexican style"--I always get the one that has queso & asadero cheeses in it, which are Mexican cheeses).  When the peppers have baked 15 mins, take the tray out, flip them over, stuff with rice and bean mix and top with a little shredded cheese. Bake another 10 or 15 mins.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    I cook for a lot of my department's gatherings. I usually make bean/cheese chimichangas with creamy jalapeno salsa. For the bean/cheese chimis, I use 8 inch flour tortillas (make sure they don't have lard). Fill them with a little bit of beans and cheese. Tuck in the ends, and roll them up. I use toothpicks to keep them closed until I put them into the fryer. Then, I heat the oil until it's ready. I toss the chimis in the oil and fry them until they're golden brown. For the creamy jalapeno salsa, you need: 3/4 cup whole milk 1 (1 ounce) packet hidden valley ranch dressing mix 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies 3/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, chips 3 tablespoons cilantro 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon lime juice Mix mayo, milk and ranch mix. Chop chilies, jalapenos, and cilantro together. (I use a food processor) Mix in salt, garlic powder, and lime. Add chile mixture to ranch. Refigerate for at least an hour. Top the chimis with the creamy jalapeno salsa and they're perfect. They taste amazing, and everyone always thinks they are much more complicated than they actually are.
    planning bio
    "My favorite color is fluorescent beige."
  • Options
    There's a cookbook called "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman. It's really awesome. It's HUGE, which seems intimidating, but the recipes are really simple. And you'll give you about 15 variations so you can make what you want with whatever you have in the house, basically.I like a good black bean chili, myself. Veggie lasagna and cheese enchiladas are also pretty easy, make-ahead dishes that can just go in the oven when one of you gets home from work.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    BEST VEGGIE COOKBOOK EVER!!  Rebar is my all time favorite  As well as the Moosewood books.  In the Garden of Vegan.They move WAY beyond the standard dishes, and are pretty fun and funky to cook!  Try the sweet potato perogies with caramelized leeks and smoked gouda.  to DIE for!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards