Louisiana-Baton Rouge

I'm new and I have NO idea what I'm doing

Hi.  Just got sort of quasi-engaged.  My boyfriend asked my parents if he could marry me.  They were thrilled and of course said yes.  Since I knew he was doing that, he wants it to be a surprise when he gives me the ring.  So anyway, I'm mostly engaged.  And now I have a wedding to plan and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing or where to start.  I have NEVER EVER been one of those girls who dreamed of getting married. In fact, up until about 2 years ago, I was pretty sure I wasn't getting married.  So I've given this absolutely no thought, whatsoever.  Any advice anyone has about anything at all would be super helpful.
Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince

Re: I'm new and I have NO idea what I'm doing

• edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement!  The first thing I would advise would be determining what kind of wedding you want, church and/or hall.  Then book the ceremony and reception locations along with meeting with your officiant to discuss marriage requirements
  • melissalyn05melissalyn05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is important that you book your reception venue as soon as you decide where to have it. Some places book up up to a year in advance. Let me know if you want any information about any specific venues. I did a lot of research before I booked my wedding/reception site. Let us know if you have any specific questions about anything, you will probably get more/better responses with specific questions. Let us know what your wedding date is when you set it and what your budget is (if you don't mind) That will help us with helping you! Happy Planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations..well almost..haha...don't forget to ask any of us for advice! we are here to help each other out.  I would definitely start by deciding what kind of wedding you want big, small, intimate, destination, etc. That will prob give you an idea of what kind of wedding venues you need to look at. Also start thinking about a budget (how much you plan on spending and how much your and his parents plan on contributing) Like I said any questions, just ask, thats what this is for! Happy planning!!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on your almost engagement. The Knot has a great checklist that you could follow as a guideline. I would start out by deciding about how many guests you will have and then work on finding a ceremony site and reception venue.
  • edited December 2011
    almost congratulations!! i would say start on your budget first to see how much you have to spend on everything. after that you can decide what type of ambiance you want for your wedding... GL and be sure to come back and announce your engagement!!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the replies.  I'm starting to get some things figured out.  We decided on small: we're sending out 100 invitations.  We decided on the date: November 13, 2010 (we picked this date because LSU plays ULM and no one will be pissed about having to miss that game for our wedding :)  Am still working out the budget, but it's coming along.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • edited December 2011
    Oh November 13 is a great day to get engaged. I know someone else getting married on that day this year... I love small intimate weddings (It's what I'll have whenever he pops the question!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards